Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my B Max on 25 April and am still waiting for a build and delivery date. I seen a photo of Boe_Boe's B Max Individual. He had it lowered and I am thinking of doing that too. I wonder does any one have any experience with the value of lowering the car i.e. what difference does in make in handling, problems with snow covered roads during winter... things like this. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can provide.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I always thought that the reason to lower a cars suspension was for better handling at very high speed. Do you intend to take your car to a track session? my neighbour lowered his car, and as we live in a country that averages 40MPH , it seemed to me a bit pointless. When he took me out in it, it was the most bone crunching, pain filled ride I have ever taken. Every slight imperfection of the road is felt by every part of your body.

IMO - The pro's are that it does make the car look nice... the con's are you will go though alot of cushions on the drivers chair...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, Thanks for the quick reply. This is the kind of info I am looking for. Is the job worth the cost? The kit cost Euro 79 plus the cost of installation. I feel it is a bit high if all I get out of it are the looks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
actually i was thingking the same of lowering my B-MAX (to be delivered in July)

the lower you go the more 'road imperfection' you going to feel..

atleast Ford is offering 30mm Eibach kit for B-MAX .. i presume this the lowest depthB-MAX chasis can take withsome ride compromise..

but still i would like to hear from Boe-boe how it feels with lowered B-MAX
(his B-MAX is fitted with Wolf 35mm kit)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnMaster, I see you are expecting delivery in July. I was hoping for a July delivery but haven't heard a peep from Ford. Can you tell me when you ordered your car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, I hope you can understand what I write, it is feather ;) By the driving behavior noticeably firmer, but not uncomfortable. The curves driving behavior is very good. Of course you can feel by the more uneven. But for me, outweigh the benefits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i ordered end of April... Ford dealer here in Finland didn't give any estimate initially at that time..they said it depend on car production date and they can only give estimated delivery date when the production date is known.. delivery to here will be anywhere between 4-6 weeks from production date.

they informed early this month (June) that the delivery will be middle of July.. (already checked twice)

so by going it looks like it tooks ~ one month for production date after the car is ordered by the dealer.. my understanding from them is if they can find the production date slot at the factory, it just matter of days for the car get assembled.. and to get production slot it might depend from where (country) you are ordering..

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks boe_boe for sharing your experience..

i don't mind some ride compromise but just ...not too much

let's see...maybe i should enjoy the B-MAX as it is first before deciding..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Johnmaster, thanks for the information. I can assume that I should be hearing soon that mine is in production as I also ordered end of April...25 April. Have you received a VIN? Like you I will drive for a couple of weeks to get the feel of the car before I make a decision on lowering. I am looking forward to getting my B Max.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Surely lowering would invalidate the warranty and also you are legally obliged to declare it to your insurance company.
This is a B max we are talking about Not some track car or performance sports car.
I fail to see the benefits - just make the car more uncomfortable.

·
Registered
213 Posts
simon1966 ,

Yes, you should contact your insurer when the use of your vehicle is in the UK with any modifications not fitted as standard by the manufacturer.

However, the other members discussing this application are from other EU member states and they may not have to declare any modifications to their respective insurers.

The way the other members are talking, it might be that the modifications may be via Ford Europe Dealerships in Denmark, Finland and Germany

·
Registered
26 Posts
you are right fossil..

Here in Finland, the lowering kit is sold by Ford Finland as accessories and fixed by them...it doesn't void the warranty..and you don't have to inform the insurer either

gone are the days where lowering kits are only for sport or performance car..

@Hal... no i didn't received VIN... i'll check this when my sales person is back from his holidays.. i can wait, no hurry

·
Registered
38 Posts
which b-max looks better? This is precisely a reason to lower the ride height for me. Add to that the better driving behavior.

before

after

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boe_Boe, You have convinced me, your lowered B Max looks much better. Additionally, since you have said the ride has improved, I am going ahead and lower mine when it arrives. One question though, was there any problem with the TUV inspection and were you required to report it to your insurer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
As a suggestion, if you have not done so in the past, ride in a lowered vehicle before spending money on having it done. Not to take anything away from Boe_Boe, but everyone has different notions of comfort when driving.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Right then. I am only a couple foclicks away from ordering the kit to lower my BMax by 30mm. So what else do I need to prepare for when lowering my BMax? Do I need any other parts, like shocks? or do the Original ones work well. Any help will be gratefully recieved.

·
Registered
54 Posts
B-Max is already too low for my taste

Given the road conditions, high curbs and speed bumps in my environment, I would probably be better off with something more rugged, like Vitara or SX-Cross, with 18 cm ground clearance.
If I would go that "lowering" route, I would probably take the Fiesta or Focus, it looks like better fit for the purpose.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nick said:
B-Max is already too low for my taste

Given the road conditions, high curbs and speed bumps in my environment, I would probably be better off with something more rugged, like Vitara or SX-Cross, with 18 cm ground clearance.
If I would go that "lowering" route, I would probably take the Fiesta or Focus, it looks like better fit for the purpose.
I agree. I often scrape the front valance on kerbs at the end of car park bays, especially Starbucks (at least two nearby with the same issue)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think the look of the lowered BMax (and some other Small MPV's) look great. Iam aware of the implications on speed humps (of which there aren't many round my part(Fortunately)). Butthelooks outweigh any possible negatives at this point. I am mechanically minded enough to fit the springs and anything else I need to do, but never lowered a car and not knowing nayone who has done so with a reasonable amount of professionalism. I am wanting sound advice before continuing on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Springs will work with your existing shocks so nothing else to change. I'm not sure if it's available for the B-Max but you can sometimes get coilovers which change the shocks too but you don't need this. I've changed just to lowering springs plenty of times.

One thing that might be worth doing afterwards is just to have some wheel alignment done, just to make sure you don't get any uneven tyre wear.

Post plenty of pictures when you're done!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts