Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 2012 B Max with a petrol ecobost engine and understand that later models have a Petrol Particulate Filter.

Anyone know whether it is possible to install one on an older car and how is it done?

Look forward to your replies.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have to confess - i have never heard of a petrol praticulate filter, diesel yes, petrol no.
Anyone know of the above mentioned item ?
I'd love to be enlightened if so.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much, it seems they may be fitted to new cars.
If the government want them retro-fitted to older cars then they will have to pay to have one fitted to my car coz i sure as hell will not pay for it to be done.
And i wouldn't go out of my way to research how to fit one either. Just carry on driving as you are, if it affects you in any way i'm sure a letter will fall through your letter box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your comments.

My post is from the point of view of finding out whether there is a simple-ish way in the context of cost and milage to be part of the solution without government mandate .

Rather sobering words on the whatcar page
"Petrol-engined cars have been subject to particulate emissions limits since the EU5 standard was introduced in 2009. The permissible limits were reduced ten-fold in September 2018 when EU6c legislation came into force. This brought the NOx limit down to 60mg/km for new petrol cars, below the 80mg/km limit for diesels. This means particulates are virtually eliminated from exhaust emissions, including nanoparticles, which are considered to be more harmful than larger particulates."

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think any later bmax's have petrol particulate filters.
specifically 1litre turbo...
early cars met euro5, and euro6 when it came out. both of these specify nox <0.060
direct injection total partical mass was max 0.005 in 2011, reducing to 0.0045 a couple of years later. euro 5, and euro 5b
the 10 fold limit change was the number of particles allowed, changing from 6x10^12 to 6x10^11 going from euro 6b to euro 6c. sept 2015/2018.
I don't think ford made any change to the spec of the car to meet the newer limits, though production ceased about then too

its the bigger, heavier cars with bigger engines that are more difficult.
European emission standards - Wikipedia

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi,
As I remember, changes like this tend to be tied to the date of the Standardisation tests and Design dates. An exmple is the 'Daylight Running Lights' which quickly appeared on some vehicles, but took ages (and normally a model facelift) beforfe they appeared on others. The MOT requirements are generally based on the declared emissions at the time of the Design being sealed for production; except of course if you are a manufacturer cheating and have fitted a routine to 'fix' your design so it only appears to be meeting the requirements., and are subsequently caught and the requiements relaxed.
With that in mind I would work on the principle that the B-Max pre-dated this requirement and it is not needed. Also cars like mine registered earlier would have run up against it at MOT time if it were a problem.

Geri

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting points. Thank you.

Having an early BMax had not known exactly when they ceased manufacture. Its an easy manufacturer fix to just walk from away the issue by ceasing production. We are left driving the things around.

Can understand the likes of daylight running lights have a bit of a safety element, cannot understand how production of carcinogenic particles at any level is a lower priority... especially as I have found the generation of particles by EcoBoost type of engines was known by Ford as far back as 2009.

We are being lead in the ‘solve all the problems, get a new one” direction? In some cases that has merit.

I am still left with the question in my mind as to whether the reason the purchase of a £25 (some say) Petrol Particulate Filter being fitted to the EcoBoost is unknown/unavailable due:
  • technical reasons, back pressure created in the exhaust?
  • money reasons (they want us to spend ten’s of thousands on a new car).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting points. Thank you.

Having an early BMax had not known exactly when they ceased manufacture. Its an easy manufacturer fix to just walk from away the issue by ceasing production. We are left driving the things around.

Can understand the likes of daylight running lights have a bit of a safety element, cannot understand how production of carcinogenic particles at any level is a lower priority... especially as I have found the generation of particles by EcoBoost type of engines was known by Ford as far back as 2009.

We are being lead in the ‘solve all the problems, get a new one” direction? In some cases that has merit.

I am still left with the question in my mind as to whether the reason the purchase of a £25 (some say) Petrol Particulate Filter being fitted to the EcoBoost is unknown/unavailable due:
  • technical reasons, back pressure created in the exhaust?
  • money reasons (they want us to spend ten’s of thousands on a new car).
🤔 I can’t imagine the B Mac x was dropped from production for this reason, when the same engines continued to be used elsewhere in the range
As far as why the industry hasn’t done the right thing - we’re talking about a huge industry (and in this case Ford) who several decades ago sent an internal memo around, deciding it was cheaper to pay out for dead people, rather than fix a known fault on one of their car designs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
🤔 I can’t imagine the B Mac x was dropped from production for this reason, when the same engines continued to be used elsewhere in the range
As far as why the industry hasn’t done the right thing - we’re talking about a huge industry (and in this case Ford) who several decades ago sent an internal memo around, deciding it was cheaper to pay out for dead people, rather than fix a known fault on one of their car designs.
Hi, your comment about cheaper to pay out for dead people is chilling.

I have continued to ask around to get a straight answer to my points about the petrol particulate filter.

None forth coming yet though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts