Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone on the forum. I just wanted to share with you some details about my B max that ive just bought.
This is only the second ford i've had in over 40 years!! My first was a 1972 Ford capri 1600GT in bronze with a tan vinyl roof. Ah happy dayz.

Anyway i've just bought a 2014 B max from a ford main dealer in Perth with 35k on the clock at what I considered to be a really good deal. It's dynamic blue with what I think is the city pack,folding mirrors and rear parking sensors. I really really like this car. With 2 grandchildren at ages 3&2 it makes things a lot easier for us with the sliding doors. I have to say that before I bought this i had serious misgivings about a car that had rear sliding doors. Now I have the car I find it just so practical. I find it really nice to drive, comfortable, quiet, and practical. It has the 998 cc ecoboost engine which coming from a 1600cc Peugeot turbodiesel I find utterly delighful.

However, it's not all a a bed of roses there are a couple of things that aren't quite right. Firstly the brakes. Never ever on any car I have ever driven ( and btw I have driven many many cars in my time) have I encountered such fierce brakes. Either on or off. Does any one else have this issue?? Secondly my fuel consumption is 42 mpg according to the car and I did expect a bit better than that. And I've broken 2 14mm spark plug sockets attempting to remove the plugs. I think a gorilla has put these in.

Notwithstanding these issues I am pleased with the car. Love the colour and the kids just love being in the car.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hello David and welcome.

I too have young grandchildren. One of the reasons I got the car. The sliding doors come in really useful at times.

My brakes have always been fine .. maybe you just need to get used to them.

re your fuel consumption, I get around 40 to 42mpg urban, and 47 - 49mpg on a long run.

Best of luck with your new car !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi David,
Cumbernauld here. Brakes on my 14 PLATE are fine. Only thought I have is dealer has put new pads/shoes in for mot and they will calm down as they bed in.
Fuel consumption I can't say as I have not had this car long but having had a clio and doing the same journeys I find I put the same amount of fuel at the same time.
That was averagingvlowv40 mpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi David

I agree; the brakes are very sharp; more so in wet conditions. Have had sideways glances from Miss Willow on several occasions.

Can't comment on the fuel consumption as I don't know what varient you have.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, the brakes are very sharp. I think it's all down to the size of caliper/pads which are a similar size to my 2 ton 4x4!14 mm, bi-hex I think it's called, is the right size. My plugs were a bit tight, I don't like to use brute force, so I used a bit of Plus Gas for a couple of weeks and eventually the plugs came out without too much force.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I found the brakes sharp at first but just pur it down to driving a different car with new brakes. I soon got used to it and have no trouble with them now.

Ive done nearly 11k miles with my 998 123 bhp and averaged 45 mpg. Its actually very economical around town and great at 60 on the motorway, but go much over 70 and you see the mpg meter down in the 30s.

I do very little urban driving which may explain why my mpg is pretty good.

An extra 2 or 3 psi of pressure in the tyres helps with the mpg a bit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
David7892003 said:
hello everyone on the forum. I just wanted to share with you some details about my B max that ive just bought.
This is only the second ford i've had in over 40 years!! My first was a 1972 Ford capri 1600GT in bronze with a tan vinyl roof. Ah happy dayz.

Never ever on any car I have ever driven ( and btw I have driven many many cars in my time) have I encountered such fierce brakes. Either on or off. Does any one else have this issue??
Similar to me, my only other Ford was a Mk.3 Cortina with a Black Vinyl roof.

Yes, as the others have said, the brakes are a bit on the sharp side, I also get moaned at by my wife too.
I wonder why you need to change your spark plugs ? They last a lot longer nowadays, and even dealerships don't change them at every service. As long as the engine is running smoothly, I wouldn't think new plugs would affect your mpg to any significant extent..
With our 1600 auto, I only get around 32mpg around town, maybe just over 50mpg on a longer run.
42mpg around town isn't bad, but I would expect more on major road driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Forgot to say that the engine is the 998cc 100hp ecoboost 3 cylinder.
so an update, finally managed to remove the plugs. They were very very tight and they certainly looked like they had done 37,000 miles, so new set of ford plugs in. car was still a bit stuttery and not driving good. Finally found the answer when i tightened up all the induction hose clips. All of them were slack so the car was sucking air in after the airflow meter. Since then it's been running very nicely. BTW this car has a ford main dealer service record with a service as recent as June 17 only 55 miles since I bought it

However these damn brakes are really ferocious. they are either on or off and they caused real problems in the snow (central scotland) and ice. Will have to do a bit more research on these.

Thanks for all the views and the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts