Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AllAt this moment in time I don't own a Bmax , but looking at options .

I bought my wife 2013 a Cmax Titanium 1.6dtci which we have had about 6 weeks and she absolutely hates the car !
Despite test driving it for some time.
We had a Nissan note previously and i think I have come to the conclusion that the Cmax its simply too big for her .
Personally I love the car , but having been married for 21yrs I think it might by wise to consider an alternative car .
We looked at the Bmax and she liked the Sliding door arrangement etc .
So i thought I would join here to see what people who actually own a Bmax thought of them in terms of practicality , driving experience etc before I take a financial hit on the Cmax .

The issues she has with the Cmax are , Blindspots (of which i will give her that) , reversing into a parking space in a supermarket is a nightmare according to her.
Im used to driving Vans and perhaps its too late for her at 50 to start using mirrors correctly , so its less of a problem for me .
I used to have a 14 plate Focus 1.6tdci Titanium with upgrades as a company car , so the Cmax is pretty much a Focus and with 18" alloys and huge tyres handles better than my old Focus .

There are not enough cubby holes and storage spaces .
MPG is not the best for a Diesel (averaging about 43mpg) , so the claimed lab resulting 65mpg in just never going be achievable in the real world .
I have a chronic spinal condition ( Although I do my best just to get on with life and work full time), hence the need for a vehicle with a slightly higher ride height and seating height .

The Ford Salesman talked us out of a Bmax at the time saying "its a not in the same class to drive as the Cmax".
His words , not mine !
So I'm still thinking that the way to a happy life , is a happy wife .
its a matter of whether i chop the Cmax in and take a hit on the money (we paid £8,495 for it) , sell it privately (unlikely at this time of year?).
put my sons VW polo (he is at Uni) on the road , while i try to sell the Cmax?

Anyway , lots of options to consider .
any advice from Bmax owners appreciated.

Cheers
Keith

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi and welcome,
Having had both types, I can see where your wife is coming from. The principal reason for us downsizing was the feeling the 'C' was so big, and am now on my second 'B'. The thing about the 'B' is that it feels larger inside than it is outside - more roomy.
Blindspots, I believe that there is only really one - the 'B' pillar. It does mean using the mirors when pulling away, but as generally most people do the 'over-the-shoulder' check not normally a problem.
Reversing into parking spots, OK if the car has reversing sensors, otherwise the high seating position can make it a bit of a bind; so choose a model with reversing sensors. Otherwise the high position and comparatively low bottom edge to the wind- and side-screens make for good visibility
Cubby holes, a few but she should investigate on a test drive and be critical.
If you do less than 10K miles a year then a diesel is not a good idea, but if more then all the reports say virtually NONE of the manufacturers figures can be believed. Check on the 'Honest John' website for some real life figures. I don't know the actual consumption for the 'B' diesel as I have a petrol, but plenty on here do.
Comfort, I also have a spinal condition (cervical) and it is great; as the access means no bending to get in or straining round the 'B' pillar to mess with kids seats in the back. The ride is softer on steel wheels, otherwise get the smallest alloy wheels (biggest section tyres) you can. The seating is supportive all the way up the back and compliant enough for most people.
Could the salesman have had an axe to grind, as the 'C' and 'B' are aimed at different markets? There are many reasons for that, but it is worth considering another dealer. I don't buy from the one just down the road because of the attitude of one of the salesman there, but go to the next town. The Service Department is fine, just this one annoying salesman. So insist on a decent test drive, and be prepared to walk away if it does not suit the good lady.
Finally, and this is a personal thing, do not touch an automatic with a bargepole. Look through this forum and you will see why I say that.

Geri

·
Registered
265 Posts
Once I had sorted the auto clutch, the only issue for me is the very thick front upright on the rear sliding door. It needs to be strong as there is no central pillar but it does cause a blind spot when looking over your left shoulder.Easy to drive, handles very well for a 'taller' car, comfortable seating once you adjust to front seat belts being mounted on seats rather than car body.

·
Registered
242 Posts
CMax V's BMax.... The only real issue I can see the wife still having if she were to go for the BMax, is the blind spots. If as I presume, she sits in one position and doesn't move her head about in order to elimate the blind spots in any car. She will have real issues with the BMax's blind spots. The A post can cause a bit of a blind spot, especially when approaching hazards on slight right hand bends. The other real big blind spot is caused by the Bposy#t pillar, which again can be overcome by moving around in the seat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why not get your dealer to lend you one for a few hours, you really can't judge how a car is on a test drive with the dealer sat beside you. Trust me I've had to take a hit getting rid of a month old car too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts