Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this morning it was frosty and the electric front windscreen on my daughters BMax is only clearing the passenger side. Any views; is it a fuse or blockage or anything else?
Thanks
Fred1234

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had same fault, ford changed windscreen after taking photographs with car misted up, sent to ford who authorised replacement after a week had passed!! (3 visits to garage)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. It has been booked into garage this Wednesday. They said that the windscreen is split into two halves and that it may be something to do with the Smart Energy system and linked to low wattage.Hopefully it is frosty tomorrow morning and, like you did, we will take photographs.
Kind Regards

·
Registered
155 Posts
They tried to give me that story about "low energy", all I can say is since replacing windscreen it has worked perfect, do not get "fobbed off", your car is probably still within warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can assure you that I won't get fobbed off. Car is 15 months old so well inside warranty. I have just checked fuses in engine compartment; there are 2 for front windscreen no.s 9 and 10 but these are ok. Going to test again later on tonight if windscreen goes misty and see what happens - or early am tomorrow.
Kind Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All, Bmax went in garage today to have faulty windscreen
tested. No problems with electrics so windscreen is faulty. I took photo
this am which they have forwarded to Ford and
ordered a replacement windscreen to be fitted
in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good news, hope this will be the end of your car trouble

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Fred1234 said:
Hi All, Bmax went in garage today to have faulty windscreen
tested. No problems with electrics so windscreen is faulty. I took photo
this am which they have forwarded to Ford and
ordered a replacement windscreen to be fitted
in a couple of weeks.

Any chance of posting the pic you took Fred?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yup on the frostiest morning this year, what happens, the drivers side of the windscreen failed to clear. Going to the dealer on the way home to see what needs to be done....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds like new windscreen?, although the garage will have to go through the ritual of steaming car up, then take photographs to send to Ford. If my experience is anything to go by it will take about two to three weeks before decision is made.Be aware nearside screen clears quicker than offside part of screen, (left hand drive scenario)

Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yup you were right.
Day at the garage just to fog up the screen and see if it's not working....photos etc

Surely there is something more technical they could check it with... may be not !!

2- 3 weeks then another day at the garage to have a new screen fitted

Pre Christmas....hope so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you get this sorted as ours is faulty.
They could use an infrared thermometer or thermal imaging camera to test it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You must be joking, this is Ford you are talking about!Steam up - photograph - await summons from garage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
well dont bother checking if under warranty, as Ford will only wriggle out of it! Mine--2 sections between steering column & radio column on mine werent working last week, rang up ford service dept, told yes windscreen under warranty book in to take a look..... and a 'look' it was !!apparantly they only do a visual check..wonderful eyesight these guys have... he 'spotted' a mark... Oh so sorry your screen has a chip and its sitting right on the elements and chip damage not covered on your warranty.... well the chip is absolutely tiny.. so small it can not be filled... yet they can 'see' so deep that it has damaged the elements... no other tests, no check on fuses or connections. I asked them to do one. They said as they could see the damage... they dont do a diagnostic test, as it not covered under warranty.

I challenged their 'visual report' as the windscreen is made up of 2 sheerts of glass approx 2mm each with the elements embedded inbetween them. (so overall at least 4mm thick.) Wikappeadia!
I asked..That chip is so tiny please measure that is 2mm deep... sorry cant do that, dont have a tool that does. We can tell by looking at it... well Ford must really NOT of tested this screen, if they are quite happy to have it so close to the surface & unprotected, it makes the warranty worthless. which it cant be.. it can only be between the 2 sheets, It would be impossible to add the elements during the making of the sheets of glass (the heat would melt Quickclear elements!).

I am now awaiting a response from Customer services! Good luck x Lucy

·
Registered
54 Posts
I forgot to say while I was at the dealers two chaps from a local windscreen company where replacing a rear screen on a nearly new Fiesta car and I asked them about the B-Max front screen and they told me they had replaced a lot .
That tells me It's an issue with the design or manufacture !.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How do you edit your own post.

I wanted to add .
@Lucy "re. Mine--2 sections between steering
column & radio column on mine weren't working last week"
That's the same part ours does not work !.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After taking some legal advice from Which, and CAB, -its for Ford to prove they are right not for me to prove them wrong. So i got them to give me their written report of the 'job'... slightly reluctant..got his manager to do it. they wrote it up as visually tested. I said have all your technications 20/20 x-ray/vision ? I am now legally advised that i should take my car to an approved ford garage for a second opinion...which will cost me and probably not worth the effort as they will find a way not to pay up.

My daughters half brother works at Fords Dunton and he found out that this is a known fault but will not outside of the 'office' admit it....
Makes me laugh that the brochure states how rigorous the b-max engine/ suspension have been tested & yet the biggest most exposed part of the b-max isnt mentioned in these tests. I do believe that the 'windscreen is not fit for purpose' with such a flaw, & poor design, and should be able to claim under consumers act. but yet another lengthy process....grrh hate that the smarmy service guys have one over on me!

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have windscreen cover on your car insurance, the insurance company would/could replace windscreen if it was cracked?
Not that I am suggesting anything illegal should take place!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ford have told us our new windscreen as come in so got to get the car to them to fit it, all free .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts