Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a B Max yesterday, the 100PS Zetec in Frozen White, to replace my aging 2004 C Max 1.8 Petrol which was draining money from me.

Getting one from stock so no lengthy wait, looking forward to joining the growing number of owners

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 125 Zetechas been 100% so far. I love it.
Welcome here.

It is a shame that some people have had a few faults, no doubt they are rightly annoyed about it.
However, I have had a few new cars in my 50 years of motoring and the odd one has turned out to be a lemon. That's life. In every case the dealers have eventually sorted things out to my satisfaction.

Geoff

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I'm obviously hoping for trouble free motoring (Who isn't?) but I reckon the bad experiences far outweigh the good ones, we just hear more about the bad ones so it skews our perception.

Anyway I'm a bit biased. I've got family members working for Ford's, I get extra discount because of that and all my cars except an Astra have been Ford's in my 32 years of motoring.

Until the throttle body friedthe ECU on the C Max I wasn't thinking of a new car but asI got a pretty good deal on a stock car with a January Reg and low payments on Options I'm taking the plunge.

Overall economy from my C Max was 33 mpg (according to the trip computer) so I'm expecting an improvement.

Thanks for the welcome

Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
I get 40.9 mpg mainly town work with a bit of motorway. The biggest factor affecting MPG is when you change gear. Strange huh? You will soon get the idea, I had to learn to use the low down torque available on this engine and change gear quite early.Don't worry the onboard nag computer will record your gearchange expertise and report back. And the gear change reminder will nag you to death!
Geoff

·
Registered
418 Posts
There is a lot more to fuel economy than when you change gear. Tyre pressure, engine maintenance, use of brakes, limiting use of cruise control, and cruising speed amongst others.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Missing a gear is probably counter-productive full stop : It means you are over reving the engine in the lower gear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I don't need a computer to tell me that goodeconomy means a light right foot, early gear changes with gentle acceleration, keep in high gear with low revs, do not change speed/brake unnecessarily therefore read the road ahead etc.

I balance this by wanting to actually enjoy driving so normally I don't change gear quite so early or keep the revs as quite solow. I match the gear to the revs so that if I need the car to respond when I increase pressure on the accelerator it will, similarly lifting off will cause the engine to aid braking. This gives more control to driving the car without a harsh penalty to economy.

Lets see what the B Max does for me when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
JOHNWALES said:
Missing a gear is probably counter-productive full stop : It means you are over reving the engine in the lower gear.
Change up earlier: don't labour the engine but try
changing up at an engine speed of around 2,000 rpm in a diesel car or
around 2,500 rpm in a petrol car. This can make such a difference that
all cars in the future are likely to be fitted with a 'Gear Shift
indicator' light to show the most efficient gear change points.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/drive-smart.html

If you are at one with your car you don't need to think when, you just do it. The when depends on the road, kinetic energy already stored, gradient. Far to much to consider manually.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Basically agree with that Makem; but I have done a lot of research on numerous DIESEL cars in conjunction with the instant fuel consumption facility.I have found the critical revs for maximum economy and reasonable performance are 1850 r.p.m. Go above this line and consumption increases quite quickly; go above 2000 r.p.m. and there is a considerable increase. We could all drive around at 1500 r.p.m. and forget where the fuel intake is, but it all balances out on how important fuel costs are to the individual. How many times have you asked someone ' how much does it do to the gallon ' and got the answer ' I don't know, I never check it ! '.

The B Max 1.6 CRDI rotates at 33 m.p.h. at 1000 revs which means of course you can keep the engine under 2000 r.p.m. at the legal single carriageway U.K. speed limit. Missing out a gear whilst moving off on a downward slope makes sense; as does engaging 2nd gear a.s.a.p. But I have noticed on the diesel B Max 1.6 that 2nd gear and 3 rd. gear at low revs are quite gutless. We have a number of steep hills around here, and there is one in particular in Aberystwyth which my present car refuses to take in second gear, as it is on a sharp left hand turn there is no chance to take a run at it. Previous cars, Hyundai i40, ix20, 1.6 VW Passatt, Fiat Sedici 1.9 and Freelander 2 made easy work of the incline in second gear.

I like 6 gear cars, but my experience is that they do not offer a lower top gear r.p.m., the ratios are just narrowed down. I would be interested to hear from forum members whether they know of any cars that can offer 40 m.p.h. or more per 1000 revs in top gear. Very few manufacturers offer this information in their sales brochures or hand books. I can only imagine that vehicles achieving this figure would provide economic drivers very good returns on motorways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts