Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put a power outlet in the boot for some equipment I have. Just the regular cigar lighter type.

I need to find where I can pick up a power supply such as used for a trailer. I see that a tow ball is available from Ford so maybe the wiring harness already has a pick up point.

I would appreciate it if anybody comes across a diagram for the B-MAX or any similar car if they would pass on the source.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Could you splice into one of the cables that powers the rear lights and situate the socket somewhere round there? Years ago I did something similar and it seemed to work fine.
If you do that though I believe it means you won't have power when the engine is off (ideal for saving battery) but maybe not so good for you intended use?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I could do that but it has a big problem.

The feed would be on the wrong size fuse and although it is fine for me as my load is quite small I would need to cut it out if I ever sold the car.

There will be a live permanent feed to the light which could be used if you made your own earth.

I would prefer to make it a permanent fitting, looking as if it was there when the car was built.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi, Mate,I would suggest caution with this. Wiring looms on cars these days also include data cabling, so you can't really just tap into things, and I would steer clear of lights wiring, which I believe may be digitally monitored.

I have tried looking for you under trailer electrics to see if there was a diagram, but they don't seem to have produced a DIY kit yet, so no answer there, although I get the impression that there is a plug specifically designed as a take off for trailer wiring somewhere.

Is your cigar lighter/accessoryconnector not located at the rear of the center consul? If so, you could take a seperately fused feed from that, perhaps?

I know where you are coming from, my C max had a socket in the boot, very handy for a cool box!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ford are selling a wiring kit on their accessories page. It is for a towbar but the picture shows a 'box' in the boot and they also sell cool boxes.

I spoke to Ford service about it and they had not heard of it yet. The cost for the necessary wiring is abut £15 but they recommended dealer or towbar supplier fitting. However, they would wouldn't they? Especially as they had not heard of it.

If somebody buys this it would be interesting to see the fitting instructions which the dealer must give you if you can buy it off the shelf.

I have wired 3 cars for towing but as you point out, these cars may be a little different in their requirements. However if they sell the wire off the shelf..............

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the box you mention is a sort of interface, to do with CANbus as you mention in the temperature guage thread. I saw it under a towbar site, but relating to a recent Transit, so that is probably the technology. I would think that the existing wiring to the other accessory socket would be simple though.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have already bought the necessary cable to take power off the rear socket and found a way to take it through to the boot. This was for a Traffic antenna for my Garmin. The idea being that it could be virtually hidden along the back of the rear seats and stay there permanently. It would just mean removing the power lead and hiding the length (2ft) between the rear seat and the power socket from thieves when you leave the car. I will get around to sorting that when the weather is warmer.

I suppose I could do as you suggest but I don't like having cables visibly plugged in when the vehicle is unoccupied. It suggests something worth having in the bot which in today's cars is easily accessible. A cool-box needs constant power. Having already had a car broken into when a long way from home I am very wary now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did a bit more research on this trailer business, and it looks like the recommended source of DC power for a 13 pin tow socket is a seperate fused supply from the battery,

Here:http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/58341-ford-mondeo-towbar-questions/

I think you would be much better off tapping a fresh cable (fused and suitable guage wire) off the cigar lighter terminal and running it under the carpets to your cigar lighter socket in the boot so it wouldn't be seen. You would not need the box unless you want to fit a tow bar. I hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts