Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All (and Happy New Year to you),

Long time browser, but first time poster here - thanks to having owned a very reliable B-Max (1.6 diesel) until now...

I have an issue with my Hill Assist. It was coming on independently, mostly when starting and pulling away but a couple of times whilst driving at speed on dual carriageways (lots of smoke, heat and panicking!).

After several diagnostics (which reposted nothing), new brake callipers and checks from my local Ford Dealer, my local mechanic suggested switching off the hill assist and it's completely fixed. No issues since and at least 4000 miles covered since in did.

So - my question is this. Does switching it off have any impact on any other aspect of the car's performance? I've been told the issue was caused by a faulty ABS pump and that would cost upwards of £500 to replace. Does anyone have any experience of this issue or any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
I drive a ford Transit at work and yesterday i had a similar issue.
The van ran fine until i went to restart after making a call. The ABS, Traction control and main braking warning all lit up like a christmas tree. I also had a message on the dash about "hill start assist unavailable" and "Major brake malfunction,STOP safely". Thee AA came out and diagnosed a faulty wheel sensor for the ABS system.
Maybe you should get the sensors checked ?
I had no excess smoke issue though as i refused to move the van until checked by the AA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Folks, just updating this one in case it helps anyone experiencing the same issue. It's taken a long time and a lot of expense to resolve.

I was having two issues: the first was occasionally, when pulling away from stationary it felt I was fighting against the brakes. Second, and more seriously, from time to time on the motorway, my right-front brake would lock on without me touching the brake pedal.

To solve the first issue, I switched off the Hill Assist - this worked. However, the brake locking up on the motorway was still happening from time to time. There were no warning lights and no codes reported during diagnostics. After replacing the callipers and most other parts of the braking system, my local mechanic told me it was definitely the ABS pump - he was right! It's now replaced and everything is working great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts