Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to ask a stupid question!
The BMAX Titanium has 16 inch wheels but the optional spare wheel is 14 inch. How does that work if you need to actually use the spare?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Smokey001 said:
I am going to ask a stupid question!
The BMAX Titanium has 16 inch wheels but the optional spare wheel is 14 inch. How does that work if you need to actually use the spare?
It is only a stupid question AFTER you are told the answer!

I asked a Traffic Police Officer if it would be illegal to drive with a 14" spare wheel when the other wheels were 16". He said he thought it would be but was not sure. he said he would consult Fords and let me know. He never replied because after got the answer he felt stupid!

The wheel size refers to the size of the rim (alloy). Therefore a wheel can have 14", 15", 16" rims with the same size tyre which keeps the rolling size the same. All that changes is the height of the tyre wall. That is why you see some wheels with a very small tyre wall and others with a large tyre wall. Their rolling wheel size is the same.

If you change the rolling size you must adjust the electronics to take account of the different circumference of the tyre as it rolls along the road. Bigger tyre, less rotations for the same distance, hence speedo is wrong, distance traveled is wrong etc.

If you change the rim diameter and not the tyre diameter, everything stays normal.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I ordered a spare wheel on purchase and to date have not checked it although I do know it is there.

Today I had a service and on the report the mechanic had written 'space saver'. I thought 'spare wheel' meant spare wheel and had assumed that is what I had. I need to look now.

Does a spare wheel mean a space saver? Is that what everyone has?

·
Registered
228 Posts
(Potential double post as crashed when trying to post a few minutes ago)

As far as I am aware, there is no 'Full size' spare available for the B-Max. The only possibilities are the 'Space Saver' (Or Pretend) spare and the horrid toothpaste (aka 'buy a new tyre and possibly wheel every puncture')

Geriatricus
Edited by: Geriatricus

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try breakers yard normal sized wheel from a Fiesta will do the trick remember you will also need a wheel Jack be carefully must get the correct one it has a slot which fits the jacking points. See your instruction manual. With a bit of luck about £50 or less for both. Make sure you see before you buy,almost new will be an ideal deal.
Often a Breaker will get a write off fiesta with a never used spare. Of course a brand new steel wheel for a fiesta can be had or what about a new spare alloy,I tried very hard for a second hand alloy no luck.but above GET A SPARE.
arm987

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got a 15 inch space saver with Pirelli tyre, both unused through breakeryard.com, the supplier being F P S ( Ford Peugeot Supplies ) in Essex. This fits perfectly in the space saver space, no need for docking parts. Ford tyre associates gave me a jack, wheel brace and steel nuts. Total cost including delivery and VAT £48..... Well pleased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I should now have spare wheel sorted by Tuesday - been a bit of a slog but I can now claim to be an expert on tyre/wheel size combinations now.
From Ford, all BMAX have same spare wheel size The wheel is 15in and all the data is on Makems photos above. The tyre is 125/80R15.

Ford make this difficult to find but it is handbook under tyre pressures.

Note

on drivers door, there is a label but on mine (and 2 other showrooms) the label is incorrect

showing 125/60/R15 - there is no such tyre available.

The photos were great because the one showing how jack etc fit into slots saved me from trying all combinations.

You could also get a spare 15in steel wheel with standard tyre.

This is too deep for the spare wheel (Spacesaver) well but (according to mechanic) you can get a foam insert to raise the cover level of boot.

also, if you do a search on spare tyres for BMax

you get directed to fordpartsuk.com - this is not a ford official site.

it offers a 14in wheel with a 175/65R14 tyre

you pay your money and take your choice.

spacesaver tyres are scarce - little turnover

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry if last post seemed to be cut short.
I had to attend to something and when I got back I may have been timed out (or something)

I could not add to post but could submit it.

Tyres are scarce and I have located one for fitting on Tuesday.

Hopefully it will never see light of day again.

I have never needed to use a spacesaver before but the following seems logical to me.

If I get a puncture in back I will fit spacesaver

If I get puncture in front, I will take good wheel off back and replace with spacesaver and

replace deflated front with full size.

again hopefully this will not come to pass.

SMcG in cold Glasgow

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far all the discussion has been focused on 15" / 16" wheels. I've now had my B Max Titanium for 2 months. It came fitted with the X Pack. This provides upgraded wheels of 17" with 205/45 R17 tyres. In the boot there's a bottle of gunk + compressor. I'm not happy with this arrangement as the first time there is a puncture you can say goodbye to the tyre as most reputable tyre repair companies won't put their name to a repair (not being able to see the extent of internal damage due to the gunk) Ford, in their wisdom do not provide a spare wheel option for this size of wheel (whoever thought up this combination should, in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, be taken from their bed early one frosty morning, be stud up outside their their front door for all to see and be shot - slowly until dead) The solution I'm thinking of is to obtain a scrapped 4 stud alloy of Ford pedigree and fit a suitably sized tyre with minimal legal tread depth to act as a spare. However this talk of "Global fixing devices" is worrying me a little. If I take the punctured tyre off and put the spare on (rim not necessarily of B max origin) and secure with existing nuts am I shooting myself in the foot?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated [:x]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Having owned a Mercedes Vaneo for 3 years and two punctures (Vaneo Brotherwood Wheel chair conversion) with as you say "can of gunk" and compressor, on both occasions I did not have to usegunk, only compressor to inflate tyre to get me to a tyre repair company.Therefore as in dad's army speak, "don't panic"

·
Registered
418 Posts
Good thinking there Gracow. I dare say the compressor only solution is far better, even if it involves multiple stops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts