Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bmax's ampg before software update was 24mpg, now after software update, I am getting 26mpg.I drive around town. Anyone having this kind of problem?

The ampg I keep reading in forums is around 30-44 and I'm getting 26mpg! I have a 2013 1.6 powershift model.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You have a serious problem...It could be either a major fuel management problem on the car or, dare I say, 'boy racer' driving style.

Edited by: number6

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you calculating the MPG yourself brim to brim with your tank or are you using the on board computer?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I calculate it by myself after resetting the trip computer and filling it brim to brim. My computations match what is displayed on the the dashboard. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drive granny style tbh. I will be bringing it back to Ford for service. I'll be keeping you updated..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Even with the least economical engine you should bet getting above 35 so something is definitely wrong. The WORST I have had from my 1.6 tdi was 46 and that was a month of pootling around town on short journies. Normally I am looking at 56 mpg +

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Titanium X 1.6 petrol auto varies from 40 - 44 depending on what length of trips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The juddering was fixed and I was so happy. And now I have to take care of this terrible fuel consumption!

This will be my first and last Ford vehicle.Edited by: ajaserna

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Reading through the manual today, the 1.6 does look particularly thirsty compared to the othet varients. Add to this an auto gearbox which drives the mpg down even further and i guess you would be lucky to see more than 30 around town.

Do you drive a lot incongested areas? tyres inflated to the correct pressures? drive a lot fully loaded? drive short journeys, etc?

·
Registered
259 Posts
"Add to this an auto gearbox which drives the mpg down even further and i guess you would be lucky to see more than 30 around town."Sorry cianspars , I don't agree.
To get such a low mpg is either a fuel management fault or very heavy footed driving.
Mine is 1.6 petrol and auto and after 18 months has never been below 40mpg between fill ups and most of my driving is to/from and around a rural town.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I drive around Cifton, Bristol (rolling terrains, hills). Short trips - 8-10miles only. My tire pressure is 32 (front) & 34 (rear). The only load I carry around is one adult and a baby plus one pram.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The short trips in conjunction with the 1.6 petrol and auto box are not helping with your consumption. Add to this the fact that traffic congestion in Bristol is about the worst in the country and you have a recipe forbad fuel consumption.

Take it for a ride in the country and reset your mpg meter and see what it does.

I eas going to say take it for a ride down the M5, but that is just as congested as central Bristol these days.

Ive just checked the manual which says 32.8 (urban) for that engine but you can take off 1 o2 2 for the auto gearbox and published figures are always way above what you get in the real world.

Fuel consumption in the winter is always poor for short trips as the engine is warming up for half of the journey.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ford guy I inquired over the phone basically said the same thing - that my ave mpg is normal, given that it's winter and 1.6 petrol with autoshift gearbox and I probably drive with the AC on ( I dont btw).

I just can't believe that my previous 2.4 2013 CRV w/ auto gearbox ave mpg is almost the same as a 1.6 Bmax!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Fords engines have been thirsty for years compared with others.Even the 1.0 b max gets nowhere near its published mpg figures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The consumption varies enormously. On a proper run 40 mpg is perfectly possible. But restricted to cold starts and short runs the numbers start with a '2'

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would expect lower mpg with cold starts and short trips but it should still be in the 30's. My suspicion would be that it is waiting too long to change up. Try and see what rpm it upshifts. The mpg you are getting is worse than I achieved with a 1.6 Mk III automatic Cortina 40 years ago and that had the inefficient Borg Warner slush box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shifts normally (except the juddering) and on lower RPM. I suspect that the fuel mixture is way too rich and somehow it is connected with faulty electrics that is also affecting the transmission software. The best I have managed is 26.4 MPG in city driving. Note that my driving is rated @ "advance eco driver" on Ford Economode.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's an understatement considering a 6 cyl 3 L engined Range Rover's AMPG is the same as my 4 cyl 1.6 L engine econobox compact car.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I always run with elevated tyre pressures, which helps with economy. Mine are currently 38 psi all round. I ran my Fiesta at the same pressures for 5 years and 20,000 miles. No uneven tyre wear, fronts will do at least another 5,000 and rears are only half worn.

What sort of mpg are you getting on a run.

Short trips in town with an auto box and an old generation Ford 1.6 lump, I wouldnt expect much more than 30 mpg - I had a couple of Mondeos with that engine and didnt get much more than 30 round town with a manual box.

Air conditioning can hit mpg by close to 10% too.

When I towed a caravan with the mondeos, I got little more than 20 mpg driving at 50/60 on the motorway.

Ive enjoyed driving Fords over the years, but one of my bugbears has always been high fuel consumption compared with a Honda and a Vauxhall I drove in between.

Remember too that the B Max is quite heavy and quite tall causing a lot more wind resistance than a saloon.

In saying that, My 2 Fiestas averaged 45 mpg and my 1.0 B Max is averaging nearly 44 mpg over its first 1700 miles, but I do little driving around town nowadays.

Google economy driving techniques and see if using some of these will help.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cianpars, so you are saying that it is normal on short trips with the AC on for a Bmax 1.6 with powershift to have a 24-26 AMPG consumption, because it has an old engine, it is heavy and not very aerodynamic?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts