Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Afternoon all,

Hope you're all keeping well in the current circumstances.

Our bmax usually spend it's time in the motorway commuting to my work but has only done a few thousand miles since march due to lockdown.

I opened the bonnet yesterday and found a relatively thick oily grime on the engine and alternator (see pics).

The coolant hasn't dropped or discoloured, there's no white smoke and the oil isn't milky.

My garage cannot see the car until a week on Tuesday, had anyone got any ideas what it may be??

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
what engine is it?
also you say the oil isn't milky, I guess thats where you have looked at the end of the dipstick.
what does the inside of the oil filler cap look like?

the pictures took a while to open, and that looks horrible

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
what engine is it?
also you say the oil isn't milky, I guess thats where you have looked at the end of the dipstick.
what does the inside of the oil filler cap look like?

the pictures took a while to open, and that looks horrible
It's the 1.5tdci... The oil after opening the oil cap is just jet black, non milky...

The car hasn't thrown out any oil pressure warnings or errors either.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My first thought was also the cam cover gasket.
My second thought was the oil seals in the turbo, when they go they don't always result in a loss of power or excess smoke, fingers crossed it isn't that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
A cheap easy fix for you, nice one !

·
Registered
453 Posts
so a rocker cover and gasket, plus a steam clean... I would get them to clean the whole engine bay whilst cleaning the block

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's good that you've updated us.
So many come on the forum looking for advice, but don't ever let us know what the answer was !!
Well done you !

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A cheap easy fix for you, nice one !
Well I don't know about cheap, it was £250 all in. That said they've cleaned up what they could and given the amount on the alternator I'm pretty pleased.

They said they're a chance the alternator may suffer as a result of the leak but I'll just have to see how things go and monitor it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
@ Cottontop
I should have said - A cheap easy fix for you if you do it yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts