Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about getting a b-max. Heard about reliability issues with ecoboost engine plus being turbo charged dont know how long the engine will last. That is why I am keen on the 1.4 engine. Anyone has one? What are their opinion?

I will be looking to buy 2nd hand car.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The ecoboost is great and the early reliability issues were easily fixed. I have the 123 bhp version which is giving me the economy of a 1.0 litre around town and when being driven gently but the piwer of a 1.6 litre when i really want to or need to use it.

This engine is much better and more economical than the 1.4 and 1.6 normally aspirated engines and has been tested to run for 150,000 miles.

Whatever you go for, dont touch the auto gearboxes though. Lots of problems with those.

Also, the 1.6 is quite a fuel guzzler.

I am getting 44.5 mpg from my 1.0 and it is gradually going up.

Ford put the ecoboost in a racing car and there is a video of that on youtube.

Whilst i went for the titanium x, best value for money is the zetec, but i wanted one with all the toys and paid a lot for all those extras.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. It is a shame cruise control is not available on the zetec as standard. Yes thanks to research the powershift on b-max is a no no. Although had a galaxy powershift diesel which was troublefree for three years until someone drove into the back and wrote it off.

Edited by: wazza

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi and welcome,

I am on my 2nd 1.4 now and quite happy with it as I was with its predecessor. With only has 90BHP for the size of vehicle, it is unlikely to suit if you are into trying to pass Ferraris; but if all you want to do is trundle along at 70 on the motorway, then it is comfortable to sit and be in, and adequate for the job. The consumption I get averages high 30's on mixed driving and up to 43-44 on steady long runs. A lot of town driving will hit the consumption, but that is true of any motor.

Good luck and as everybody says, stay away from the auto until a completely new gearbox is developed.

Geri

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have cruise control, but hardly ever get to use it because our motorway traffic is so heavy.

I had 1.4 and 125 fiestas and preferred the 1.25 which was such a zippy and flexible engine by comparison.

The 1.0 turbo engine in the b max is a fantastic engine compared to the two fiestas, though i really liked both of them.

Another point is that the 1.0 is a quieter engine too and is also smoother with good fuel economy and power when needed.

Im not knocking normally aspirated engines, i just think that the 1.0 is a better bet, having driven them all.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi wazza, i agree entirely with cianpars as i previously also owned a 1.4 Fiesta and a 1.25. I pesently own a 64 reg. 1.o ltr B Max Zetec which i purchased new and although i have had a few problems, the engine has proved to be superb. Hope you make the right choice and end up happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Ecoboost Wazza. I have the 1.00 100hp model Zetec and it's more responsive than my old Focus 1.6 Mk2. 2002 model

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MagicalGirl said:
Welcome to the forum. Have you bought one yet?
No have not bought one yet. Am now in a position where I don't need to change my car at this time. Will do after a few months. By then I will now my position. If still in employment then need a car with cruise control. Like the new shape nissan note but know it is cheaply built. Comes with cruise control. In looking for work or feel like retiring then b-max. Will go for 1.4 for reliabilty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No problem, welcome back if you decide to go down the B-Max route. Have a read on the Note forum though, not many fans of the new Note (and it's been discontinued).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think she means the Nissan Note, though swearing is banned on this forum.

Before buying the b max, i considered the meriva, jazz and note before deciding. They are all worthy of consideration.

The 1.0 turbo was what really sold me on the Ford.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
7 Posts
cianpars said:
The ecoboost is great and the early reliability issues were easily fixed.

Hello,

On the back of this post - would you say that ecoboost from 2013 is one of early ones with issues? I am looking for a second hand b-max and found someone selling a b-max from 2013 - have not bought yet though. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Just check that it has had the pipe modification.Edited by: cianpars

1 - 14 of 14 Posts