Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 64 plate 1.6 Auto (yes it has a slight judder) met black, very pleased so far. Used to have a Fusion a few years ago which on reflection was slightly more functional despite the rear doors, on the B-Max a bit of a curates egg. Already had a problem with the holdback insufficient on a hill, surprised that it's not a handle release.

A tow bar is on order from PF Jones with dedicated electrics, is the Ford loom not configured to take a tow kit? The Freelander was a single plug and two fuses including the 30A feed.

I do miss the Sat Nav although the LR had some issues. I presume the integrated Sony Audio is not viable for replacement as some of the car functions are controlled/selected through it. A double DIN with Sat Nav would be ideal as I don't like cables everywhere.

Windows 10 phone connects through Bluetooth but press play on the car and it stops playing on the phone and vice versa (oh look, Sync is from Microsoft, I think that worries me most)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hill assist requires a bit of practice - I learned that I need to press the brake firmer than usual if I want to use hill assist. It will hold the brake until you start moving, but only as much as you pressed it before.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It holds the brake for 2 seconds no matter how hard you have pressed the brake inmo.

Just take your foot off and drive away, but first as normal, apply some clutch/engine to raise the front end a little in preparation and you will never roll back or stall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, crossed purposes here. What I was referring to was thedetent that hold the back door open. Last night I was tail up on a steep hill and the door jumped the detent and closed. On some sliding doors it is held on a latch operated by the door lock so has to be deliberately released.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is 3 seconds actually, but i wasn't referred to how long brake was pressed, but how hard it was pressed - it will keep the same pressure for 3 seconds, but not harder then that. If the initial pressure was too weak, it wouldn't stop the car from rolling backward. But of course, OP was talking about totally different issue

·
Registered
242 Posts
Stop using the anti rollback fuction. Learn clutch control and better use of your cars handbrake.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nick said:
It is 3 seconds actually, but i wasn't referred to how long brake was pressed, but how hard it was pressed - it will keep the same pressure for 3 seconds, but not harder then that. If the initial pressure was too weak, it wouldn't stop the car from rolling backward. But of course, OP was talking about totally different issue
Where did you get the info on brake pressure? I would be interested to know the system remembers how hard you press the brake pedal. Seems to me it would defeat the object of hill assist if you have to remember press very hard to be sure it will hold. I never press hard, except in an emergency. I always thought it worked by sensing the clockwise rotation start and then stopped it for 2, maybe 3 seconds or, until the rotation went anticlockwise if less.

Does the B-MAX know it is on a hill? If so thats another facility I didn't know it had! Amazing what they put in cars nowadays though. Must do, otherwise it would have to hold the brake on after every stop, unless it checked for rotation. But that don't work either cos then it would brake if you tried to reverse!

I have come to the conclusion the B-MAX is cleverer than me lol. (no comments please!)

Anyways, you don't really think about it do you, just take your foot off the brake and drive. If it helps, great, if not then as has been mentioned, the clutch works.

What the OP is talking about could be quite dangerous for children. It has caught me out a couple of times on a very slight incline but I think because I didn't open it past the stop.

·
Registered
54 Posts
System "remembers" the brake pressure in a very simple way - at the right circumstances (sufficient hill inclination, car stopped, brake and clutch engaged...) it will close hydraulic valves within the ABS unit and hold the brake pressure until it recognize drivers intention to start moving forward (or max 3 seconds). I am not sure how system recognize drivers attempt to start moving, but there are many sensors for engine management and also clutch, brake and gas pedals, so it should not be a problem. Also if I put the gear into reverse, it will release the brake imidiately.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hairy fool, my apologies, I didn't reailse you were an auto driver. Never the less, use your handbrake and accelerator instead of the hill start function.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts