Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This week I bought a 2 year old bmax which has been amazing. There is a part of the car though that I can't find out what it is. There is what looks like a tiny compartment between the lights dial and the hood release lever. Inside is a white electrical connection of some sort. Can anyone tell me what it is? I've looked through the entire manual and no mention of it. We discovered if only because the handle of the compartment fell off which we also can't get back on.

Any thoughts or knowledge of what it is?

Thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Tukem

I have a similar aged B-Max and they are very good cars, despite the issue threads on this forum.

I hope you get many happy and reliable miles out of yours.

Anyway, the strange compartment houses the OBD port for diagnostic equipment to connect to the ECU / Computer.

I have a data-tracker device as part of my car insurance plugged into it at the moment. Annoyingly I've had to remove said flap to fit.

All the best.

Wayne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I thought it could be something like that but manual said nothing. Luckily the flap is still there but just handle won't go on and seems there is nothing for it to even click onto.

Definitely the first car we are genuinely excited to own and drive :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I always thought the compartment was meant for keeping change for toll booths and such like. It is not much use for anything else.

I do keep a piece of paper with my tyre pressures on there for normal and full loads as my memory is not what it was. I also keep my OBD2 in there ready to connect now and again to look at the engine management data mainly out of curiosity. It is a pity, even with the smallest OBD2, you cannot shut the compartment cover as it fouls. If you could you could having engine output in real-time forever! Maybe still worthwhile keeping it in if faults were occurring.

Just as a matter of interest, is everyone aware that an OBD2 is very cheap and the google app Torque is free. The pro version is a small amount. You will need an android OS on your phone. Not sure if iPhone have such an app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_GB

http://www.amazon.com/Version-Bluetooth-Multi-Language-12Kinds-Android/dp/B00N2K6M2A

You need to buy the correct OBD2 and I think it is ELM327 V2.1 but I can confirm if necessary.

Another thought. Somebody in this forum had an engine cut-out and lost the codes after turning off the ignition. If you had an OBD2 it could be plugged in whilst the engine was running and the codes downloaded?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts