Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one checked the MPG against the official figures.
I'm not sure yet whether to go for the Petrol 1.0 ECOBoost or the 1.6 diesel.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have 1.0L 120PS and have used it mainly round town so far. End of the month I will do 400 miles on motorway, UK and EU.

So far I get 35 point something to 36 point something mpg depending on heating, lighting, traffic etc. Turn the heated seats on and watch the consumption increase!

I was told you cannot judge the fuel consumption until you have done 1k to 2k miles because it creeps up gradually.

It also depends on driving style, acceleration and braking. The quoted figures are 47.1 & 67.3 with combined 57.7 so a long way to go, Only done about 500 miles so far, as I said mainly in towns and in traffic jams.

The 120PS is quite nippy even coming from a fast sports car. I would be concerned about 95PS being underpowered but again it depends on driving style. I took a 1.0 100PS petrol Zetec out with 3 up and it seemed underpowered to me. The extra 20PS makes a big difference, especially with 4 up and a load.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Who told you that it wouldimprove- the dealer?

I now have 1700+ miles on mine in 7 weeks and in a mix of town and motorway i can no better than 30 - 48 mpg.

Way off the quoted figures. Not that i expected to get them But i did expect better than this.

PS- I am not to heavy footed!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I did such a lot of research before I bought this car that I forget whether I read it or was told. I think it is highly likely that I read it. I don't think it was the dealer because if he had I would have researched it anyway as you take what they say with a pinch (a big one) of salt.

I will try to find it again.

I am away soon and it will be the first long distance drive so I expect to see the average
mpg rise. However, I fail to see how it can increase to anywhere near
the quoted figures because the car is now run in and cannot increase
it's efficiency.

30mpg is very low! What were you doing to get that? Towing? Or, as that at the start? When I received mine it was at 33 and I reset it so what I see is my result. What average are you getting now? (av. of the av. you see). 39?

The Eco thingy little flowers are all fully green, are yours?

We should get a chart started among the members of engine sizes again mileage and mpg.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...icial-figures-heavily-overstate-cars-mpg.html

Going by the worst case mentioned in the web page above of 20mpg less than quoted, I should get 27 to 47mpg. I think it will end up with an average of 35 which is no better than my 2 litre Celica140bhp T sport, very very disappointing.

Maybe Ford base their tests in countries other than the UK where the majority of roads are long and straight without roundabouts and silent policemen!

Our B-MAX is not on their list yet (List near the bottom of the page) but the figures I see worry me in that I cannot see my car getting near the Focus figures.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
How do they get the figures:

'New European Driving Cycle'.

This involves two tests run in sequence.

The
first 195-second cycle consists of a series of accelerations in the
three lower gears linked to periods of idling repeated four times.

The 'extra-urban' element comprises a series of very gentle accelerations and short periods of cruising.<div style="overflow: ; color: rgb0, 0, 0; : rgb255, 255, 255; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">
All done in 'laboratory' conditions - a rolling road?

So no hills, no traffic queues, in fact not realistic unless you just want to compare car to car and realise you will never achieve what they say. I suppose this method has some little value. However, how do you know by how much the car you choose is out?

They say that the worst offenders are those whose published results are the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Really unhappy. 1.0L and I struggle to get 30 around town and 35 on the motorway. There must be a problem here. We bought the car for the fuel economy, and now I feel compelled to return it due to misrepresentation in the figures..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'maveragingthe same at the moment too, mine tells me about 30mpg but i am only on about 180 miles since i got it last week, like everyone else i too thought it would be very good on the fuel from what has been put into text by ford but it's the same as my 1.4 meriva i had previously. I am hoping that it will increase or i too wont be too happy!! I'll update once i've done a few more miles and run the engine in!( ps i mostly do around town driving too. )

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My 1L 120PS is stuck on 35.7 with the majority being town driving.

Has anybody looked at there Eco test, acceleration, anticipation etc? How many leaves are green?

Mine are all green.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I agree. They are really a waste of time.

I was loaned a new (25 miles on the clock) Fiesta and after a week all the leaves were green.

Now I expect mine to stay green for the rest of the vehicles life, so what use are they?

·
Registered
54 Posts
30 mpg is the best around town. It has been cold quite a few mornings so the heaters have been on (front n back) plus the seats. Even so my Accord 2.2 d auto does more mpg!

Did a 180 mile run last week on the motorway at bang on 70 only get 49mpg!

Verydisappointed!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am now getting 36.6 mpg after a 60 mile round trip on mainly on dual carriageway. That figure has held for two days driving in town since then and prior to that trip it was 35.7.

Speaking to a car enthusiast yesterday about the mpg question, without prompting he pointed out that my mpg WILL improve. Asked why it should after 750 miles he said that the modern engines do not need running in as engines did in the old days. However, they do 'run-in' over 1500/2000 or more miles. This is due to the fact that the whole engine, everything, including the transmission, not just the combustion related parts, needs to bed in so there will be a gradual improvement.

That makes a sort of sense and make me feel a little better about published figures which I now realise are not ever to be expected. They are produced in a scientific way to enable comparison of all types of cars from various manufacturers. They are not based on 'real life', in fact they could not be due to the many variables between cars from many sources. So, the only way to compare your car with others of the same model is to look at true mileage figures published via users and testers in the real world.

As a matter of interest, spare parts are beginning to be available and some can now be placed on order, in my case a replacement headlight.Rubber mats are not yet available though. Maybe parts become available in the order the would need to be supplied. ie. headlights because of accidents, so carpets come way down the line. (my headlight is imperfect hence the replacement - so far I am accident free!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good luck getting anywhere near fords MPG let alone 20% less.

I have had mine since Oct 6th and now have 2335 miles in a mix of town and motorway and my MPG figures are still as above.

I driveconservatively most of the time.

AGAIN VERY DISAPPOINTING

I have my mats - came on wed!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Part of the 'running in' is computer based now isn't it? So the ECU learns your driving style and adjusts everything accordingly.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
No idea. Where do you get that information from?

What you suggest would make the computer predictive? Otherwise how/why would it need to learn your style? Also how would it unlearn if there are more than one driver?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes, cold engine starts and cold engine running need much more fuel that a hot engine start and running. That is why the computer records the %age of cold starts.

As far as I can see in addition to the above, the computer measures the amount of fuel injected into the engine over time and resolves this against the distance traveled. That figure will increase or decrease according to driving style and internal friction. There will come a point sooner or later, where, if your style/place of driving does not change markedly, the average mpg will plateau.

Mine appears to be close to that now because I have driven quite a few miles since my mpg increased after an out of town drive and it has only dropped back 0.1mpg.

57.7 is the combined average and according to what I have read about actual mileage achieved, I can expect about 20mpg less than that. Now in town I am getting 36.6 which is only 1.1mpg below that estimate.

Perhaps I am a perfect driver! ROFLMAO.

I was Police trained so should be heavy footed as Police are supposed to have big feet LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Makem,"I was Police trained so should be heavy footed as Police are supposed to have big feet LOL"

I don't think driving to the system will make much difference, Lol. I did enjoy the Chelmsford skid-pan

all those years ago. (ex Cambs police)

I don't know if this applies in your cases but the moremileageyou do since your last odometer reset, the slower the MPG will adjust. That's what I find with my C Max, I had posted before I take delivery of my new B max tomorow, but can't see the post...

I recon those EU fuel economy figures are often a bit un-achievable too. Perhaps they do it on a perfect day with a six-stone driver, buff naked.

all the best,

John.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts