Ford B-Max Forum banner

Jump Start

10K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  cianpars 
I can honestly say my 1.6 diesel is a belting BMAX for starting and charging. I do a 25 mile round trip each day to/from work, during dark hours at this time of year, it is parked outside so I need to use the heated screens and wipers etc.. and I have not (up to now had any drama or sound of a drama) with it starting and it is 3 1/2 years old.
To correctly use your car to start. Connect the jump leads to your battery terminals, both of them. Be careful of them shorting at this point. Connect the negative to the dead cars engine (not battery) then the positive to the battery terminal. Your car can be running at this point with the dead cars ignition on, this puts some charge into the dead battery. Then switch your car off, completely OFF. Then start the dead car, once running, immediately remove the jump leads. And viola! Keeps everything safe on both cars. I know of HGV'S that do require the good vehicle to remain connected to the dead vehicle for some 20 minutes, this is to stop the alternator from attempting to overcharge the dead battery. I do not know of any car manufactures that promote this.

Cainpars. I would recommend not leaving the good car running whilst starting the dead battery car. Because you have them wired up in series and charging in the same way, you are effectively putting 24 volts minimum charge into both 12v batteries. Just my interpretation of what I have come to know, believe and follow.

Hi gremlin. You are obviously correct with the parallel thing and if you've read the destruction manual and the best practice procedure. Then go by that. I do much prefer to use the method (s) that I've become used to, and never having had a problem I will continue to do so. I do however understand the younger generation going by what they are now taught, I doubt many of them bother reading the instructions on how to best do it, and given many of their patience thresholds. I also doubt they will ask for advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.