Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I have had my Bmax for over 18 months now and in that time I have covered some 22k miles. This mileage has taken in some 2 trips to Spain, through France. My daily commute is a 25 mile round trip, 2 miles on 20/30 roads and then onto a national speed limit road with a couple of roundabouts. I do drive looking at what is ahead and reacting to it, leaving myself with as little braking to do as possible.
Although my dashboard counter reads, 60mpg with an average speed of 27mph, I am getting over 63mpg when checked at the fuel pumps. I would just like to know if this is good/bad mpg by anyone elses standards? Given that I have the 1.6 diesel, 5 speed manual and I do use the ancillaries as and when to make the journey comfortable. During summer for example, my air conditioning didn't get switched off for over 3 months.
Wait to hear from you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
60 mpg equals 4.7 l for 100 km.
After 2500 km I have 6.5... We did only one long trip to the (Black) Sea side (460 km); the rest are just very short journeys of around 30 km each.
So I'm still dreaming of such consumption as yours! :>Edited by: vdragoslav

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am getting 68 Mpg with the later 1.5 diesel, I have been using BP Ultimate diesel for the last two thousand miles and it has improved the Mpg by 2, but at 133.9 per litre I do not think it pays to use it, before I was using Asda at about 117.7, I cannot detect any difference between using the aircon and not.

Edited by: jackkook

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thesediesel mpg figures are great. Shame they are such poluting menaces.

I'm very happy with 45 mpg from my 1.0 litre petrol considering its performance levels.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sounds like a good mpg to me, far better than I get in my 1,6 petrol auto. Although I only use it for short local trips.
Your calculations when filling from full to full, will be more accurate than the digital readout.
You also save very little by not using the air con. It needs to be used regularly to keep
the seals in good condition.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
AC will cause an 8% increase in fuel consumption on average.

I tend to use mine in hot weather to cool the car and in cold weather to avoid misting up.

I do leave it switched off at other times unless it hasnt been used for a couple of weeks for 15 or 20 mins to keep it in tiptop conditiin.

Also recirculating cabin air makes the AC have to work less hard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I never notice any difference in consumption using AC or not. Currently my 1.5TDCi Bmax's Fuel econ screen shows 62.8, most driving is on the motorway and I rarely go over 65mph. As a guide I try not to go over 2100rpm ever !!

·
Registered
188 Posts
It used to be the case that a/c did use more fuel, around 5-10% but that was in the days where everything was belt driven including the fan. Of course, it must use someenergy even if it's just the extra load on the alternator to drive the fan, but I've found it to be negligible. The fan motor on my 4x4 is PWM controlled andI leave the a/c on all the time. Never noticed any difference in fuel economy. Driving style is the biggest threat.Incidentally, have any of you noticed that sometimes the a/c come on by itself after starting? This a useful feature by Ford to ensure the a/c at least gets some use for those who never switch it on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes my Aircon comes on by it self, if you switch for manual to auto it come on which shows it should always be on when you are using auto, I think it will not be working all the time the light is on, the auto control will turn it off if not needed, even though the light is always on in auto.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is this believable? :-?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The maximum torque is at X rpm. Please tell methe number that replaces the X for DuraTorq 1.5 95 HP! ;;) Where can I find it written (excepting your answer)? :>

·
Super Moderator
559 Posts
vdragoslav said:
The maximum torque is at X rpm. Please tell methe number that replaces the X for DuraTorq 1.5 95 HP! ;;) Where can I find it written (excepting your answer)? :>
a quick search found X=3,750 rpm

edit: sorry, thats max power ;-(
edit 2: X=215 N·m @ 1,750 rpm [~1700-2400]
link:http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2017/2354075/ford_b-max_1_5_tdci_95_titanium.html

general data below
<div ="kp-er"="" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQ3z4IbygA" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"><div ="kp-hc"="" style="margin-bottom: 0px; padding-top: 12px; padding-bottom: 12px; : relative; display: inline-block; width: 454px;"><div ="_tn="" _iwg="" _hwg="" mod"="" -md="16" -hveid="112" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQhygIcDAK" style="clear: none; padding-top: 0px; border-radius: 2px; line-height: 1.24;"><div ="_fdf="" _odf"="" style="padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; margin-top: 0px; : relative;"><div ="_q1n"="" aria-level="3" role="ing"><div ="kno-ecr-pt="" kno-fb-ctx="" rhstl5"="" -local-attribute="d3bn" id="rhs_title" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQ3B0IeSgBMAo" style="color: rgba0, 0, 0, 0.87; line-height: 1.2; margin-bottom: -3px; overflow: ; font-family: arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif; display: inline; font-size: 24px; : relative; trans-origin: left top 0px; word-wrap: break-word;">Ford B-Max 1.5 TDCi 95PS Titanium Navigator
<div ="_gdf="" kno-fb-ctx"="" style="color: rgb119, 119, 119; margin: 4px 0px; overflow: ;">Subcompact car

<div ="_g1d="" _wle="" _xle"="" style="border-top: 1px solid rgb235, 235, 235; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"><div ="_rbg"=""><div ="mod"="" -md="30" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQkCkIeygBMAs" style="clear: none; padding-top: 0px; border-radius: 2px; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; line-height: 1.24;">
<div ="mod"="" -md="1001" -hveid="124" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQkCkIfCgCMAw" style="clear: none; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; line-height: 1.24;"><div ="_efb"=""><div ="_mr="" kno-fb-ctx"="" -attrid="kc:/automotive/build:model year" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQyxMIfSgAMAw" style="margin-top: 7px;">Model:
Ford B-Max

<div ="mod"="" -md="1001" -hveid="128" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQkCkIgAEoAzAN" style="clear: none; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; line-height: 1.24;"><div ="_efb"=""><div ="_mr="" kno-fb-ctx"="" -attrid="kc:/automotive/build:msrp" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQyxMIgQEoADAN" style="margin-top: 7px;">RRP:
£19,195

<div ="mod"="" -md="1001" -hveid="131" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQkCkIgwEoBDAO" style="clear: none; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; line-height: 1.24;"><div ="_efb"=""><div ="_mr="" kno-fb-ctx"="" -attrid="kc:/automotive/build:fuel_economy" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQyxMIhAEoADAO" style="margin-top: 7px;">Fuel economy:
74mpg combined (71 city, 79 highway)

<div ="mod"="" -md="1001" -hveid="134" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQkCkIhgEoBTAP" style="clear: none; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; line-height: 1.24;"><div ="_efb"=""><div ="_mr="" kno-fb-ctx"="" -attrid="kc:/automotive/build:horsepower" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQyxMIhwEoADAP" style="margin-top: 7px;">Horsepower:
70kW @ 3,750rpm

<div ="mod"="" -md="1001" -hveid="137" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQkCkIiQEoBjAQ" style="clear: none; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; line-height: 1.24;"><div ="_efb"=""><div ="_mr="" kno-fb-ctx"="" -attrid="kc:/automotive/build:towing_capacity" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQyxMIigEoADAQ" style="margin-top: 7px;">Towing capacity:
575kg

<div ="mod"="" -md="1001" -hveid="140" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQkCkIjAEoBzAR" style="clear: none; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; line-height: 1.24;"><div ="_efb"=""><div ="_mr="" kno-fb-ctx"="" -attrid="kc:/automotive/build:engine_summary" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQyxMIjQEoADAR" style="margin-top: 7px;">Engine:
1.5L 4-cylinder diesel

<div ="mod"="" -md="1001" -hveid="143" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQkCkIjwEoCDAS" style="clear: none; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; line-height: 1.24;"><div ="_efb"=""><div ="_mr="" kno-fb-ctx"="" -attrid="kc:/automotive/build:weight" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQyxMIkAEoADAS" style="margin-top: 7px;">Kerb weight:
1,316kg

<div ="_wtj="" mod"="" -md="1001" -hveid="146" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQkCkIkgEoCTAT" style="clear: none; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px; line-height: 1.24; padding-bottom: 15px;"><div ="_efb"=""><div ="_mr="" kno-fb-ctx"="" -attrid="kc:/automotive/build:acceleration_0_100_kph" -ved="0ahUKEwjXyuXWvofYAhXHDcAKHWs-B6sQyxMIkwEoADAT" style="margin-top: 7px;">Acceleration 0-62 mph:
13seconds

Edited by: Gremlin

·
Registered
212 Posts
An answer more than perfect! :> Thank you!!!

I've read that when new an engine like this should be used gently by not pushing the pedal beyond that rpm, especialy when starting over a few days, as I do, on a morning when it's less than zero degrees Celsius.
I forgot I read once about those 1750 rpm... :">

Thanks again! :>

P. s. Mine doesn't have navigation, the cost was 15600 ‚¬ and I never saw 74 or at least 71 mpg. ;;)Edited by: vdragoslav

·
Registered
5 Posts
Afternoon everyone from a happy B-max owner:)

Thanx to vdragoslav
I'm re-sending my post to the most accurate thread.

Could not complainfn about this car too much so I gifted with a K
&
N
air
filter and bluefin remap before the trip not having any "source" fuel consumption details from any long run.

Today
after doing almost 3700km mostly on motorways I was given a result
which is not really what I wanted to see: between 5.2 and 5.4l / 100km.
The car drunk 200l
while going @70mph with cruise crtl. The fuel was a
mixture of the UK, German
and
Polish

I'm curious what Ford meant providing us with the information about 3.8l/100km in the user manual
. Probably it was when you run at motorway with the speed of 30mph...

Know you may have some experience in this area so you can tell me if there's anything to be concerned about.

Thx,
Kr,
Y.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't mention me, please! It's just that some Italian owners posted those images of their B-MAX's consumption of 4.3 l/100 km that I didn't know how to share to you elsewhere. ;;)

My answer to your (as well as my) question would be something like this: I guess Ford put a real engine (identical to those we bought) on a (not virtual) testing workbench, but... there was no load at all to burden its task (no chassis or winds or hills...). :> Am I wrong?.. :-?Edited by: vdragoslav

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.