Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just used my new BMax for the first time in the dark and a bit confused over the main headlight beam. I seem to be only able to pull the lever to flash and not to put on full beam. Am I missing something? The lever doesn't push forward.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It is the same operation for putting main beam on and turning off. You must pull the lever towards you further than the position for flashing your lights. Hope this works for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one John that did the trick, I guess I was a bit wary of using too much force. Thanks for the advice,
glad I found this owners site.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad it worked Jack. Which model have you got ? Mine is the 1.6 diesel. No doubt like me, you are quite alarmed by some of the issues raised elsewhere in the forum; but touch wood in my 3 months of ownership things have gone well.

I see you are located in Barry, I am often in Cardiff for the rugby, next visit a week on Saturday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John. I have got the 1.0 L ecoboost titanium and have to say I am very impressed so far. I took it to Swansea yesterday for the football and my mates were also suitably impressed ( better than the football). I was also alarmed by some of the comments, but mine has been fine in the two weeks I have owned it. I guess for every faulty car there must be thousands of good ones. Enjoy the rugby , I will be watching on TV being a football man myself.

Geoff ( Jackatbarry being a Swansea Jack living in Barry )

·
Registered
234 Posts
The headlamp flash is one of those irritants with the motor. All my other cars have had the flash/main beam working in opposite directions. With the B-Max arrangement it is almost impossible to flash the headlightswhilst the lights are on, without going into main beam and blinding someone in the opposite direction. Should be one for the face-lift to correct.

As Ford have publicly declared they take no notice of forums, but most of the dissatisfaction having only this type of place to be aired; would it be worthwhile to have a 'Sticky' thread for 'Irritating easily-solved items' like this? If so, add the stupidly small heaterbutons from me. In gloves it's a miracle if they do what you want.

Geriatricus

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
In my opinion the ability to flash your headlights is to show your presence, not to say, "You can go first" which it is often used for. That can be misinterpreted as "I am going first".

If your dipped headlights are on then unless the other driver/s is/are half blind, they know you are there and don't need a flash.

It is similar to waving somebody out or to cross the road in front of you, totally dangerous.

In a position where it is not obvious who goes first then somebody needs to make the first move with care rather than the assumption they now have right of way or have been given the right of way.

Common example: You want to turn left (or right), into a narrow road where a car is waiting to join your road. You flash, he starts to come out but neither saw the overtaking cyclist or car! BANG.

Would you stop? You caused the collision.

Sorry, seen to many avoidable collisions and futures damaged for life.

As for gloves, you should never drive whilst wearing thick gloves. You do not have the same 'feel' as with bare hands or with special thin driving gloves. Then no problem with the button size.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
418 Posts
Flash and Crash is the modern insurance scam, but I still think there is a window for sensible use of the system that has been with us for decades; BUT only in crawling traffic.

If it is my intention to proceed I put the head lights on and leave them on to complete the manoeuvre. If I am giving way to oncoming traffic and am doing 10 m.p.h. or less I flash once. I alsouse the flash once action to invite vehicles ahead of me waiting to turn in front of me; and for larger vehicles on trunk roads or motorways to come back into my lane when clear of my vehicle during an over take manoeuvre.

I also emphasise that if I am on a road junction waiting to pull out on to another road, and I see a vehicle approaching with its left indicator flashing; I never assume that vehicle is turning left.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
When you flash is it a quick flash or a long one?

How long before a quick flash is a long flash?

Long flash indicates anger?

Two long flashes wow, getting really angry!

That's how I use flashing but I am probably wrong to do that.

Some people would use their horn but that can be illegal.

Problem with flashing is that it is not taught therefore it is wide open to interpretation especially by foreign and novice drivers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't use flash at all, and I ignore any flashes I get.

The meaning is not clear, and around here it can mean anything from "get out of my way pillock" to "I cannot turn right until you get your car out of the way"

The best signal I had lately was the windscreen wiper signal, the lady was convinced she had flashed me and was quite annoyed that I refused to move out in front of her!

Geoff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same for me. I was sitting in the car last night having collected it in the morning and was dreading breaking the switch off the column! I had a car a long time ago with this sort of arrangement but had forgotten about it so I didn't think to try it. It's a good job we don't have random foot pedal arrangements.

Well done, Forum.

bp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts