Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member to this forum and I am hoping someone can help me. I picked up my car from a Ford Dealer (Days) Thursday afternoon; it is a Ford B-Max 1600cc powershift auto. We are initially very pleased with it, however, yesterday, I cleaned it and because I dropped a coin and it rolled under the car, too far for me to reach.
As I only needed it to move it about a couple of feet I switched the key to ignition position and put the auto stick into neutral position and moved the car two feet backwards to pick up the coin. When I went to start afterwards it would not start with all the red lights coming on and making a clicking noise. Looking at the manual I think it has immobilised.

Can someone advise me what to do to put this right. One of the suggestions I came across was to disconnect the battery for about ten minutes, saying that could reset the immobiliser. I assume it would also mean that all the personalised settings, clock, audio, phone etc.. would be reset.

Alternatively I will have wait for tomorrow and get on to the dealer but they are 15 miles away so assume that either they will tell me or they will come out to see to it but assume that there will be a hefty charge for this. Any advice would be appreciated.

One other thing I tried the spare key (manual) and when I unlocked the car the alarm went off and it was cancelled when I inserted the key in the ignition and turned the key.

Edited by: muffybean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Symptoms have some similarity to my initial problem. Although I had a beep or two as well.Is the Neg terminal fully in contact and tightened (AA man suggested this was a Ford issue at one time).
Alarm sounder has back up and would trigger ifyour battery disconnects I believe .

I had to reset the radio etc .

Incidentally what size is your battery ?.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not think it is a battery issue as all the electrical systems seem A1, full headlights, windscreen wipers work fine. The car has only done 2,450 miles regged in November 2012.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would be interested to know what the problem is found to be.

Loose / or dirty connections as well as low battery voltage can manifest as "clicking" and no start, from experience with other vehicles .
My general electrics all working but no start when battery voltage has dropped to 11.5V. Car will start down to 11.7V. In my case the multiple clicking and instrument panel flashing only happened when the neg terminal was loose.
In spite of the glitch with the battery which is still being monitored , we are happy with the car.
Is your battery 43Ah ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Muffybean I'm with Norford on this. Take it from a mechanic of 50 years, I can guarantee its a battery/battery terminal problem. The clicking is the starter solenoid clicking in and out. The lights come on as normal because they draw less current, but as the starter draws such a high current, the battery cannot keep up with the demand hence the solenoid clicking in and out. Check the terminals, if tight then it is a battery issue. Incidentally some B-maxes have had battery problems already. It's not uncommon. You could try just charging the battery. I don't think what you did would cause this problem, just a coincidence. Regards Micky bmax

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys, I have checked the battery connections and they are really tight and clean, in fact the engine compartment is spotless. Regarding size of battery it is a 43AH battery. Regarding the startup, when I turn on the ignition there are two quick ticks and a flashing of lights but no starter motor. I have to agree with you it does sound like a battery problem. I have had problems with batteries when I had a Jag a good few years ago. I have got a quality charger but with the car located where it is I'd have to remove the battery to take it in the garage.
Alternatively I could get my other car out of the garage to nose it up to the B-Max and connect jump leads. Do you think that is worth doing? Whatever though I am phoning the dealer up tomorrow but they are 15 miles away and I am not sure they will do anything about it unless I can get the car to them. Mind you I am a bit miffed as they supposedly gave the car a service prior to my picking it up last Thursday, I would have expected them to check the battery power when doing that. As I said the car is relatively new having done only 2,442 miles since initially registration in November 2012.

·
Registered
58 Posts
it would probably be safest to remove the battery and charge it. However this car should still be under warranty and therefore the dealer should make good. I would have a word in the morning, as you may cause a breach of conditions regarding the warranty if anything should go awry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the car is under warranty until November 2015. I will see what they say when I call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
norford said:
Would be interested to know what the problem is found to be.

Loose / or dirty connections as well as low battery voltage can manifest as "clicking" and no start, from experience with other vehicles .
My general electrics all working but no start when battery voltage has dropped to 11.5V. Car will start down to 11.7V. In my case the multiple clicking and instrument panel flashing only happened when the neg terminal was loose.
In spite of the glitch with the battery which is still being monitored , we are happy with the car.
Is your battery 43Ah ?
I got the extension lead out last night and put the battery (in the car) on charge. When I switched the charger on, the voltage read 11.5v. On checking it this morning it was 11.7v. I disconnected and when I tried to start, no change, just the usual two clicks. So I re-connected the charger and it was now reading 11.3v! Off to phone up the dealer now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: The sales manager at Days has just phoned me to say he is sending out someone to collect the car - they intend to jump start it and take it back to the dealers to check the battery. He said he will replace the battery if it proves to be faulty and try and get it back to me today. Considering they are 15 miles away I can't expect much more and I do appreciate their urgency. At least I have my other car, the jag to use.
I have to say the sales team, a chap and young lady who I was dealt with when purchasing the car, are excellent. Especially, the lady called Stacy who talked me over with the various controls. I have never had such an informative introduction when taking over a new car; she showed me all the major facets of the car and set up my phone and the emergency phone service on it as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had the car returned from Days. They put a new battery in as the old one was defective. One slight question; on a B-Max Zetec are there two reversing lights or is the right hand one a blank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to hear that the battery has been sorted. Did they replace with same capacity battery ?Varta now recommend higher capacity as replacement for this model. I don't know if Ford now fit larger battery but would love to know.

My Zetec also one reversing lamp, I was going to question this myself,only noticed when my son shifted it last week. Must be standard.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good result then Muffy old bean!!! They did look after you it seems. That's the trouble with batteries, one minute they're showing rude health and then, pop, that's the end of that!! Luckily it happened at home and not one dark and stormy night on the moors, so to speak! Not only that, less chance of a winter breakdown now.
Happy motoring!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a two year old. 1.6 Automatic BMax, which I have had for 6 month, and in the past month I have had to call Ford Assistonce twice as the car failed to Start , the last time on Monday the AA guy checked the car a said the Battery requires replaceing.He said the Battery should have had a capacity CAA of 390 instead it had a CAA of 237 , but another problem that he found was the car when switched of has a drain inniially of 3A dropping away to 300mA that is 1/3A so in 24 hours the car will have lost 8A hours of Capacity and out of 43A hour Battery is al lot, and as the car won't attempt to start at a voltage under 11.7volts.. On Wenesday the car was collected by Evans Halshaw, though they were given the full AA Report they weren't given authorisation by Ford to change the Battery they said that Ford are aware of the problem and said " to leave the Radio On when switching off the engine " there is obviously a software problem which Ford are not prepaid to fix, whether this affects other Fords I don't know, for those who got a New Battery out of Ford you did well. Perhaps when the BMax has let me down a few more times and Evans Halshaw or Polar Ford have collect the car perhaps Ford will acnoledge that the 2 year old 7000mile BMax needs a New Batery replaced under Warranty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts