Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have not been on here for a while but have a problem which I think you should all be aware of.I tried to twist off my radiator cap yesterday and the four plastic lugs snapped off leaving a section of the plug stuck in the expansion tank. I have ordered a new cap from Amazon and some silicone grease as apparently the problem is the rubber gets hot and expands and then when you try to twist the cap off the workings are stuck tight hence the four plastic lugs snapping off on the underside of the top of the cap.

This is just a heads up so that you don,t get the same thing happen to you. I would suggest trying to gently undo your cap,then put a smearing of silicon grease around the inside and then put back on but don,t over tighten it.
Has anyone on here had the same problem ? I know this is a known fault as I have had a good look on the internet and looked at reviews on Amazon etc . Apparently the part that is stuck in the tank is a real bugger to get out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks for that, Carl. Forwarned is forearmed !
p.s When you say radiator cap you mean the plastic expansion tank cap, yes ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen.And you're right, it's a right pig to remove the thing. I had several attempts to get the thing out and at one stage thought i'd need a new expansion tank.I'm afraid only brute force with a couple of screwdrivers gotit out. And I also did grease the rubber seals on the new cap.
I now remove the cap every few weeks to ensure it doesn't get stuck again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hywel S Wales said:
Thanks for that, Carl. Forwarned is forearmed !
p.s When you say radiator cap you mean the plastic expansion tank cap, yes ?
Yes mate that,s the one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pegleg said:
I had exactly the same thing happen.And you're right, it's a right pig to remove the thing. I had several attempts to get the thing out and at one stage thought i'd need a new expansion tank.I'm afraid only brute force with a couple of screwdrivers gotit out. And I also did grease the rubber seals on the new cap.
I now remove the cap every few weeks to ensure it doesn't get stuck again.
I could not get mine out so went to the Ford garage. They said they have done quite a few so it is a known problem. I think it,s a design fault as the four plastic lugs are not strong enough and snap easily. I have ordered a new cap from Amazon and then the Ford mechanic will do it for me as I don,t want to risk breaking the expansion tank. I will also check it every month now mate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts