Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I had an issue today that I've not encountered before in my 1.4 petrol 2013 bmax. I tried to start the car the way I usually do with the brake pedal pressed. The pedal was very hard and the car started for a second then cut out. I tired several times to restart but the brake remained stuck each time. At this point I turned the key for 5 -10 seconds each time.

I tried again a couple of minutes later and allowed the car 30+ seconds. Eventually the brake released and the engine started with an unusual rumble and the car juddered slightly for 30 seconds or so after restarting.

It drove fine after this but has left me lacking confidence in the vehicle. Does anyone know what this could be and has anyone encountered this before? Edited by: thisiswhere

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not had this happen to me but intrigued to know why you start with your foot on the brake. Why not in neutral with the handbrake on?

·
Registered
311 Posts
gadgee said:
Not had this happen to me but intrigued to know why you start with your foot on the brake. Why not in neutral with the handbrake on?
I wondered that, but a lot of cars nowadays do require you to have the brake pedal depressed to allow you to start the engine. I remember this when having a courtesy car a few years ago. Having to ask someone "How do I start this please ?" :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
clutch pedal for manualon the autos its the brake that has to be pressed to start.

brake pedal feel should be hard after the car has been parked, and should soften when the engine is running and the servo is working. - in fact the normal test for the servo is to start the car with foot on the brake, and check the pedal moves further down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts