Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 (63) B-max 1.4 Zetec.
The rear boot release button has an integrated L.E.D for luminating the rear number plate. This L.E.D/BULB has failed and as such the number plate isn't lit up at night (which would be an M.O.T fail).

I've researched most online outlets and can't find the part number or replacement. There's plenty of them with just the boot release but I need the integrated L.E.D bulb also.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Edited by: Scottie84

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Was having a look at the manual earlier which says that the bulb is a W5W 5 watt.

Interestingly, this also matches the specifications for the side lamps, approach lamps and luggage compartment lamp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what my Manual suggests also. Imagine my surprise when I released the spring clip and was greeted with a non w5w.

The worrying thing is that I can't seem to find the replacement part that encompasses the boot open button & licence plate lamp. Luckily the not isn't due until October so it's not time critical. I'll just have to speak with a dealer then, was hoping for some help on this forum though.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eventually found the replacement item. Quite difficult to source in U.K. but the FORD part number is 1834376.

It's predominantly advertised as Ford Focus OE boot latch, no mention of being rear licence plate light as well. Looking at around £40 which is an absolute rip off. It means replacing the boot catch just because the LED has failed, it's a bit like buying a new alloy wheel just because you get a flat tyre. Disappointed!!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Halfords have a service where they will supply and fit bulbs at very reasonable prices. Thats assuming that the have the bulb of course, but if its fitted on the Focus, Fiesta and B Max range, etc. You would have thought it to be a fairly common part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Halfords are pretty good for bulbs, they have an excellent online and in store searching service for parts. You can either search by car make and model or just type in your reg number.

Just done mine now and the reg plate bulb comes up as a Halfords 501 W5W, same bulb as on my Fiesta as well. It is also the one fitted in the foot well lights and you can get them in different colours.

Just a thought, there is also a Halfords 501 W5W LED bulb which is a lot brighter and its the one the "boy racer types " fit in the plate light lamps for "customisation", Totally illegal in fact there is a warning on the packet saying only for off road and internal use,

Cheers John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just come across this thread when looking for advice.Here's my experience.
The lamp/switch unit is a sealed component, the lamp cannot be replaced separately. The switch assy part number is F1886014, cost £40.40 from Ford UK. I believe this unit is unique to the B max.
The unit can be levered out carefully with a short wide bladed screwdriver, using a cloth to protect the surround. The unit is retained by two integral plastic clips. Levering the unit out will probably bend one clip. This can be bent back if the unit is to be reused.
The unit connects with a 3 pin block connector. To check the wiring integrity, pin 3 numbered on the connector (blue/green wire) should show 12v to earth pin 1: black wire) when the lights are on. Shorting pin 1 to pin 2 (red/white wire) should operate the boot catch relay (audible click). I used short thin pins pushed into block connector for this test.
I'm red/green/brown colour blind, so I might have identified the colours wrongly.
When I get time, I'll try and cut the old one open and replace the LED.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just in case.... If your car is less than 3 years old, ford replace it all for free under warranty. Mine has just gone... LED unit gone within 3 years isn't nice to hear.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Soynds like anorher bit of absolutely ridiculous design by ford. In fact if you read this forum it is littered with people having problems fitting bulbs, particularly in the rear end.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discovered after I bought my car, second hand, that the luggage compartment lamp wasn't working. OK, not an essential source of light but a useful one, nonetheless.

Unclipped the lens to check and lo and behold, no bulb. Odd, I thought, till I started researching the cost and availability of a replacement. Someone's presumably cannibalised my car at some point, prior to my purchasing it, to replace a blown or missing bulb in another car; possibly whilst its been in for service.
Annoying.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The usual reason for removing a luggage compartment bulb is that the switch is bust and its cheaper to just remove the bulb. I've done this for several people who dont want to buy a swich amd would rather have a dark boot after finding it th be yhe source of battery drain.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The number plate "bulb" is most definatley not replacable by itself. It is a LED type light that is fitted within the boot mechanism and it costs £40.32ish from Ford. But as previously posted, if your car is under 3 years old, Ford will replace it as it is a unit failure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts