Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'mDoreen from Alloa, I'm trading in my Hyundai I30and getting myself a Ford B-Max, notsure which one yet but thinking about the 1.0-litre
EcoBoost.Anyway I just wanted to say 'hi' and introduce myself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi! It's a good thought (the one you expressed here)! ;;)
Please notice that there are three one litre three cylinders engines: 100, 120 (125) and 140 hp!
Keep us informed!Edited by: vdragoslav

·
Registered
482 Posts
s23doe said:
Hi, I'mDoreen from Alloa, I'm trading in my Hyundai I30and getting myself a Ford B-Max, notsure which one yet but thinking about the 1.0-litre
EcoBoost.Anyway I just wanted to say 'hi' and introduce myself.
yep the 1L is a good choice, current recommendation is avoid the 'powershift' (auto) gearbox. (which isn't available on the 1L anyway.)

my own advice is to go for the highest spec you can find.

oh, and Welcome! to the forum

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I would echo this statement. I've been driving for over 30 years and the 1.0 123 byp ecoboost is the best engine ive ever had on a car in terms of performance and mpg.

It seems to give you the best of both worlds as you only really need to use the power ocassionally and I have averaged over 45 mpg in my first 10k miles. Very economical around town and quiet and smooth on motorways.

Fords 1.4 petrol and 1.5/1.6 diesel engines are pretty good though, but the 1.6 petrol is a thirsty beast.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
70 Posts
Greetings from the Continent Doreen,

The B-Max Titanium Navigation 1.0 Ecoboost is my new Ford since two weeks.
My later father drove a Focus Titanium 1.6 ltr petrol which did not impress me at all.
We traded in our Ford KAII cars which served us without any problem whatsoever.
I think Ford have catched in on Volkswagen when it comes to comfort and luxury.
My wife and i had to think hard about a new car and we finally decided to buy the B-Max because it is not a standard design car,it has a special twist.
Apart from that i have no interest in what other people think when they see me in my car,they may think whatever they like,it is my car,not theirs.

Many happy miles/kilometres!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Paul, I must say 'you sound very positive about it' I'm getting very excited and looking forward to buying a B Max eco .. I'm also really enjoying looking at all the pros and cons etc and deciding which is best for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doreen,

Sofar we are very happy with our B-Max in Deep Impact Blue.
It drives very comfortably,it feels like a much bigger car.
The 1.0 Ecoboost engine has enough power for our needs.

Dutch press in general is of the opinion that 100 HP is sufficient in todays traffic,at least in Holland.
Price setting in the U.K.may be more favourable towards opting for the 125 HP engine,that is up to you.

The Titanium version has some interesting gimmicks which we still need to master fully.
Compared to a Volkswagen Golf,one of the best cars on the road,the B-Max dashboard looks like an airplane cockpit,something we have to get used to.
For example,i still have not figured out how the windscreen washer works,despite of the symbols on the knob,for a Volkswagen this is just unthinkable,everybody can drive a Golf almost blindly.
A matter of gimmicks taking over logic in my humble opinion.
Nevertheless,i think we will love the B-Max over the years to come.

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Press the end of the wiper lever for screen wash.

Pull the lever towards you twice for rear wash.

It's always fun getting used to the buttons and knobs in a new car.

In the titanium it took a couple of months until i got used to every switch and knob.

No need for 123 bhp in Holland as there are no hills :)Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dear Cianpars,

Thank you for your help,will try it out today.

Correct,hardly any hills in Holland but gusty winds can really slow you down at times.
Traffic rules are stringent,speeding can be a costly affair,as such why not be modest rather than trying to overtake each and everyone?
The last car with 100 HP i had was a SAAB 99GL back in 1983!
I am happy!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Interestingly, on another thread, I think it was Makem who explained that you do not see the effect of the extra 23 bhp until fairly high in the rev range. I do therefore wonder if I am getting as much benefit as I think I am from it.

I've never driven the 100 bhp to be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a funny paradox in that we have seen a down scaling of engine volume,going from 4 cylinders to 3 cylinders,calling the engine Ecoboost with Eco for Economy,and thence an increase in horsepower output to 125 HP.Something tells me this is counterproductive.
My wife and i both had a KA 2 with 69 HP before we bought the B-Max and with these cars we could go everywhere,including the motorways.
So,the 100 HP we have now is more than adequate for our needs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You may have a point, but my laat 2 cars were a 1.4 and a 1.25 Fiesta. Borh were nice cars but felt under powered at times. My B Max has bags of power and fuel economy a bit better than the Fiestas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Perhaps more important than horsepower is torque.Sufficient torque enables you to safely pass slower traffic on single lane roads and enables you to escape from hairy situations if needed.
I once drove a VW Golf V TDI (Turbo Diesel Injection) for my employer,it had only 110 HP but torque was most impressive,it drove like the firebrigade as we say in Holland.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome aboard Doreen

I am more than happy with my 1.0ltr 100hp Ecoboost. They say it has the same performance as a 1.4 normally aspirated engine. I beg to differ on that one, as it out performs my old 2002 1.6 Focus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts