Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've just retired from work, I bought myself a car. It is the first car that I've bought for myself since 1982 as, throughout my career, I've been fortunate to have been provided with various company cars over the years. I bought a 2016 B-Max Titanium Powershift with just 11,000 miles on the clock from a local Ford main dealer. Being used to driving automatic cars, after just three weeks of driving the car, I became aware of the 'juddering' when gently trying to accelerate from around speeds of 10-20 mph and 1,500 rpm. Initially, I thought front tyre pressure or road surface issues, but now after finding this forum and reading the comments in various threads, I beginning to wonder whether my decision to purchase this car was correct. No Ford warranty left on the vehicle but got three months dealer warranty on the car, so I'm leaving the car at the dealer for them to investigate. From reading the comments here, when I describe the symptoms at the dealership, I'm sure they will know of the issues! Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. After my B-Max was off the road for 2 weeks, the main Ford dealer advised that they had fitted a 'new full clutch system' and replaced some 'drive shaft bearing seals' with all repairs covered under the three month warranty. So, after collecting my car three weeks ago and covering just another circa 250 miles without any issues, guess what? The same symptoms returned this morning, only more severely than last time. When travelling slow in rush out traffic this morning and pulling away at around 1,000 to 1,500 revs, there was a real 'juddering' accompanied with a 'loss of power' for what was about 4 or 5 seconds. When power did kick in, the rev counter shot up to circa 5,000 revs without really moving me forward. So, I've just dropped off the car at the main dealer (drive of 12 miles without any issues though most of journey was on a dual carriage way at 60 mhp) and asked for the Sales Manager, who was out. I've left the car with the Service Department and advised them that I'm to email them stating that the car is not 'fit for purpose' and that it is not of 'merchantable quality' and demanded that they rebate the cost which I paid for the car.

Yes Gremlin, the car is an ex-mobility. To answer Hadrian 1, when I collected the car after the first repair, the dealership would not give my any paperwork whatsoever but simply advised me of the repair they had carried out and that the cost is to be invoice back to Ford under the warranty and would show on all Ford's records on my car. Wonder if they only did a repair or computer reset?

I'll update you on what happens next!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for the responses. After my B-Max was off the road for 2 weeks, the main Ford dealer advised that they had fitted a 'new full clutch system' and replaced some 'drive shaft bearing seals' with all repairs covered under the three month warranty. So, after collecting my car three weeks ago and covering just another circa 250 miles without any issues, guess what? The same symptoms returned this morning, only more severely than last time. When travelling slow in rush out traffic this morning and pulling away at around 1,000 to 1,500 revs, there was a real 'juddering' accompanied with a 'loss of power' for what was about 4 or 5 seconds. When power did kick in, the rev counter shot up to circa 5,000 revs without really moving me forward. So, I've just dropped off the car at the main dealer (drive of 12 miles without any issues though most of journey was on a dual carriage way at 60 mhp) and asked for the Sales Manager, who was out. I've left the car with the Service Department and advised them that I'm to email them stating that the car is not 'fit for purpose' and that it is not of 'merchantable quality' and demanded that they rebate the cost which I paid for the car.

Yes Gremlin, the car is an ex-mobility. To answer Hadrian 1, when I collected the car after the first repair, the dealership would not give my any paperwork whatsoever but simply advised me of the repair they had carried out and that the cost is to be invoice back to Ford under the warranty and would show on all Ford's records on my car. Wonder if they only did a repair or computer reset?

I'll update you on what happens next!
Sounds like they just did a software update. Don't back down. Push the garage for the Nov/Dec 2017 redesigned clutch pack. Nothing else will fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback Number 6. Got a meeting at 12 today with the dealer Sales Manager. I will be pushing hard for my money to be returned . If that fails and we can't agree on a deal for an alternative car, I will ask about the redesigned clutch pack you mentioned. Appreciate your input. Many thanks. Meach

·
Registered
311 Posts
When you purchase a used Powershift Bmax, it is standard procedure for the dealer to tell you the clutch pack has been changed previously. When you get a problem they will also try to tell you that your particular car isn't affected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is your car an automatic? I'm having exactly the same problem with my 2016 ex motability B Max which I bought from a main dealer two weeks ago. I thought it was a problem with the traction control so I turned it off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, New to the forum & you've guessed it. Got a Bmax powershift with the dreaded judder.
It's a 1.6 engine 2016 model. I bought it last year with only 2900 miles on the clock.
It was fine for the first few months but the judder appeared at about Christmas & has got gradually worse. Also, the dash info keeps flat-lining. When it does this there are just dashes like this --- instead of the usual info like miles left to running out of petrol etc.
I have noticed that no one else seems to have mentioned this problem. If I pull over & turn off the ignition then start the car again it goes back to normal. All very well around town but I can hardly do this on a motorway!
Also, the engine warning light came on today but has gone off now.
My wife will be phoning Ford's customer care line tomorrow but if there's any help or info any of you could give us in the meantime we would be grateful.
TIA, Mart...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts