Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took delivery of the new B-Max with 1.0 Ecoboost (100 PS).
So far, I am happy with the handling of the car, except for the engine - frankly, i expected more from the 3-times "Engine of the year" winner.
I did my test drive (twice!) and it is all well when I am alone in the car, on the flat surface, with light acceleration.
But when I put 5 people in the car, and try to accelerate a bit harder or climb a hill, all i got is some nasty vibration and not much of the moving forward. My previous car was a humble Berlingo with detuned HDI engine (55 kw and the same 170 Nm at 1750 RPM as my new ecoboost supposedly have). Comparing the two, I can tell that Ecoboost torque is nowhere near the claimed figure.
I scheduled a service appointment to check it out, but I don't have much hope.
Could it be the poor fuel quality? I bought it from a reputable source, but didn't opt for a "Premium" fuel as my other car (Suzuki Swift) doesn't seem to care...
Is the more powerful version behaving better? It seems to heve the same torque figure on the low RPM, except for the temporary overboost....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hello Nick and sorry to hear you're not happy with the performance of your new car.

I have the 125ps engine and am fully satisfied with it's pulling power. Yes, there is a difference when the car is full compared to when I am alone, but this I think is "normal" and to be expected !
Maybe the 125 engine would have suited you better.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nick said:
Last week I took delivery of the new B-Max with 1.0 Ecoboost (100 PS).
So far, I am happy with the handling of the car, except for the engine - frankly, i expected more from the 3-times "Engine of the year" winner.
I did my test drive (twice!) and it is all well when I am alone in the car, on the flat surface, with light acceleration.
But when I put 5 people in the car, and try to accelerate a bit harder or climb a hill, all i got is some nasty vibration and not much of the moving forward. My previous car was a humble Berlingo with detuned HDI engine (55 kw and the same 170 Nm at 1750 RPM as my new ecoboost supposedly have). Comparing the two, I can tell that Ecoboost torque is nowhere near the claimed figure.
I scheduled a service appointment to check it out, but I don't have much hope.
Could it be the poor fuel quality? I bought it from a reputable source, but didn't opt for a "Premium" fuel as my other car (Suzuki Swift) doesn't seem to care...
Is the more powerful version behaving better? It seems to heve the same torque figure on the low RPM, except for the temporary overboost....

You definitely should have tried the 125 to be able to compare.

Don't forget you drove a car with two people and probably only a few litres of fuel. Then you take the same car with a full tank weight and add 3 more people!

If you expected to be driving with 5 adults in a car mainly designed in my opinion for tow adults and children, then you just HAD to test the larger engine. I have the larger and I notice when i have 5 people in it. It copes well but it I put the two bikes in or some luggage?

I don't think paying the extra for the fuel will be worth the difference in power. better to try anticipation and get the gear right for the need.

I am always amazed that an engine the size of a bottle of pop gives so much but I have had the higher performance engine both times.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
136 Posts
I tried the 1.0 ecoboost but when I got myself, my brother and the salesman in it was pretty sluggish on hills and I noticed some rather nasty vibrations through the pedals which is why I ended up going for the diesel. One thing I would suggest is that with these 3 cylinder ecoboostengines you need to keep the revs higher than with conventional petrol engines to get theturbo working well.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes, you are probably right about the revs, However, that suits my driving style, jumping from 2nd to 4th and 3rd to 5th around town. I get 'get a move on' rather than carefully going from gear to gear without increasing the revs to much in each and driving 'sluggishly' which can be annoying for drivers behind.

I don't look at the rev counter much but I think the revs are generally under 2000, rising to 3000 for short periods in town driving. My previous 125PS B-MAX returned some 47.6 mpg with that style of driving and it kept me awake lol.

I do tend to get bored driving 'slowly' and am usually at the front at traffic lights where possible which surprises some people who see the 'old man in his car'.

I am wondering why you went for the diesel rather than the extra 25 PS? Was it the cost?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I put the premium 100 octane fuel, and i can feel that (substracting placebo effect :)) it is a bit
quicker and much smoother, and actually a pleasant car to drive. Comments from other users on the net seem to confirm that ecoboost engine is very sensitive to the fuel quality. What remains to be seen is the mileage - on the first tank it was 8.3 l/100 km.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem. I had mine remapped to 145 hp and added a high flow air filter. Couldn't be happier with it now. It's a different car. (For all the anti tuners out there) I still drive the car normally, not like a hoon. It just makes the drive easier and more of a pleasure.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts