Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The left hand passenger side of the quick clear heated windscreen on my bmax is not working.
I have read a few posts around this being a common problem that normally results in a new windscreen.
Also checked the wiper problem that could knock against the fitting but this seems ok.

My Bmax is also out of warranty.

So I was wondering if it is worth changing the fuse?
I can see in the manual there is a normal blade fuse for the right handside but not the left, then a larger relay for both left and right handside.
R9 being left.
Please can you tell me if it might be worth changing this to see if it fixes the problem, and if so, where I can source the correct replacement from in the UK, as when searching I only seem to find the normal small blades and not this larger relay?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
the easiest, and best test is to swap relays / fuses for the left and right parts of the screen.
if that moves the problem, then you know what is a fault. if the problem stays the same it indicates its not fuse / relay related

should be able to get fuses and relays at any ford parts places

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. And can't believe I was that stupid to not think of swapping the fuses over!
After trying this the left hand side still does not clear, so its not fuse/relay related.

So looks like electrical/element problem that probably means new windscreen. So I think I will stick to the old school scrapper method rather than waste money replacing the whole thing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I suspect the problem is low battery voltage. The car has a 'power management' system and the combination of cold weather and use of electrical loads may have caused low battery voltage. The object of the system is to try to ensure sufficient battery voltage to start the vehicle. Annoying as it is, I'd rather have a car that will start rather than have a fully functioning heated front screen. A long run or an overnight trickle charge may cure it; personally I'd just wait for the weather to get a bit warmer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect the problem is low battery voltage. The car has a 'power management' system and the combination of cold weather and use of electrical loads may have caused low battery voltage. The object of the system is to try to ensure sufficient battery voltage to start the vehicle. Annoying as it is, I'd rather have a car that will start rather than have a fully functioning heated front screen. A long run or an overnight trickle charge may cure it; personally I'd just wait for the weather to get a bit warmer.
Thanks for this. Could well be it.
As I do not do a lot of mileage, and most of the time the car sits out the front of the house and only does very short trips when in use.

Will try to give it a long run or a charge and see if that helps kick the left side in next time.

But agree with you.....would much rather the car start when required and live without the heated screen!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there
New to the forum, have the same problem with the wife's car. Driver side would not come on, only the passenger side did. It was working a couple of weeks ago.
I took off the 2 fuses (40A rating), visually checked them and also put a ohm meter across them in-case of a high resistance joint with the fuse, both where fine. These are fuse 9 and fuse 10 (engine compartment).
Then I checked both relays, R10 & R10 underneath the glove box. Took them out and applied 12v to the relay (pin 1 & 2) to see if it clicked, they both clicked. Also check the resistance whilst energised to check the contacts that carry the load. Both where OK, zero ohms.
A couple of weeks ago I updated the SYNC 1 software for the car, I wonder if this has something to do with the drivers side not coming on, software bug perhaps. Not sure if the firmware update has anything to do with the climate control?

Why would the power management switch only one side on and leave the other off, particular for the drivers side (If this was the problem).
Will have to check if both relays kick in when the engine is running, too cold in the garage tonight (four degrees)

Any thoughts
Regards :smile::smile::smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.