Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AllHandbrake travel inquiry !
When I picked up my new B-Max I was concerned about the excesstravel in the handbrake,you can pull the leaverup about eight clicks. I thought that was a bit much and asked the dealer to check it out. They told me that was normal for the B-Max Don't know if he is right or wrong

Does anyone out there have the same issue with there handbrake?
Will

·
Registered
418 Posts
I never apply my handbrake in that way. Why expose the ratchet to wear every time you pull the brake; I press the release button for both application and release.Also I only use the handbrake when parked on an incline, otherwise I just leave the car parked in gear, this minimises damage caused by a shunt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JOHNWALES said:
I never apply my handbrake in that way. Why expose the ratchet to wear every time you pull the brake; I press the release button for both application and release.Also I only use the handbrake when parked on an incline, otherwise I just leave the car parked in gear, this minimises damage caused by a shunt.
John I do the same thing, but it was to give an indication on how much travel was in the handbrake before holding the car, that's why I indicated eight ratchet's ! as it had drum brakes on the rear and are self adjusting I would have expected less travel in the leaver, As it's a manual gearbox I always leave it in gear when parked.
no need to if you have an automatic as when in park it locks the gearbox and holds the car .But you will know that already .
Will

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'vejust checked and managedseven clicks until thehandbrake was hard on. I did think the travel slightly excessive when I first got the car but seeing as it works just fine even on steep hills I didn't pursue it. Any kind of gradient I also stick it gear. Normal pulling pressure gets me six clicks.
My previous 2004 C Max, my wife's 2005 Fiesta ST and my 2005 Transit Connect van all have slightly less clicks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dagdave said:
I'vejust checked and managedseven clicks until thehandbrake was hard on. I did think the travel slightly excessive when I first got the car but seeing as it works just fine even on steep hills I didn't pursue it. Any kind of gradient I also stick it gear. Normal pulling pressure gets me six clicks.
My previous 2004 C Max, my wife's 2005 Fiesta ST and my 2005 Transit Connect van all have slightly less clicks.
Thanks dagdave
That's all I wanted to know.
Will

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just taking a note of JOHNWALES post, a very dangerous practice to put the handbrake on with the release button pressed.
Handbrakes are designed for longevity to pull on with the ratchet. All car manuals will tell you not to press the release button when putting your handbrake on. When using the ratchet you canaudibly hear it click on and you know it is secure.

I speak on a personal experience when I thought the same as JOHNWALES and use to practice what he does, until the day when the handbrake only went mid ratchet and not a full click, andas I was getting out of the car it slipped of the ratchet and started to roll back. Never again!

I do not think you will find any car manual that tells you to put your handbrake on in this un safe manner.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I do not think the practice of pressing the release button when applying the handbrake can be classified as 'very dangerous' - to quote Specialk. Handbrakes may be designed for longevity, but so are clutches, gearboxes and brakes; and the practise of utilising the ratchets is bound to cause wear to the system which could eventually cause excessive wear and failure.
What is very dangerous ( in my opinion ) is not to check once parked that the car is secure, by pushing down on the handbrake, and in reverse gear, or first gear, depending on the geography of the parking area. In Specialk's case his carwouldnot have moved had heleft it in first gear or park.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I was taught by Police instructors many years ago to press the handbrake button before applying the brake and release it when required.

My wife is being taught by a civilian instructor currently and has also been told to press the button as I was.

Apart from reducing wear it removes the annoying noise of a ratchet which is totally unnecessary.

When I hear that noise I always feel that the driver is a relative novice.

By all means listen to the ratchet to decide on handbrake travel if you must, but good driver knows the 'feel' of the brake and does not need to count clicks.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Will said:
Hi AllHandbrake travel inquiry !
When I picked up my new B-Max I was concerned about the excesstravel in the handbrake,you can pull the leaverup about eight clicks. I thought that was a bit much and asked the dealer to check it out. They told me that was normal for the B-Max Don't know if he is right or wrong

Does anyone out there have the same issue with there handbrake?
Will

Yes, I had mine adjusted on first service having allowed the systems to 'wear in'. I had been told (maybe in this forum) that adjustment was not possible but that was incorrect.

I didn't count the clicks but it felt too high when applied. After adjustment is was normal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
From the manual.

All Vehicles
Note: Do not press the release button while
pulling the lever up.
To apply the parking brake:
1. Press the foot brake pedal firmly.
2. Pull the parking brake lever up to its fullest extent.
To release the parking brake:
1. Press the brake pedal firmly.
2. Pull the lever up slightly.
3. Press the release button and push the lever down.

You may remember makem, from a recent post-that making assumptions about people can cause problems on forums.
I can assure you I am no novice and I am a highly qualified driver, more than people may realise. I was pointing out the correct way to apply the handbrake and not worry about wear and tear but to be safe.
And re JOHNWALES leaving it off altogether but in gear on level ground because of possibly less damage to the car if hit, is obviously not thinking about how much further his car could travel when shunted. With the handbrake on there may be more damage to the car but with it off it may just fly up the road and hit the young woman with the child in a pram. Oh dear, never mind!!!!!!
By the way, as posted , the B Max is going so signing off and finishing with the forum and will not see the replies. Please Please Please be safeEdited by: Specialk

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thank God we seem to have seen the last of Mr. Kellogs. The trouble with that guy is he always thinks he is right.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Seems we had a thought policeman!

My comment still stands regardless of the manual and I ever said anyone was a novice. I said it made me THINK of a novice when I HEARD the sound.

However John, I do agree with his comment about not applying the handbrake. That is an offence if I remember rightly, for the reason he stated.
Edited by: makem

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oooop's, a little white lie, and apology's to you Makem,
Not leaving, but my ploy works and I get the comment I thought fromJOHNWALES. I always said that you have won the argument when people start to get personal, and although my forum tag (if you like) has no reference to my real name he has to come in with his Mr Kellogs comment. I fear Princessmax was right in her conclusions.

For everybody who reads this, take note of his last comment about me always being right, and his comment in this post about leaving the handbrake off onan un attended vehicle, then take a look at almost all of his forum posts ( and I advise everybody to bring up his profile and check his posts)and how many times he himself contradicts people ( almost always ), and then make your mind up who you think is always right. My conclusion is that JOHNWALES fits the profile of always being right.

I urge everybody on this forum to think carefully about what he says in his posts, ashe has a tendencytogive wrongandpotentially dangerous advice.

Edited by: Specialk

·
Registered
418 Posts
I will always contradict people who produce rubbish theories, and Mr. Kellog has been quite good at this.I also take offence at his accusation that I have a tendancy to give wrong and dangerous advice, and I am always wary of people who claim they are very experienced drivers; they are usually the ones with points on their licence or inside overtakers on motorways. Please note I am not suggesting that Specialk is in this category. I acknowledge that leaving a vehicle without the handbrake on could violate the law, and I would not do this if parked on a steep hill; however being parked in reverse or first gear is a very safe situation for an unattended car on level or slight inclines.
I could point out that the Ford Manual also suggests that cars should be parked with the steering wheel turned towards the kerb; I consider this a potential hazard for the baby in a pram, because any impact could send that vehicle over a path.
My theory is that you start to learn to drive when you have passed your test, and the biggest asset in becoming a good driver is common sense.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Specialk said:
From the manual.

All Vehicles
Note: Do not press the release button while
pulling the lever up.
To apply the parking brake:
1. Press the foot brake pedal firmly.
2. Pull the parking brake lever up to its fullest extent.
To release the parking brake:
1. Press the brake pedal firmly.
2. Pull the lever up slightly.
3. Press the release button and push the lever down.

You may remember makem, from a recent post-that making assumptions about people can cause problems on forums.
I can assure you I am no novice and I am a highly qualified driver, more than people may realise. I was pointing out the correct way to apply the handbrake and not worry about wear and tear but to be safe.
And re JOHNWALES leaving it off altogether but in gear on level ground because of possibly less damage to the car if hit, is obviously not thinking about how much further his car could travel when shunted. With the handbrake on there may be more damage to the car but with it off it may just fly up the road and hit the young woman with the child in a pram. Oh dear, never mind!!!!!!
By the way, as posted , the B Max is going so signing off and finishing with the forum and will not see the replies. Please Please Please be safe

ANOTHER false statement !!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stop all this aggro.

All I askedfor was the handbrake lever travel ! and was eight clicks excessive.Will

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would just like to say boys nice argument, This is one way for people to attain a conclusion of the topic, But i would just like to get my say in. I think pressing the button & foot peddle would be fine in maintaining long life of the ratchet. & doing the job its supposed to.
Haw ever if the hand brake is not used regular Will it not cease up
Also I wonder how much further damage will be dun to the gear box if hit by other vehicle.

By the way all
I'm a new be to the forum would just like to say HI ALL
BMaxDon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts