Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am thinking of buying a Titanium Petrol 1.00 litre 123 BHP but unsure of the MPG they get as on a test drive I was getting 30 MPG, I know the official MPG but I would like an honest answer from members that can advise what kind of mileage you get please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi BobAfraid my car is a 1.6 auto having said that I get 30 mpg around town and 48/50 mpg on a long run the reason I only get 30mpg is because the auto box will not go into 5/6 gear under 30 mph even if you try it manually. Not worried about consumption as I don't do a lot of miles lovely car though
David

Ps these are actual figures ie by filling up at pump not dashboard computer figures

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have a 123 B Max on order and I'm not expecting much more than 40 mpg. However a lot will depend on whether you do most of your driving in the city or open road.
You will never get anywhere near the published figures as to achieve these, the test is done on a rolling road with no wind resistance, I think and they strip almost everything out of the car.

I currently have a 1-25 Fiesta and will be happy if the B Max gives me anything better than the 43 MPG I get out of the fiesta on average.

A gentle drive at 50 MPH on an open road will give you amazing MPG, but at 80 on the motorway, the figures will go right down. It will also depend on how much you use the turbo - can't remember offhand when it kicks in, but I will know when I take delivery and drive it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mines a 1.0 ltr 123 PS and I get 40.0 MPG with mostly urban /town motoring and a bit of motorway thrown in.

On a long mway run I got 45mpg. Not that good, but, and it's a big but, that 123PS really shifts the car when you use it, and I am not light footed.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yeah, I sometimes drive in granny mode for economy and sometimes like to give it some welly to give the missus a fright.

Im largely expecting fuel consumption similarto my Fiesta 1.25 or perhaps a fraction better. That is high 30s around town, high 40s on a gentle run and mid 40s at motorway speeds.

Ive had the Fiesta 5 years and never reset the mpg display. Ive done 20000 miles with an average MPG of 43.

When I used the car daily for work in rush hour traffic, I was getting 38 MPG

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have posted previously about mpghttp://www.bmaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/is-it-me_topic1354.html I have a 64 plate auto 1.6 petrol Titanium X. After two recent Suffolk to Heathrow airport return trips, including being stuck in queues, my monthly average is 46.2mpg (indicated).
I use Cruise Control a lot and believe that this is more economical than normal driving either because of a heavy foot or, I think, better managed fuel mix/supply on cruise. I would be interested to know if the engine management could be affecting my mpg.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
46.2 from a normally aspirated Ford engine and auto gearbox sounds good to me, but mpg is much more affected by the speed you set on cruise or drive. i.e., do you cruise at 50 mph or 90 mph.

I think if you drive at 70, whether that is with or without cruise, the mpg would broadly be the same.

Most people who complain about the economy are doing a lot of town and city driving where the autobox is spending a lot of time in low gears and is constantly accelerating and decellerating or simply doing a lot of short yrips where the engine hardly warms up.

If you want real economy, then ditch the auto box and buy a diesel. That said, i am currently averaging 44 mpg on my 1.0 123 bhp b max.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Call me tight, or anything else you want to, but. I am glad I got the 1.6 diesel. i do drive like a bit of a Granny most of the time, but I do keep up with the traffic. I use cruise whenever and wherever I can and I get a return(showing on my display) of 57 mpg but checking my fuel consumption nearer to 61mpg. Thats 18.5k miles showing on the clock and I have never reset the counter. Although I am strange enough to have nearly every fuel reciept from when the car was new.. How wierd is that? Feel free to tell me......

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Had my B Max 1.0 123 bhp for 13 months now and covered 11k miles at an average mpg of 45 since new. I don't do much driving in town though, but when I do, the economy seems better than a 70mph drive on the motorway. I'm pretty happy with the car, performance and MPG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts