Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like i have joined the ranks for a replacement screen!(only working on drivers side) Booked in for inspection on Wednesday 11th, but dealer has to see it first and then get approval from Ford, although i have e.mailed good clear photos to dealer. Will post update following visit.
Also still only managing 36 mpg which is most dissapointing for my 1ltr 100ps. What should be the ideal vehicle for my needs is again let down by annoying malfunctions!Not exactly pleased, redfive.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Cant help with the mpg other than suggesting a more economical driving style. If the car is new, then it will improve as the engine loosens up.

The heated screen is powered via 2 fuses, one controlling each side. Maybe its just a blown fuse or more likely, a loose connection.

Also, i understand that this might be caused by the system disabing one side when battery charge is low.

Hope this info is of help.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi cianpars, thanks for your reply.Will see what dealer finds concerning screen problem as vehicle has only done 6400 miles. As the mpg has been so poor, i have constantly driven with the greatest care, keeping my tyre pressures correct, no excess weight being carried etc. All the leaves on the ecomode screen are always green, so don't see what else i can do. Perhaps it will eventually improve as the mileage increases.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I always run with 4 or 5 extra pounds of tyre pressure which helps with economy and i find gives a slightly firmer ride and better handling on my Fiesta. Haven't noticed any uneven wear as a result.

Of course if most of your driving is in town traffic, I would be surprised if you got over 40 mpg, though 36 seems a bit low.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on quick clear screen.Good service from my dealer today. Tested and confirmed passenger side screen ellement failed and requested Ford to suply replacement. Dealer says to expect replacement will take 2 to 3 days.Will keep all my fingers crossed that it happens as expected. Will update again in due course.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hope all goes well with the replacement. You are not the first to have had this problem.

Keep us posted and make sure they dont make a mess of the rubbers and keep an eye out for leaks afterwards. Perhaps the can pressure wash the screen to check.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, just called the dealer concerning my screen replacement.Was originally told that Ford had sanctioned replacement and would be supplied in 2 to 3 days! I did think this was optimistic but hoped for the best. As nothing heard so far i have just called for a update and could not believe the reply,quote, Ford have NOT sanctioned replacement (even though the dealer has three clear photos of the obvious defect and the dealers technitian carried out the required tests) I have been asked to take the vehicle back to the dealer so that they can carry out further tests! When i enquired what the tests consisted of i was told it would be "a steam test" Aggghhh
So they then got my own reply which has resulted in the dealer promising to collect the B Max next Tuesday and return it later that day.Will keep you all posted in due course.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had the same problem. The dealer performed the 'coffee cup' test but not enough condensation was created to get a photo that was acceptable to Ford.I was invited to take the car home and do the 'kettle test'.
The dealer test was two hot cups of coffee. For reasons of H&S they are not allowed to put a steaming kettle on the dash so I took it home, performed the 'kettle test', took a photo, sent it to the dealer who then got approval from Ford.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Three photos emailed to dealer showing half screen iced up. Technitian confirmed he had carried out steam test so what more do they want for a well documented defect on a vehicle with only 6500 miles on clock? Have just sent off lengthy e mail to dealer head office asking for my complaint AND disgust, to be presented to their senior management for comment!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Going back to your mpg issue, it just ocurred to me that the aircon will cost you 3 or 4 mpg if you leave it on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi cianpars and other suporters, thanks.Still waiting for a response to my email from dealer.As for the poor mpg.i was actually acheiving 38.7 last summer when using aircon at times but only getting 35.7 at present when certainly not in use! and no other changes to driving style or type of journey's iether.Hope all you other B Maxers have a less troublesome 2017.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Early days for me, but i will be happy with anything over 40 mpg despite what the officiial figures say.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick clear screen saga update.After numerous e mails to various members of staff at my ford dealership,the B Max was collected from my home by 9am today by a very very appologetic service manager who has promised to return it with a new screen before the day is out. I am now keeping everything crossed that the problem will be resolved and will confirm results in due course.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on outcome of screen defect. Service manager called me at 1.30pm to say that a new screen was being installed and that B Max would be returned after adhesive had cured for a couple of hours. He delivered it at 4pm, valleted and with a FULL tank of fuel, further appologising for my understandable frustration with the poor attention to my complaint. He then handed me his business card, instucting me to call him personally if an future problems occured. I shall be e mailing the dealer to thank them for the eventual satisfactory result.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can someone please identify where the independent fuses are for the quick clear windscreen.
I recall the same issue affected the Fusions but can't recall the location of fuses

1 - 20 of 22 Posts