·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have the ecoboost 125 zetec!
The fuel consumption is disappointing!
I am approaching 2000 miles done.
I reset my guages when I fill up and so far have avevaged between 32 and 40 mpg!
A little less than advertised!
Any thoughts! ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
To be honest if you even have a casual interest in m.p.g., you should really seriously consider buying a diesel. I used to own a Toyota Rav diesel four wheel drive which recorded an average of 52 m.p.g.; the identical petrol version of that car only did 35 m.p.g.
My 1.6 CRDI fluctuates between 65 and 67 m.p.g.. I have done 2000 miles and only reset the meter once.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
teamandrews said:
Hello!
I have the ecoboost 125 zetec!
The fuel consumption is disappointing!
I am approaching 2000 miles done.
I reset my guages when I fill up and so far have avevaged between 32 and 40 mpg!
A little less than advertised!
Any thoughts! ?
You will never and should never achieve the figures quoted in sales advertising. You may get nearer to them than other owners but that is down to the driver and conditions.

These figures are only to enable you to compare like with unlike eg. in deciding whether to buy a B-MAX or another similar vehicle from a different manufacturer, you can use these figures.

Why can you? Because the requirements to achieve these are set out in order to enable a statistical comparison to be made.

If you want to then decide what the actual mileage could be for both vehicles you are comparing, you need then to look at reports from actual drivers on as many forums as possible.

Another thing I take into account is the saving made in the Excise Licence, spread over the yearly cost of fuel, the environmental savings and whether your driving is mainly short or long distance overall. Then a true cost per mile becomes a better comparison method.

My previous petrol car averaged 25mpg and I paid a top Licence fee so I now make a great overall saving at 40mpg plus £30 fee. However, my previous car was a coupe sports car which I did not drive sedately. Is that a fair comparison?

My opinions only and no doubt someone may shoot them down

·
Registered
231 Posts
In addition to the points Mackem made, there is the widely publicised fact that the tests are totally unrealistic. If you want to research this try the 'Honest John' website, it may dispel some of the fog surrounding the subject.
How unreal are tests which can give a large Beamer £30 Road Tax based on emissions?

Geriatricus

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your thoughts.
I looked at honest john before buying and am still disappointed.
I was aware of the sales figures and am still disappointed.
I also considered a diesel but was advised that for my relatively short journeys the 125 was a better bet.
I just expected more than this!
Will it improve with age?

Thanks to you all
From disappointed b max owner. :-(

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Doubt you will ever get an average over 40 unless you make longish journeys.

Best you can do is keep to high gears as much as possible without straining the engine and change gear when indicated on the dash or just before. Don't let the engine run idle for long periods (put up with the cold lol). Keep windows shut at all times. Anticipate having to stop or slow down so minimising braking.

I did all that when I first got the car, now I just drive it without considering consumption. However, anticipation has always been a watchword and always will be.

·
Registered
96 Posts
At 65 mph on the m'way I can get 47.4 mpg. About town 37.0 mpg.
I am happy with that, my old car (VW Polo 1.2) did a smidgen more on the m'way at 50mpg but was much less powerful.

The salesman said to me " It has the power output of a 1.6, if you drive it like a 1.6 then you get the mpg of a 1.6". Early change ups are beneficial and I short shift down the box, sometimes knocking it into neutral and coasting to a halt. Not correct by the police driving manual (that's how I learnt to drive) but with modern brakes etc engine braking is not important.

I get 2mpg more on the better Shell fuel, I think it's called "V Power Nitro", but it costs more.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Shame on you! You would fail a test if you coasted at any time.

Did a Police Officer teach you and were you tested by a Police Officer? (Just trying to judge your age
)

·
Registered
96 Posts
hello Makem, Yes and Yes, how old am I? Old enough to remember Motorways without speed limits, milkman horse and cart, no TV, no mobile phones, no computers and so on.
That makes me about 70 But keep it quiet.

Geoff

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello GeoffWe all know you are 41 unless you have been telling porkie pies

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
hallii said:
hello Makem, Yes and Yes, how old am I? Old enough to remember Motorways without speed limits, milkman horse and cart, no TV, no mobile phones, no computers and so on.
That makes me about 70 But keep it quiet.

Geoff
Whistle, black gloves, truncheon on your own in the town at night on your way to the next point?

·
Registered
96 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Whistle, black gloves, truncheon on your own in the town at night on your way to the next point?
[/QUOTE]

Makem, I think you know something, I must question you 1960s style.

geoff

Edited by: hallii

1 - 12 of 12 Posts