Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had second service at 23K, not really happy as front disks have been marked down as below minimum thickness, presumably the original owner (motability) were a bit harsh on the brakes<div abp="896">
<div abp="897">Changed a fair few in the past so looking to do these myself, any pitfalls with the B-Max/Fiesta (2014)disks

·
Registered
161 Posts
I inspected my pads last week (30k miles) and there's about 5k miles left. Don't mind that one bit but the discs are worn and a lip has appeared on the outside of the discs so they'll need replacing. The wear rate of disc does appear to be due to non asbestos bake pads.It looks a straightforward job to me plus I enjoying replacing brake parts.
The alloy wheels took a bit of shiftingfrom off the hub, copper slip should stop this happening again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main reason why Alloys tend to bind with the iron hubs is the electrolytic corrosion that happens between dissimilar metals. There have been pages and pages of threads discussing the for and against over using copperslip with the majority of those for being based on the "I've used it for years" argument.<div abp="1123">
<div abp="1124">Yes copperslip will reduce binding but adding a 3rd metal is not really fundamentally helpful. The grease base will help the binding but the copper will do nothing for the corrosion. Some manufacturers are using aluminium or Nickel based lubricants for wheel bolts. On aircraft all aluminium assembly was accompanied with copious amounts of JC5A compound, just as well we didn't know how expensive it was.
<div abp="1124">

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for your observations. I am aware of 'fretting' with dissimilar metals. I suppose the answer is to remove the wheels every few months and give the surfaces a good clean.I have used lithium grease on bike parts with dissimilar metals with good results. My mountain bike seat post (aluminium to steel)was smeared with lithium grease 16 years ago and it came out of the frame with ease despite never being moved during the entire 16 years.
I certainly never use copperslip on brake parts, but there was a time when we all used it as you say.Your thoughts on using lithium grease on hub/allow wheels please?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Replaced front discs and pads today. Straightforward job, old discs needed a bit of persuading from the hub.Delphi discs from Autosession £60 a pair andPagid pads which I think were around38 quid a setfrom Europarts.
Considerably cheaper thanusing the main dealer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts