Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So I bought a Bmax 1.6 power shift approximately a month and a half ago and so far have had a new clutch pack fitted due to the judder on low gears.

Have had numerous other bodywork issues aswell but that's dealer related.

Latest problem is with the indicating system which the car has gone back to the dealer for a third time today.

I noticed that when I approach a roundabout and signal right, the moment the wheel turns left to begin the manoeuvre the indicator clicks off. Ford mechanic stated that it was the stalk control unit which was replaced but never rectified the problem. It has gone in again fo another part to be changed, but the mechanic says that he does not think it will resolve the issue and has since noticed it on nearly every 2012 onwards ford model that he drives.

He states that if as he thinks this does not resolve the problem then, he will have to submit a service report to fords who will only investigate a potential design flaw if enough people raise the problem with them.

Does this seem fair? I mean it's clearly a fault and I'm sure that the police would not accept a faulty indicator if I was pulled over for not having them on, when in fact it was the car that had switched it of!

I really don't know what to do, this along with the continued bodywork issues the car is suffering with, I am at my wits end.

Anyone else having this issue and if so what was done or changed to stop it from occurring.

Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi Eyeball, welcome to the site, I think your indicator is normal, mine does just the same, you soon learn to put it on again, as the slightest bit of taking the turn off cancels the indicator.

Edited by: jackkook

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having driven many vehicles a lot of them fords, I disagree that this is within normal limits. It is a clear design error as older shaped fords do not have this error. No indicator should self cancel before the indicated turn has completed or it defeats the object of having this feature in place. Seeing as both your vehicles are doing the same thing it is clear that it is a design flaw that needs looking into and that the latest part they are going to put in will not rectify it. This will be going to fords H/O it seems. My sister drives a 2012 fiesta also an auto and it does not have this issue, and they are practically the same vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all
I thought that I would add my two-penneth:

I'm not sure it is a B-Max only 'fault', as I think that every car I have owned have always cancelled an indication when steering wheel turned in the opposite direction..It must be that the indication is cancelled because by turning the wheel the other way effectively tells the car that the turn must have been made?

The opposite being true when turning and steering in the same direction, but is not centred, that the car will continue to signal, as the car thinks that the turn has not been completed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My c180 Merc never done it, nor did the 55 plate focus before it or the numerous peugeot cars I owned before that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

Got to say I noticed this effect and ignored it on both my B-Maxes, as the Vauxhall and Hyundai I had before them were both inclined to do it. It's always worse in one direction.
Perhaps another aspect of Left-hand drive being the basic design??

Geri

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi eyeball33

Sorry that my reply might have appeared to add to your woes - you did ask for advice after all! - but it looks like all my cars have had the fault you report, so Ijust thought it 'normal'.

Really sorry to hear about your bodywork issues though - would you care to expand please? just for general knowledge and potentially someone else on here might have the same experience.

The B-Max appears to be a pretty good car really - despite the faults (I think every car has some kind of issue or issues and I've not known ofa perfect one yet) - and the only bodywork related complaint I remembercoming across on this forum is an orange peel / skin appearance to the paint.

Would be genuinely interestedto hear of the issues.

Welcome to the forum by the way, and I hope you get all theproblems resolved quickly, so that you get lots of happy miles out of your B-Max!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Not a fault.

All cars are designed to cancel when the lock changes from the indicated lock. The question is; at what stage does it cancel? ie. how early in the manoeuvre? All cars have differing settings as I have found in driving different cars almost every day for 30 years.

My question is, "Why indicate at all when you enter a roundabout?

Is it not apparent that you must follow the direction of the lane?

Why not indicate when you intend to leave the lane? You will not have the problem then will you?

I always drive in such a manner that I am speaking to other drivers on the road and indicators are my voice.

If the road is empty, why indicate? If the lane turns left or right, why confirm you are following the lane? By all means signal if you find yourself on the wrong lane.

I am sure everyone has come up to a roundabout and seen a vehicle with its indicator indicating right only to see it change just as it reaches the point where it is turning off. Don't you find this confusing? You think they are going on round and you wait, holding up traffic unnecessarily. Now if that car only indicated when it was turning left? You would wait, of course, until you saw the left signal so the right one was unnecessary?

I know the teaching is to always use the indicators regardless of whether there is anyone to see or whether it will confuse or not. But I consider that wrong.

An indicator does not confer any right to leave a lane or enter a lane and causes many collisions because the teaching instills that attitude in learners who, as soon as they pass the test forget about the need to look and rely on others seeing what they intend to do.

I believe when an indicator is used, it is a question, "I want to move lanes, is it ok"? Until you know it is safe, you cannot change lanes or enter a road.

So, PLEASE don't indicate right when you enter a roundabout, then you will not have a switching problem, I will not get confused, less collisions will occur and I will not be confused at roundabouts.

PS. The less operations you have to perform when driving, the safer.

Your way, 4 operations, my way, 3

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Just seen your replies.

Just had a call from the ford engineer, and he confirms it is a problem in design and should not happen, however is not aware of how to fix it. A service report is being submitted for all their stock cars and he is also meeting with a ford rep next month to discuss it further.

A product recall possibly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts