Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car just over 1 Year old and the heated windscreen only working on one side, and believe it or not but it happens to be fault on drivers side?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you always have to be sooooo pedantic

·
Registered
53 Posts
First frosty morning and I tried the heated screen and only the drivers half worked. Went and made a brew feeling pretty hacked off that this was yet another quality issue.Have been advised that Ford make it a long winded job to make a decision eg they want photos of it, they also want the dealer to minutely examine the screen for stone chips. In short they want to avoid replacing the screen and say its wear and tear!
So, this morning I went out armed with my camera phoneto get photos. Again only the drivers side worked and while I was working out how to use my new camera phone, the drivers side switched off and the passenger side defrosted!
The question is, does the drivers side have priority or is that too clever?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Modestmillionaire

Can vouch thatFord want all the boxes "ticked" before agreeing to a replacement windscreen, from start to finish it took 3 visits to garage and one day to replace.

It would appear that it is two elements within the screen as at first with my car the garage thought it might be wiring?

Screen was replaced during warranty.

Good luck

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question:- How thick is thick, or how long is a piece of string?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Whose being pedantic now !!! U.K. frost of - 3 * C. Car outside. Blades stuck to windscreen. How long to defrost in order to drive.,

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am afraid that I am not being pedantic, as you must know that depending on severity of frost, how much water content on screen at time of freezing, will determine the time to clear screen.If you are really concerned about defrost time, I would also switch on engine, set car temp,direct airflow exclusively to windscreen, etc. and would never rely on heated screen alone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Defrosted mine covered withfrost and some icy blobsthis morning and it took around 1 minute to soften enough to wiper it off...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Need to be absolutely sure it has been softened before using the wipers, unless you are happy with the rubbers being left on the screen !!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please note it is NOT a good idea to have wipers on auto if weather is frosty/freezing as they will wipe when they "see" water on screen and if ice is still present you will damage blades, on a similar topicdissable the auto wing mirror fold as they can also freezeand cause damage tomotor.Hope Grandmother is not sucking eggs!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Surely not the wing mirrors too?

Have you any evidence that damage could be caused?

Turning off the auto wiper is just a click if you think there may be a hard frost, but the mirrors means going into settings to disable it. That is quite a pain and surely they would have considered that.

The wiper blade could tear so allowing the motor to move but the mirrors if frozen solid could not release the motor so surely so sort of mechanism must be present to avoid motor damage? The action is very strong (try holding a mirror whilst it is moving) so maybe that is enough to break the ice at the point of the swivel?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for a minor number of steps to dissable the mirrors, why take a chance???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good sound advise here nasty thing to see a set of wipers destroyed by Jack Frost. My lady has a nice garage to slumber in so not a problem,but will keep this in mind if car needs to be left outside. I will be interested in what ford has to say re wing mirrors. A set of blades are expensive but hate to think what a replacement motor for wing mirror would be! No doubt one of us has a good connection with Ford and will find out! Good new year to you all.
Arm987

1 - 20 of 31 Posts