Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after what's been the most fustrating 12 months of car ownership, we've dumped the B-Max and moved on after repeated appempts to get the car fixed, and more issues arising, and a total lack of any willingness on both the dealers and Fords part to accept there were faults.

The issues we had included;

- boot and doors that had to be slammed to shut (slightly better after dealer adjusted, but still meant 50% of the time you had to try again)

- Auto lights that insisted on staying on (60 mile round trips in bright sunlight)

- Steering wheel audio controls that failed to work (shown to dealer, but when booked in they couldn't find anything on diagnostics threatened to charge £85 for looking)

- Trim around windscreen coming away

- Gear stick surround coming loose

- Loud rattles from underside when travelling over bumps (these were very very loud as though the tray was loose)

- Clutch flat spot making smooth gear change near on impossible

-Failing heated front screen (4 wires clearly failed with brown marks down the windscreen)

Thewhole experience has been soured by thedealer (Stoneacre in York) whohave stated that it's just one of those things and we'd have to live with some of the issues.

Nice car, but unfortunately the quality lets itdown, and we'd bought this as a result of the reliability of the previous C-Max we'd owned for over 6 years. Ford and the dealers response to this mean thatwe'll steer away from bothFord and the particular dealership in the future as although I'm well aware a car can have issues, we've had far too many, and there was no prospect of any resolution in sight to any of these.

Good luck all...

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues.

To be honest - they don't sound major so I'm surprised the dealership hasn't acted better:

A windscreen replacement would have sorted the heating issue. Are the sensors for autolights also part of the windscreen? Perhaps Ford would rather you smashed the screen and got it replaced under your insurance?! A new screen would have sorted the trim out too I guess. Or at least do it at the same time.

Gear stick surround - a simple replacement of the trim would have sorted this? I'm guessing just a clip snapped off?

Rattles from underside - Exhaust clips or heatshield maybe?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All were issues that the dealer should have been able to sort out, but were unwilling to do, even to the point of confirming that the issue had been resolved, but later we found they had done actually addressed the issue. Unfortunately,I expect better when I buythrough a dealer.
As this was a new car, we expected it to be in A1 condition, and if not, to be fixed. Over the year, the dealer failed to address any of the issues, to the point of trying to fob us off, and stop us coming back by trying to charge us for investigating any issues when I sat with the service manager as he prodded the steering volume control which had ceased to work, and continues not to work for the next 2 days.

Even going to Ford directly, which initially looked as though it may get somewhere, failed to make any impression, so we decided to cut out losses.

The car in question was a 1.6TDCi Moondust Silver just in case you see on for sale...

Replacement is a Hyundai I30 Blue 1.6 Diesel 128 psi. Very impressed with the build quality, and the engine is so so much smoother. Admittedly reason for the B-Max was the seating position, but this doesn't feel much worse, and didn't really see the benefit in the sliding doors. And I have to stop myself from slamming the doors.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
THe i30is very low down, and I do not think you will match the B Max with fuel consumption. My previous cars were an i40 and ix20, nice cars but not without issues. Horrendous headlights on the i40, and binding brakes on the ix20, plus the noisiest diesel engine I have ever experienced. Oddly enough this noise only developed after 5000 miles. Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Johnwales.

Have had I30 for a week now, and agree it's lower down, but that aside, find it very comfortable and so far the engine is certainly alot quieter than the 1.6TDCI. Engine may not havethat immediate urge of the B-Max's, but it doesn't run out of puff whichis what I found with the B-Max.

Fuel consumption is still heading up (B-Max averaged around 55mpg (light footed) which looks about average, although well short of the 'comparison' figure of 70mpg), so we'll see how the official figure of 74 compares against reality.

So far as reliability - we'll see, although having spoken to a number of current owners about the local dealer and how they've found the car, they sound much better that the local Ford dealer where there is a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yorkie

I know how you feel, I have made many posts about quality or lack of it. The concept is great, the quality control is crap.

Mine is 12 months in March and I am OUT!

PS I had underside knocking - it was the washer bottle banging on the longeron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts