Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just became the new owner of a B max, after part ex the Cmax earlier this week. Moved from a 1.8TDCI Zetec to the 1 Ltr ecoboost titanium in tectonic silver. C max was great but was starting to dig into my wallet, 7 years old. I find the B max great to drive. I looked on here a few weeks ago to see what people were saying. I was mindful that moving from a diesel to petrol may of effected the mpg figures but I must say on my daily commute, telford to M5 junction 1, 98% motorway, the car is great. avg is 54 mpg, completed miles=125 with 422 still in the tank.

I have two questions though, my cruise control on button does nothing but by using set+ and set- I can still get the cruise control to work. is this a fault, normal? I believe a visit to ford maybe required, after I ensure I have tried all the functions first. Hope the list is very small

Secondly, my calls, on snyc via my Bluetooth, Lumia 820, some calls go automatically to privacy,I can't hear them and they can't hear meand some do not. any ideas? is there a way to switch this on or off? I only got a quick demo of sync when I picked the car up. the manual is not clear on this.

thanks all and happy driving.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi there 'certed', and welcome to the site

With the cruise control, I believe that you press the central button 1st, and then use either the +, or - either side to set the speed.

However, if you brake, or slow down, I think the cruise control has a tendency to switch off. As I've not personally tried this function, I'm not certain, however, I've sent your queries forward to another member, who should be able to give you some sound advice, on both this function, and the SYNC problem with your mobile.

In the meantime, very happy motoring

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I use cruise control as follows:

1. Press centre 'ON' button and use the throttle to achieve your desired speed.
2. Press top SET+ button to set cruise control to your current speed and rest your foot.

If you brake:

3. Press the CAN/RES button on the right to RESUME the previously set speed. You need to be in the same gear as you were when you first set the speed.

If you want to increase the speed of travel whilst cruising:

4 Press the SET+ button. For each press you will feel an increase in speed.

If you want to decrease the speed of travel whilst cruising:

4 Press the SET- button. For each press you will feel an decrease in speed.

5. The OFF button obvious turns off the cruise control.

If you stop the engine:

6. All cruise control settings are lost.

Who can describe the use of the CAN (CANcel?) button other than to RESUME?

I use the + & - to fine tune my speed such as when you are catching up with the car in front, you can slow down slightly to match their speed if you don't want to overtake.

It is also handy and fun to use the + to increase your speed after entering a 40mph zone from a 30mph zone etc.

It is the first time I have had cruise control and I will make sure every future car has it. I think using it correctly, especially to accelerate/decelerate (+&-), saves fuel and shoe leather lol.

EDIT: Forgot to mention if you accelerate using the gas pedal whilst cruising, when you take your foot off, the speed will return to the set speed.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agree with Makem, it's so easy to go though posted speed zones exactly on the mark, and on duel carriage ways, I run it up to 60MPH set cruise (using methods set out by Makem above) and get comfortable..

I had a police car behind me in a 30 zone, and using the speed control I remained at 30 without fluctuation, to their utter annoyance.... they were tail gating me too though the village...

I wish I had a rear facing journey cam

As for the Phone issue, I have had a look on the SYNC community forum, and someone has posted the same issues you have stated. They have also posted a work around until microsoft and / or ford update their systems.

Please check out the 2 pages (work around on page 2), on this site :http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=6427

Cheers.

Edited by: Davis_Zadian

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi guys, thanks for the replys. My question is, when I press the cruise on button, nothing indicates on the dash, where the manual states the cruise indicator lights up. Then you remove your foot of the accelerator and fine tune with the +/- buttons. So when you press the on button does everyone elses dash light up or not as mine does not until I press the plus or minus. Thanks for the tip on the windows phone makeum.

·
Registered
637 Posts
certed said:
Thanks for the tip on the windows phone makeum.

With Cruise Control (CC), there is no indication on the dashboard until the system engages.

1: Press ON (this tells the computer to ONLY monitor the current speed you are travelling at. Its a prompt to the car to say "hey, in a moment, you're taking over"...
2: Pressing + or - AFTER pressing ON, engages CC at the speed you are travelling at, at the precise time you press + or -.

If you are travelling down a road and press + or - first , without pressing ON, nothing will happen.

When you tune in a radio, do you go straight to the frequency changer? or do you power on the radio first?... same applies with the cruise control.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
certed said:
hi guys, thanks for the replys. My question is, when I press the cruise on button, nothing indicates on the dash, where the manual states the cruise indicator lights up. Then you remove your foot of the accelerator and fine tune with the +/- buttons. So when you press the on button does everyone elses dash light up or not as mine does not until I press the plus or minus. Thanks for the tip on the windows phone makeum.
You will see a small green icon low right hand side of the speedo. It comes on when it is active. I have never actually watched to see at what stage it comes on but I would assume it does not come on until you have pressed the 'ON' button AND you have pressed the 'SET' button at least once.

In my mind I see it as the system is ON and waiting to be told at what speed. In practice I turn it on and later, when I have achieved the correct speed I press the 'SET' button once.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all, Whilst on the subject of cruise, a police officer once gave me some sound advice. "Do not use cruise in snow ice or rainy conditions." If you should skid on ice or aquaplane on a large puddle you will be in deep doo doo!

·
Registered
26 Posts
makem said:
certed said:
...I would assume it does not come on until you have pressed the 'ON' button AND you have pressed the 'SET' button at least once.....

hi makem, can you confirm this?

the manual cleary shows that pressing ON will turn on the indicator..and this is how it has to be... not when after setting the speed..

if it is as you assumed, what happen to the indicater after you brake or cancelled the cruise? indicator goes off?

if it is, something is not right here.. imagine system is ON, no indication butRESUME will work. (with RESUME there can be sudden accelaration)

·
Registered
26 Posts
makem said:
...Who can describe the use of the CAN (CANcel?) button other than to RESUME?..

btw,

CAN/RES
CAN=cancel works when you are crusing at the set speed. pressing this when cruising at set speed, will cancel the cruising (equivalent to braking)
RES=resume works when you have cancelled earlier set crusing speed..

·
Registered
637 Posts
<b style="line-height: 1.4;">Turning On:[/b]
(1) Press ON (there will be no indication on the dash at this point)
(2) Press + or - , this will engage the cruise control at the current speed you are traveling at (As soon as you press + or - an icon will appear on the dash display.

While On:
(1) to increase speed without disengaging the cruise control, press the + button repeatedly as it steps up the speed in increments.
(2) to decrease speed without disengaging the cruise control, press the - button repeatedly as it steps down the speed in increments.

To Pause:
(1) To temporally disengage the cruise control with the notion of using it again soon at the same speed, press cancel, this puts the car completely back into YOUR control and the icon is removed from the dashboard display.
(2) To resume cruise control mode back at the same speed you had it at last, press Resume

To Switch Off:
(1) Press Off. The icon on the dashboard is removed, the car is back in your complete control with cruise control now completely off. Note: you cannot press resume after pressing off, as the memory is cleared.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ok..

again contradicting from what is mentioned from the manual..

looks like it's Ford way of turning ON cruise control without indication ?
.. strange..never seen this in the cars i driven so far..

btw my 2007 C4 picasso was little ahead by time. indicator comes ON the moment cruise control turn ON, SET speed is shown in the display when it's done and remains there even if you cancelled it.. you know what speed you are going back when you RESume and the indicator is off only when you switch it off

it's all come down to the software implementation..maybe by saving lines of codes in different modules (cruise, aircond,etc), Ford saved on the hardware also (cpu power,ram,etc)

that said, it (B-MAX) is what it is and what it's meant for (can't compare to everyting).. i'm still eagarly waiting mine to arrive and can't wait to have my hand on it..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Davis_Zadian said:
To Pause:
(1) To temporally disengage the cruise control with the notion of using it again soon at the same speed, press cancel, this puts the car completely back into YOUR control and the icon is removed from the dashboard display.
(2) To resume cruise control mode back at the same speed you had it at last, press Resume
That is very convenient.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sync privacy sorted this morning, went back to ford, they re-calibrated the SYNC module and no problems with calls, no privacy tab highlighted. I can now hear dialling tone and calls connect no problem. Nokia lumia 820 interacts with text messages and reads and sends text messages now, even though ford website says it can't.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well done

Was that a booked UK appointment, or did you just arrive unannounced and they did It?

Did they charge you for the upgrade ??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In warranty, car 1 week old. Called Saturday to talk to someone about SYNC, said bring it down, booked Tuesday morning, had it for about and hour. I just told them, when I say to SYNC, call Home, it dials, the call is answered and it goes quiet both ends until the call is ended. they updated the SYNC module and now it works with reading and sending texts on my Nokia lumia 820.
my system info is now

CCPU:
EC216H65.8
.10349_sp0
VMCU:
Vector_VMC
U_03.00.07

I have also got new selections in my audio settings, as news reports can now be selected/deselected.

No charge, all warranty work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts