·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
136 Posts
They are not cheaper in adjusted values
Average incomes in 1960 were around £15 a week, less than 40p per hourso a mini was about 8 months wages while today its closer to 6 months. A TV would cost over a months wages and they were very unreliable so most people rented them. The only things that have gone up in real terms are items that are taxed more heavily today such as cigarettes.

Your white loaf may have increased by 2764 % but then the average wage has gone up by 2800 %
Food prices have plummeted in real terms as a result of a world wide low cost supply system while availability has gone up. If you had tried to buy soft fruit of fresh salad veg in the winter of 1960 people would have called you mad. I am old enough to recall paying 5s 11d a gallon for petrol in the 1960's but then I was only getting paid 7 guineas (£7.35p) a week as a technical apprentice. The qualified guys were getting a stunning £20 per week !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Around about 1962 I was driving a mini van - on Friday night (payday) i could drive to local garage (not self service) and get four gallon of petrol and a packet of **** then nip across the road for a half of lager before I went home ... that was all out of a quid and I think I had some change - I seem to remember the petrol was three and eleven pence ha'penny a gallon.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
zhorian said:
Around about 1962 I was driving a mini van - on Friday night (payday) i could drive to local garage (not self service) and get four gallon of petrol and a packet of **** then nip across the road for a half of lager before I went home ... that was all out of a quid and I think I had some change - I seem to remember the petrol was three and eleven pence ha'penny a gallon.
Drinking and driving, tut tut

1 - 7 of 7 Posts