Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there have any knowledge of designing routes for GPS navigation in the EU using Garmin's Basecamp program?

In the profile setup the program allows changes to 'Interstates', 'State Highways', 'Major Highways' and 'Residential Roads'.

I need to relate these to UK and or EU roads to enable me to choose a fast route of a slow countryside route.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Best I could find was a way of using Google earth to mark out your route (as you can see the roads clearly and identify them without issue).. and then import the route as a file into yourGarmin's Basecamp program.

Take a look at this video :
<div style="text-align: center;">[TUBE]http://youtu.be/K9SbDRlkwEc[/TUBE]

<div style="text-align: center;">

<div style="text-align: left;">You will also need a "KML To GPX Converter",
to convert your file from Google Earth, to Basecamp. You can download that here :
http://www.mediafire.com/?4schrefk8gjy6
<div style="text-align: left;">

<div style="text-align: left;">Hope this helps... I will keep looking for a more straight forwardapproachin the mean time..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for trying to help but what I need is the reverse of what you suggest.

I am able to import a gpx file into GE but unable to form a roue from it. The waypoints appear on the GE map but I cannot find a way to join them into a continuous route. I am researching that.

I want to be able to view my route at street level as far as possible.

My question related to road name conventions ie. is a State Highway a motorway? If so what is an Interstate etc.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
637 Posts
This has had me confused for the past hour.....

I believe now, taking info from several sites, that :-

Interstate: in the US, is a 'State to State' connection road, so for us inEnglandit would be a road connecting the shires, M1 etc... and they are consideredtrunk roadsas they are the main roads used to move
freight
to and from airports / sea ports etc.. to major cities.

<b style="line-height: 1.4;">State highways:[/b], are the A and B roads in England
and connect towns and cities to each other

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is the thing, The USA uses the title "Major Highway" as a grouping, and then has sub treecategoriesthat come off it. Nothing points to 'Major Highway' as being its own entity. I would assume that Interstates and numbered highways are what is classed as major highways, the remainder are carriageways, A & B roads.

Definition : Major Highway
a major roadway thatcarrieshigh volumes of traffic; the breakdown of which in descending order is:

<b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 13px; : rgb239, 239, 239; max-width: 690px; line-height: normal;">Interstates[/b](90/10 federal/state financing),

<b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 13px; : rgb239, 239, 239; max-width: 690px; line-height: normal;">US-numbered highways[/b](50/50 federal/state financing);

<b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 13px; : rgb239, 239, 239; max-width: 690px; line-height: normal;">state roads[/b](no federal, state funding only) and

<b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 13px; : rgb239, 239, 239; max-width: 690px; line-height: normal;">local roads and streets[/b](local financing only)

(Source Site -
http://www.springerreference.com/docs/html/chapterdbid/196158.html)

Sorry, best I can do for you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts