Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have noticed that my B-Max would only defrost the passenger side of my windscreen for the first 5 mins and then the driver side will start to defog/defrost after.( i have attached a pic as an example). I am not particularly concerned as it does work after 5 to 10 mins but it is still an inconvience espescially if i am in a rush. Wondering if any of you have encountered it and know a way around it to get it fixed.

Also my windscreen washer is not working for some reason and i would like to know if there is a way to determine the cause of it other than a fuse issue and if it's best to replace the washer pump myself or best to take it to a garage.

Many Thanks you all
Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
185 Posts
B-Max uses a smart charging system to try ensure that there is as much power in the battery to start the engine. This can take several hundred amps! And that's why it only defrosts half the screen as any resistive loads are power hungry.
It's a pity it defrosts the passenger side first; this could be a lhd/rhd issue, i've no idea. But it's quite normal in cold weather and there's not a lot you can do about it unless you're more than very competent with auto electrics. My advice is leave well alone.
Are the screenwash jets frozen? If not, get someone to operate the screenwasher while you stand outside the car and you should hear it running. If not, check the fuse as per the handbook.
The pump is situated under the front wheel arch lining if it need changing.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
My B-max also only clears half the screen at a time.
Mine does the drivers side first though. I have had this before on other cars i have owned or driven for work so i know it's normal ,as Pegleg says above about resistive loads.
And ,as i've been told by a ford mechanic, the front window is actually controlled by two relays, one for each half of the screen, as using one would be too load intensive and burn a single one out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts