Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group my 2016 powershift Bmax has been at the local Ford dealer having the powershift judder looked at. Just had a phone call from the dealer saying they have ordered the new updated clutch pack from Ford, say it is in Stock and the dealer should receive within 5 days and will be covered under warranty. I can collect my car and continue driving until the parts arrive.
This was my second visit to the dealer regarding judder. The first visit was a software update and relearn, which did nothing.
Has anyone one here had the new Clutch pack and does it fix the problem?
I had no trouble at all from the dealer and so far they have been spot on.
I will keep the group updated. Hoping this is the final fix as I love the car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Tall_BMax_driver said:
Hi group my 2016 powershift Bmax has been at the local Ford dealer having the powershift judder looked at. Just had a phone call from the dealer saying they have ordered the new updated clutch pack from Ford, say it is in Stock and the dealer should receive within 5 days and will be covered under warranty. I can collect my car and continue driving until the parts arrive.
This was my second visit to the dealer regarding judder. The first visit was a software update and relearn, which did nothing.
Has anyone one here had the new Clutch pack and does it fix the problem?
I had no trouble at all from the dealer and so far they have been spot on.
I will keep the group updated. Hoping this is the final fix as I love the car.
Good news and bad news!
I have had the new clutch pack and it completely cured the judder.
Now the bad news....I was left with a continuous vibration, felt throughout the car, whenever the engine was running.
This was 'fixed' by undoing all the bolts holding the clutch pack, in place, and ensuring that they were centred very precisely and re tightening. This fixed the strong vibration but left me with a car that generated a buzz, felt through the steering wheel and various other parts of the car. This 'buzz' is sufficient to make hands and fingers numb on longer journeys.
I am now due to return to get my second, new design clutch pack, having already had two of the old design. I am now on first name terms with most people at the Ford dealers!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Had my new clutch pack fitted a month ago tomorrow, done about 500 miles since and the car has been a pleasure to drive so far.

There's still an occasional roughness evident, but its possible now to enjoy the pleasant growl that the engine emits after changing down and building up speed for the next gear, and the note of the engine can even make you believe sometimes that you're driving something considerably more powerful.

Only slight bugbear following the clutch change is that a few days after getting the car back I noticed some oil on a bracket under the engine, which turned out to be the result of a leaking driveshaft/ diff oil seal. The dealer renewed it without quibble, but I would advise anyone who gets the clutch done to check under the car after a few hundred miles just to make sure all the seals are dry and intact.

I read a very interesting article written for the American market it which it was stated that some of the early problems were due to consumers believing that Powershift cars should drive like hydraulic automatics, and complaining when they didn't. The Powershift is, of course, a manual with electronically controlled automatic shift, and early complaints in the US were not only focused on the notorious judder, but about unexpected gear changes.

Once you accept that this gearbox ISN'T a bog standard, hydraulic automatic and that it does have quirks, it becomes easier to enjoy driving it.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160105/BLOG06/301059997/ford-gets-the-powershift-dual-clutch-transmission-right-but-is-it-too-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, group just wanted to report back with my experience of the new Clutch pack, now installed in my B-Max.
I have driven 250 miles since it was fitted 3 days ago and so far so good.
The car drives like a dream with no judder or hesitation at all.
The gear changes are smooth and positive.
Acceleration is vastly improved. I urge any powershift owners having problems to to persue replacement of the clutch. Also great to know the warranty has been extended to 7 years by Ford.
A very happy B-Max powershift owner.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great news to hear that the clutch change has gone well for you.

However, last I heard, the gearbox warranty on Ford cars with Powershift in the UK was five years, although it is seven in Oz and the US, as well as (almost unbelievably) 10 years in Brazil.

Unless you were told otherwise by your dealer, in which case Happy Days!

·
Registered
120 Posts
So just to clarify, the new clutch that you've just had fitted is warrantied for how long?

Only asking because I assumed that mine is only covered until the car is five years from first registration, which will be next June.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

I'll ring our dealer and get them to check with Ford to make sure they're aware of the further 2 year extension.

Given this information, I might even hang onto the car for a bit longer than I originally intended.

Can't imagine that Ford would view my car any differently, given that the clutch pack is virtually brand new.

Edited by: desthemoaner

·
Registered
311 Posts
When I bought my (2014) BMax in October 2017, I was told the car had the updated clutch.
It now only has about 5,500 miles on the clock, and have noticed a slight judder on acceleration when it gets hot. As I only use this car for short journeys, it doesn't often get that hot.
On another BMax forum, a woman said she'd had the clutch on her 9,000mile mobility car changed three times.
Take this with a pinch of salt if you wish, but I did see it suggested that it's the way people drive these cars. BMax owners don't tend to be boy racers. What he did, (as a car mechanic) was give them
the "Italian Service". Get the car hot, stop on a quiet bit of straight road, and floor the loud pedal. Do this three times and he reckoned this cured the problem. I haven't tried it yet.

What Ford should have done, is used a CVT gearbox. Even if it meant making one under license from another manufacturer. Touch wood, I've never had a problem with my Civic Hybrid, which has a CVT..
I intend replacing that with a Lexus hybrid, which also has a CVT gearbox.

Just to add, I was told the gearbox warranty was 5 yrs. Usually with a repair under the original car warranty, the warranty period isn't extended. For instance, if your NEW car has a 24 month warranty and you make a claim for a new gearbox at 20 months, that gearbox will only be covered for the remainder of the warranty period of 4 months. That's the way it used to work anyway, maybe things have changed over the years ?

Edited by: Hadrian1

·
Registered
273 Posts
A couple of points...1.
I had two early replacement clutch packs. Both failed, hardly surprising as I found out later that they were 'old' design but Ford and their dealers had to clear these from the shelves first. The new design IS a fix, when you get it.
When the judder first appeared, Ford believed that it could be fixed by software updates and, if necessary, a replacement electronic control unit. It is this unit that the extended warranty applies to NOT the clutch pack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello All

I was first in here in 2016, I bought a 12 plate then, judder was there, updated computer on it, changed the clutch last year, there is a new manager is my branch, he speaks in a roundabout way. There are no updates on these clutches, one min, he said they can't get it right and stopped doing them now! He's offered, nothing ever in writing from them, to diagnose if I pay £99, then change the clutch again, although it's not juddering too much, I thought I'd get longer put if him, as initially he offered an extended warranty if 2 years with me laying 25% bit since told me today, it's about £3,000 to change them! Your thoughts anyone - thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Course it is!! they can't fix it, they've stopped doing them now! I would action something with ombudsman but they never put anything in writing! Oh believe me, I've had my clutch changed, it costs £3,000 so I'm told, the extended two year warranty offered to me they want 25% paid by me
disgusting, sold the car to me in 2016 faulty!! Told them to change the clutch again before it gets a proper judder back, because they give a 12 month warranty on it! This new manager admitted, it will never be fixed! Only when he thought I might want a new one!!!! One service guy who left to work for another car could, told me they can't fix it and to sell it on! Why charge me?? Anybody else been told this? I will go back to Janet in complaints?!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.