Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in reference to the Powershift specifically

We've had our Powershift for about 16 months, and in all that time I've had the average fuel consumption displayed.
Apart from one dual carriageway trip after a reset (where it went to about 50mpg) it has been pretty steady at around 35mpg.
This is for local driving around town, no long trips, and in hot and cold weather. Yesterday I noticed it creeping up, until it
leveled out at 39mpg. Anyone any idea as to why the change ? Nothing to do with weather or driving style.

·
Registered
453 Posts
if you know the numbers are correct, and driving style hasn't changed, and know it can't be the weather
it must be the fuel you are using, or have changed the air filter, or done an oil change, or perhaps even tyres are wearing down/ or slightly soft (or hard). all of these /can/ change the fuel consumption or apparent consumption.
or indeed if you had a recent update to the transmission control module, (or even wear on the clutches) that could account for it too

without a lot more details, we can all only guess.

my guess is driving more gently in winter weather.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who knows ?, it's a mystery to me. Nothing has changed on the car.
It had changed pretty quickly over a couple of days.
Maybe it's a glitch on the computer, and it will soon go back to what it was.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi

I'd be interested to know what mileage the car has covered: as I've posted before that I have a suspicion that the Engine Management on modern cars seems to be linked to the mileage covered and at significant mileages (e.g. 5K, 10K, 20K) the mapping changes and improvements in the consumption result. I have absolutely no proof for that, but that my previous motors seem to have conformed to the idea.

Cheers,
Geri

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Geri, I havee the same suspicion and there maybe some logic behind it. Perhaps as an engine gets older and loosens up, it requires a weaker fuel/air mixture and this could easily be written into the engine management software.

My 1.0 123bhp has averaged 46.2 mpg over its first 20k miles, but I recall it was somewhat less than that at first.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Present mileage is 9504, and the average has slipped back to 36 mpg as quickly as it went up.
Just a temporary glitch maybe ?. I could check it properly on fuel fill, but I don't think I can be bothered to be honest. :)
The trip is on 350 miles, so it's shouldn't have changed that quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts