Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slightly disappointed that after just over 3 years and 24000 miles my Bmax needs new front pads and discs. I noticed vibration through the steering wheel when braking from 50mph plus. It has not been driven hard. I like to think I am good at using anticipation before braking having studied for my ADI qualification. £175 inc VAT fitted by local Ford. Anybody else have similar problems?

·
Registered
311 Posts
That doesn't surprise me. Our car has 7,500 on the clock and is due for a service and MOT next month. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring up the question of pad wear.
If I wash the car, I only have to do a few miles before the front wheels are black with brake dust. I don't know what they make the pads out of ? It's never been as bad
on any other car I've owned. I'm not a boy racer either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree about there being loads of brake dust on the alloys. However my main concern was with the discs warping and needing replacement.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I replaced discs/pads after 30k miles as the discs had worn and a lip was quite noticeable on the outside of the disc.
If you're old enough to remember asbestos in brake parts, I can't ever remember having to replace discs then.
Still, I'd rather have worn discs than asbestos dust.
To help with preventing disc warp, when you brake to a standstill, apply the handbrake and release the footbrake. This will prevent heat transfer to a restrictive area of the disc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my pet hates with the coming of hi-level brake lights is to be stopped in a queue behind a car the driver of which keeps his foot on the foot brake and does not apply the handbrake, especially during darkness. I was taught " when a pause becomes a wait, apply your hand brake"

·
Registered
264 Posts
One of my pet hates with the coming of hi-level brake lights is to be stopped in a queue behind a car the driver of which keeps his foot on the foot brake and does not apply the handbrake, especially during darkness. I was taught " when a pause becomes a wait, apply your hand brake"
I agree with you 100% gadgee but we are in a diminishing minority, it seems.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

As Pegleg stated; back in the old days, using Asbestos brake pads rarely required the replacement of the discs. Unfortunately for them,when the danger of some varieties of Asbestos became evident, this meant that the mechanics doing the brake work were classified as 'At risk'. The change to alternative materials regarded as less problematic, has led to pads which wear the discs as fast as they wear themselves; due to the change in relative abrasion resistance of the two components.
Far be it from me to suggest that manufacturers are happy with this situation of moral high ground and much more expensive regular replacements, but we as motorists have just had to learn to live with it. While drivers can try to alleviate the situation using driving techniques basically we are in a losing situation, but the mechanics involved are believed to be in less danger of serious illness so it is probably for the best overall.

Geri

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yep, modern padsdo cause more disc wear, but I too can't believe how much brake dust is coming off those pads. In over 40 years of driving, I've never had to clean the front wheels so frequently and they are black again after just a short drive.

Reactions: jackkook

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pads and discs changed now with problem cured. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep, modern padsdo cause more disc wear, but I too can't believe how much brake dust is coming off those pads. In over 40 years of driving, I've never had to clean the front wheels so frequently and they are black again after just a short drive.
Likewise. I don't get this on my other car. Or any car I've ever owned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts