Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 63 registered B-Max 1.4 petrol. Car fine until last year when there was an occasional loss of power. This only lasted a few seconds before normal service restored. No warning lights came on. Dealer checked during service in September. No fault codes so could not take any action.

This year problem has been happening more frequently (but still only every 10 days or so). Dealer had car for 3 days earlier this month but power loss did not occur during their test drives. Again no fault codes on diagnostic computer. Car okay for a week then a series of incidents - some near home, others at end of longish journey- but all only 5-7 secs and power then restored. However, on Monday lost power on hill and came to a halt. Called Ford assist and AA attended. Their computer showed no fault code. Car then driven to dealer where it remains.

Not confident that dealer is going to sort this problem. Has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm going to have a guess at this and say it is intermittent coil failure. Only because I have seen this occur in the past. It's just a hunch and we will see if I am proved right.

Surprised that this doesn't throw up a fault code, but intermittant problems can't really be diagnosed unless a mechanic can replicate it.

Does it only happen when the engine is hot, o ly on wet days or only under certain circumstances or is it completely random?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for these points. I had been thinking that this problem happens completely randomly but now you mention weather I cannot think of an occasion when it has been raining - always in the dry. With regard to hot or cold engine it can be just after starting off from home or some way through a journey.

The only other consistent factor is that the power loss is only for a few seconds (10 secs max). The engine continues to run with no juddering and quickly goes back to normal.

As I expected dealer did not experience any fault while using the car as a runabout for a couple of days (about 60 miles). There is often a gap of 10 days or so between incidents.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Ive seen this happen with coils a few times, condensers occasionally and my only other thought at this stage is a apark plug intermittently breaking down.

Also check all 4 ht leads to the plugs are fitting securely.

Once you eliminate electeical and ignition components, focus tends to shift to the fuel injection system.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have also seen HT leads break down intermittently and just changing their position can fix this.

How many miles on the clock?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Ford B Max eco boost purchased new in 2013. No problems at all until this year when out of warranty, in May, the car just died after leaving a roundabout. I was on my way to pick up my two year old grandson. Nothing showed on the screen and the AA was unable to find fault. I was eventually charged for a new fuel pump. However on A 11 coming back from London with my two year old and four year old grandchildren today, I had just come off the stag roundabout,on a major A road and in the overtaking lane and the same thing happened again. This time I was left in a very dangerous position as I had to negotiate getting into the slow lane before coming to a halt. If it had been the M25 it could have caused a dreadful accident. I am livid. I think there must be a fault in the manufacture of these cars. It was an exact copy of the previous incident. I will not be paying for another repair and as a sixty six year old grandmother I have really lost confidence in this car. I loved the design and am so disappointed that something like this could shake my confidence in Ford so much. Please keep in touch if you have this happen again. Perhaps this is why they are discontinuing the B Max?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 63 registered B-Max 1.4 petrol. Car fine until last year when there was an occasional loss of power. This only lasted a few seconds before normal service restored. No warning lights came on. Dealer checked during service in September. No fault codes so could not take any action.

This year problem has been happening more frequently (but still only every 10 days or so). Dealer had car for 3 days earlier this month but power loss did not occur during their test drives. Again no fault codes on diagnostic computer. Car okay for a week then a series of incidents - some near home, others at end of longish journey- but all only 5-7 secs and power then restored. However, on Monday lost power on hill and came to a halt. Called Ford assist and AA attended. Their computer showed no fault code. Car then driven to dealer where it remains.

Not confident that dealer is going to sort this problem. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Yes, twice. Both times on maijor roads and with my grandchildren in the car. Apparently this is a 'known issue' so why are they not recalling the cars and fixing them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts