Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an interesting hobby with a productive outcome that was not too expensive for those winter nights.

Having been involved with programming when computers were just becoming available to the general public and now almost totally out of touch - this will be a way back in

This unit will apart from re-learning what I have forgotten and bringing me up-to date, will also give me a media player with which I will be able to get ITV player on my smart tv among many other things. No need nowadays to make your own pcb.

Just thought I would mention it for those who like me like to dabble.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hmm good luck with it all makem.....i've hinted for one as an upcoming birthday present, cant wait to start dabbling again it looks like a superb bit of kit & my linux etc is VERY rusty

I fancy building either a portable MAME type machine or use XBMC as a streamer for pushing stuff off my NAS around the house

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89s2h9swIc)

Edited by: philnicandamy

·
Registered
637 Posts
I do not have the first clue about Linux.... or Mac's for that matter... I haveunfortunatelybeen brought up on Dos and Windows.

<div style="text-align: center;">This should make you smile :

<div style="text-align: center;">[TUBE]http://youtu.be/62uk3dBI8DY[/TUBE]

<div style="text-align: center;">

·
Registered
637 Posts
It was crazy, we had Atari STE, Amiga 500+, Spectum ZX81 / zx80 , Vic20, Dragon, Amstrad 464 (yay to green screens)... then I got my first PC which was a DX2-66 (66mhz processor ha, most doorbells are more advanced these days...
), with a 200mb hard drive... I remember thinking "how will I fill all of that space??"..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can beat that!

My first computer was a BBC 32mb one! No HD and I went to college to learn how to use it while I waited for it to be delivered. I was the first to record over the air, a program transmitted by the BBC and almost ran to college to test it!

I ended up with the Archimedes top of the range machine and programmed it in machine code and assembler to operate a robot arm I 'acquired'. I remember my very first ambition was to write a program to fly through a city but I never had enough memory.

Later I found that I must use winblows because they had cornered the market in most software. So, I donated my beautiful, never had a virus Archimedes, to a young boy just starting out and bought a PC . I did some BASIC and C++ programming in the early days but lost interest. I had a look at Linux a year or two ago but it seemed to 'techie' and needed a virtual PC to run what I needed. My Humax PVRso uses Linux and I have installed custom software wich makes it the bees knees, so, it would be helpful if I had another reason to learn some Linux.

There is a RPi club near me and from what I gather there are clubs springing up all around the country.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
philnicandamy said:
Hmm good luck with it all makem.....i've hinted for one as an upcoming birthday present, cant wait to start dabbling again it looks like a superb bit of kit & my linux etc is VERY rusty

I fancy building either a portable MAME type machine or use XBMC as a streamer for pushing stuff off my NAS around the house

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89s2h9swIc)
£50 on Amazon buys everything you need.

I will use XBMC just to get ITV player. MAME, I seem to remember that name. I think my son had hundreds of games? for it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I was thinking of buying a raspberry pi, just for fact of having one. You know , don't open it, put it away in some dusty attic to be discovered 50 years later when its value has gone up by 10p sort of thing...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Davis_Zadian said:
I was thinking of buying a raspberry pi, just for fact of having one. You know , don't open it, put it away in some dusty attic to be discovered 50 years later when its value has gone up by 10p sort of thing...
Hmm knowing my luck it'd have dropped down £20 quid or so...

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is more my sort of level (by that I mean way lower down then all you programmers out there), you have to build the arm, which comes in several pieces (some of which the cat walks off with so you have to arm wrestle the cat to get back from her )... then you get the software to mess about with it. Runs off USB port. I got this from Maplin

Edited by: Davis_Zadian

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I have been beaten to it lol

Brilliant tho.

This Pi seems to have all the inputs and out puts of a PC so what you can do with it is up2U!

I will certainly be dabbling happily.

Anybody else gets involved let me know what you are up22

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Russbow said:
I have a Pi - never use it. Interfacing is a nightmare. Rejected the Arduino route as too lazy to learn C.

Have spent many happy hours with PicAxe. Free software and manuals, cheap processor chips, easy basic type language.

Got gadget on my bench now measuring temperature, relative humidity, air pressure etc. Great cheap hobby.

http://www.picaxe.com/Getting-Started/Purchasing-a-Starter-Kit/
Want to send me your Pi then? Mine is working perfectly and I didn't have to learn anything except to crib routines from the net. I have a cheap always on NAS and if you have no use for your Pi maybe we can come to an arrangement

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Davis_Zadian said:
This is more my sort of level (by that I mean way lower down then all you programmers out there), you have to build the arm, which comes in several pieces (some of which the cat walks off with so you have to arm wrestle the cat to get back from her )... then you get the software to mess about with it. Runs off USB port.
I had a simialr one of those that we used in the lab many years ago. It was a bit more 'industrial'. We used it for testing fingerprint brushes to destruction! I had fun when the BBC computers first came out trying to program it in BASIC but it was worse than watching paint dry. So, I tried Assembler, a little better, but needed machine code to get it to take things from the kids and put them elsewhere.

We made and programmed a plotter and found that more useful and interesting. I wonder if they make those in plastic now.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
637 Posts
makem said:
I wonder if they make those in plastic now

deleted first version of what I put here, not going to get into a 'mine was better then yours' war. I bow to your superior METAL version.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"I wonder if they make those in plastic" referred to a plotter, not an arm.

The 'metal' one wasn't mine anyway. I don't think plastic had been invented then!

Seriously though, if yo do happen to see a plotter around for a similar price I would be interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That has huge potential for "PicAxing". One 20m2 chip should do it. Total control of servos, motors etc. Add a few blinking LEDs & controlled by a TV remote if you like.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts