Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've just registered on the forum and found lots of informative posts. It's great to hear so many positive comments about the B-max as we are keen to buy one. I wonder if anyone could comment on a decision we are trying to make? We've had a test drive in a 2014 B-max 1.0 litre ecoboost (100ps) which has done 16k miles and have another booked for this Saturday in a 2013 1.6 Tdci diesel (95ps) which has done 19k miles. We do 15k miles per year, mainly commuting on dual carriageway and one of two trips from one end of the country to the other!

Our salesman has quoted us a figure of around 48mpg for the petrol engine - from his own driving experience - but the reviews I've read seem to suggest much lower figures e.g. 39mpg. When I used an online calculator it suggested that the petrol engine would costs us around £500 a year more in fuel costs. Any views on this?

Obviously we have some concerns going for the diesel (even though our current car is a diesel) due to the emissions. From a purely financial viewpoint the diesel looks like a better deal as prices seem to be being reduced (the one we are looking at is £1400 cheaper than the petrol and only 6 months older - both Titanium spec) and the fuel economy could save us £500 a year.

But, is this a false economy - i.e is the fuel saving really that much? Does the fact that the diesel has a DPF mean higher repair bills in the future? Does the Diesel engine mean that no-one will want to buy this car if we decide to sell in 2 years time?

I know no-one has a crystal ball but I would love to hear any opinions on this...

From a soon to be B-max owner

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi and welcome,

Don't believe a word about consumption from any source associated with making or selling any make of car.

I would suggest you look at the 'Honest John' site where they have information about consumption from real owners. I have my second 1.4 petrol (most unexciting) and my average is in the high thirties with mixed driving.

On the subject of costs, I suspect that officialdom will take the opportunity of current bad publicity to tax diesel punitively in the future in order to increase the tax take; but that may just be my innate cynicism.

Geri

·
Registered
315 Posts
<div ="msg">
I am on my second diesel B-Max, the present one has done
12000 miles, and shows average of 65+ MPG, I have never reset it, I have
tested it full to full and it is near enough to this figure.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Down to personal preference really. I have the ecoboost petrol, very happy with it overall. With your 15000 annual mileage though, a diesel might be a better choice.
As Geri says though, with diesel becoming a dirty word (again!) maybe petrol is the better bet ??

Not much help really I know !

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Im getting 45 mpg from my ecoboost and the engine is great, bot if i was doing 15,000 pa, i would be tempted by the diesel which will give a much better mpg.

The main thing that makes it a tough choice is whether governments will come down heavily and introduce polution taxes and congestion charges.

Both engines are very good btw. One word of caution though, avoid tbe auto gearbox as it is troublesome.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Currently getting 51.3 mpg from my 1.0 ecoboost 100. It seems to have really improved over 10k miles. I'll never buy a diesel so very happy with small capacity petrols on the market. Ofc better mpg with a diesel but at what cost? I was thinking about a hybrid but no rush yet!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Those of us who have driven Diesel's all our lives knew that they give out far more bad exhaust emissions than Petrol's, but for some reason the government did not know, or were badly advised.

·
Registered
459 Posts
jackkook said:
Those of us who have driven Diesel's all our lives knew that they give out far more bad exhaust emissions than Petrol's, but for some reason the government did not know, or were badly advised.
sadly, though modern petrol engines are goodish for economy, and low co2 emissions, the petrol direct injection engines give quite high 'particulate' emissions, and don't yet use particulate filters.
so for the original posters intended mileage per year, go for the diesel.

Edited by: Gremlin

·
Registered
69 Posts
Gremlin is that true? Never heard that before. But I guess if you run any Internal combustion engine in an enclosed space you'll be in trouble pretty quickly :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your thoughts and comments - very informative. I hadn't realised that direct-injection petrol engines also emit particulates and have now also read that there are non-emission related particulates from heavier eco-cars from brakes, tyres etc! It's obviously a far wider issue than I had appreciated!

Looking forward to our test drive on Saturday and hopefully a B-Max on the driveway shortly afterwards

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Decided yet whether it's going to be the petrol or diesel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The bottom line on what is best for you is dependent on the type of driving you do.

If most of your journeys are less than a few miles and your overall mileage is low then petrol is better. Diesels have a particulate filter which require the engine to be hot to work well. In fact some cars can fail to to regenerate the filters and that can cause high repair costs. That said the BMax doesn't seem to suffer from this problem

If you do over 15000 miles a year and your journeys are long trips then diesel is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yeah and then you will be able to trade it in using the governments proposed scrappGe scheme. Im beginning to think that the environmetists and government have it in for diesels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They do, lots of negative press about them. They don't make it clear that actually newer models are not bad compared to older diesels. Instead they just brand them all dirty.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You only had to look at the black smoke they belch out to know that diesels were puting the atmosphere, heaven knows how the experts ever concluded that they were cleaner tand petrol is beyond me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
They look at the wrong thing though, the whole tax system was based on the wrong measurement, MPG is based on the wrong cycle etc. It's just a massive nightmare. I am quite sure in a few years time they will find issue with electric cars and everyone driving those will feel the same as diesel drivers do now!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Of course, it takes as much fossil fuel burning to provide the electricity to charge the things and produce the batteries.

What happened to the system which produced hydrogen to run the engine from water? That seemed to me to be a better way to go as we have a virtually limitless supply of water falli g from the sky nearly every day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome D C H to the group. I think I have posted something similar to the before, but I shall do it again, probably to the frustration of a few(Apologies).I worked out the average mileage I would be doing. I then worked out on the official mpg figures, the fuel I would use doing that mileage, the reasoning behind this was that they would give a fair representation of difference(if that makes sense). The cost at the time of each fuel to be used.
I finally looked at the price difference of the cars.
When I did this comparison (it wasn't on my BMax) the price difference between petrol and diesel was £2k, the mileage cost difference in fuel was £400 per year on the mileage I was going to be covering. So the reality for me at the time was that I would have had to have the car for in excess of 5 years to start seeing any benefit of owning the diesel variant of the car. I know the resale value plays a part to some people and if you need to cost that into the equation, then that is for you to do. I however don't look at the resale value of anything I am buying, unless from a profit making perspective. Hope you can understand my ramblings.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Everything emits particulates including you. Most house dust is the particulates released when human skin flakes off. When you see the rays of the sun glinting that is reflection from particulates.

Don't get paranoid about this the issue is the level and size of particulates emitted by petrol and diesel vehicles is NOT getting worse. In the UK particulate pollution from ALL transport sources is less 15% of the total. The largest single source is wood burning stoves which paradoxically are marketed as Green.

Here is what the British medical Journal said about on 22nd May 2015

"The disproportionate amount of PM2.5 pollution from domestic wood burning continues to escape attention. Few people who install wood stoves are likely to understand that a single log-burning stove permitted in smokeless zones emits more PM2.5 per year than 1,000 petrol cars and has estimated health costs in urban areas of thousands of pounds per year."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts