Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is learning to drive our car and I attached magnetic plates as they must be removed when a qualified driver drives the car.

The one on the rear so far has not been a problem and nor has the front one - until tonight!

The only ferrous metal place at the front is the bonnet which is nearly horizontal, certainly flat enough to allow the wind to get under the plate and blow it off when she reached 60mph.

I could stick the front one on but how many times could I do that before it lost it's sticky? I could tie it on but what hassle to remove and re-tie.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a reasonable solution?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Could you reinforce the L Plate with extra magnetic strips ?

Amazon sell rolls of magnetic strips that you can cut and are self adhesive on one side, and magnetic on the other...

Amazon Link << will take you to the magnetic strip product on Amazon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Makem,

What if you used a piece of that Black Plastic in a square on the grille at the front, and held it on using 2 c/sunk headed bolts with small rear plates over wing nuts behind the grille [to be able to remove completely]
Put on your sticky magnetic strips, and maybe that might work with the strips at the rear of the L Plate
Yes, a bit of work, but it would perhaps solve the problem. It would also blend in with the black grille!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Davis_Zadian said:
Could you reinforce the L Plate with extra magnetic strips ?

Amazon sell rolls of magnetic strips that you can cut and are self adhesive on one side, and magnetic on the other...

Amazon Link << will take you to the magnetic strip product on Amazon.

Thanks for that. However in looking around I remembered having seen magnetic plates where the whole back was a magnet. Checked Halfords and lo and behold if you have enough dosh, there they are!

In place they look as if they would stay there but at that cost from Halfords I can't afford to lose one so will put some sticky packing tape along the bottom edge to direct the wind over the very thin plate edge.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fossil01 said:
Makem,

What if you used a piece of that Black Plastic in a square on the grille at the front, and held it on using 2 c/sunk headed bolts with small rear plates over wing nuts behind the grille [to be able to remove completely]
Put on your sticky magnetic strips, and maybe that might work with the strips at the rear of the L Plate
Yes, a bit of work, but it would perhaps solve the problem. It would also blend in with the black grille!
That's an engineers solution! were you, like me an engineer at one time lol?

It would work of course but a bit OTT and a little ugly. Maybe as a last resort?

One idea that did come to me as an engineer was to replicate what the driving schools have and clip something with an L plate attached on the roof. But again OTT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts