1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Dilemma!!!!!
Have had my 1.8 diesel for over a year.
My wife loves it,I am happy enough. Thinking of a change of model(just thinking at this stage)it is between the 1.6 diesel or the 3pot petrol. Anyone care to offer a few words of wisdom,lovely thing is am in no hurry I have no need of new car have about 14500 miles on clock first reg in Oct 2013 Ford dem car I bought in February March 2013, it is not the top spec,middle of range. I wonder what is present trade in value. I am84 and my lady not too far behind. Used for shopping and holiday trips.
All comments appreciated.
arm987

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have the 1.6 crdi Titanium diesel which I am very pleased with. Fuel consumption is brilliant, mid 60's and I have not experienced any of the problems which seem to plague some owners. The small 3 cylinder eco model disappoints many owners because it does not produce the fuel figures claimed by Ford, and someautomatic models have been subjected to major repairs. If you are used to diesel, I would stick with it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry a mistake,ought to be 1.5 diesel and not 1.8! Thanks to John for his comments,
arm987

·
Registered
24 Posts
John you must have a one off car there as the ford dont do a crdi is a tdci model no wonder you get such good mpg sure you even have a b max???. And the 3 cylinder model does not disappoint me for my use of the car 48mpg on a long run last week on a engine thats covered 500 miles standard tyre pressures boot half full of baby things and 2 adults and 2 kids in the car not even trying to drive eco. Its won so many awards and is so poppular not sure why you have such a hate against it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Love mine. Equipment levels,performance anddriver comfort spot on.
Economy fine if you drive gentle, not brilliant if you put your foot down but a happy trade off as for as I am concerned.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Tdci it is be sure !!!!!!!! When you get 65 m.p.g., comfort and good performance, you tend not to worry what engine you have got.
To be honest, I am seriously thinking of telling my dealer just to change the oil and filters when the first service is due in 3 months, in case they disturb the fuel efficiency of the car !!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
John, are you actually getting 65 mpg by measuring fuel used over distance rather than relying on the trip computer?
Seems almost too good to be true (hope it is true though)

Dave

·
Registered
418 Posts
Dave, most of the time I have checked it by just using the trip computer, but several times I have done a manual check, by filling the tank to absolute maximum on a level surface. If anything the manual check produces a better return than the automated system, but only by about 1 m.p.g. Of course when you do a manual check you have got to make sure you use the same system for filling the tank; as on most cars it is possible to get an extra gallon in after the first cut off.
On one occasion I travelled from France to home using the autoroute and U.K. motorway system; I filled up 10 miles before the shuttle near Calais, and then topped up on the A5 near Shrewsbury. ON both fill ups I trickled the fuel in to make sure it was absolutely full. At Shrewsbury I could only manage 16 litres, and I had covered 251 miles. I calculated the consumption was a fraction under 70 m.p.g. On the same journey a month later I managed to get just under 17 litres in the tank, but some overflowed; the motorway was not so busy and I had driven somewhat faster, but I calculated a return of just over 67 m.p.g.

Quite amazing !!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Brilliant John, you are one of the few people to get figures similar to what Ford quote. On a fast run Dagenham to Cornwall I only got 39 mpg

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hence my reluctance to have the car serviced !!!!!! Only having the oils changed of course would immediately invalidate the warranty, and it would be just my luck if it started falling to pieces after 13 months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't worry John, I think it's your driving (plus plenty of long trips at decent speed) that's treating diesels right. That 1.6 diesel isone seriously good engine, but with the DPF I'd be wary of getting a diesel if urban travel at low speed is pretty much the norm. Unless you can get in regular 'blasts' at motorway/dual carriageway speeds to clean things up, I think fuel economy (and the DPF) will suffer badly. That's when the 3 cylinder petrol probably suits better (a DPF is very expensive to replace, but if it is treated right, it should do 100,000 to 150,000 miles apparently).
I must admit I like the 100hp 3 cylinder Econetic engine very much indeed. Running round with the air con on seems to be around an indicated 40 mpg, and that's with giving it plenty of rev changes and regular heavy right foot acceleration up the gears to assist the running in.

As I'm rural, I'm still planning on the 1.6 diesel next year, but if there was a good deal ona Titanium X125hp 3 cylinder, I wouldn't be put off.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ribbit, I think you have hit the nail right on the head there !!! There are many more issues to consider when you buy a car other than fuel economy; and your comments should be noted by forum members.All the best - John

·
Registered
5 Posts
I looooveeee my 1.0 Ecoboost!! Its meant to feel like a 1.6 apparently - Ive never driven a 1.6, so I couldnt compare to that, but its much nippier than my 1.2 Honda Jazz that I had previously.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't worry sparkliesquirrelle, Johnwales thinks he is a comedian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts