Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two pronged question, if anyone can give me pointers it will be much appreciated.
Firstly - Where does the footwell illumination connect to ?
It must connect to a fuse, but which one ?
Secondly, in the front doors there are red plastic inserts that look like lights. They do not work as i assume there are no "guts" inside them.
Can i connect a small led light to the same connector as the footwell illumination and run it to the red plastic housing ?
Would doing so cause a can bus error ?
Failing a connection to the same fuse as the footwell lights, is there an empty fuse way that would be used for the red door lights if the model of the car was higher spec ?
Hope all is explained well enough for you to understand and that someone can help.
Cheers guys n gals.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I don't think you would gain much from trying to connect a live wire to a reflector, Wiggy. I would forget that idea if I were you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a reflector.
On my car there are two red plastic lenses with nothing behind them. They are in the same place as on other B-max's that have the red illumination as a warning when the door is opened.
I have some LED's that i can wire up and put inside the red lenses but i'm unsure as to where i can connect them.
The door switch would be ideal so they operate when the interior lighs do, but where is the switch or fuse ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't think any of the b-max's lit the edge of the door.
but you should be able to wire a new light in within the door itself. using the door 'ajar' signal*. and while you are at it, you could fit 'puddle' lights at the bottom of the door mirror - referred to in some versions of the handbook, but also never fitted.
* signal between the door control module, - yes each door has it's own ecu! that provides the signals to the Body Control Module for the door open functions.
I believe the signal is pulled to ground, but you might still need an amp (simple transistor circuit) so you don't overload the internals of the door control unit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not as straight forward as i had hoped then.
Why do cars have to be so complicated, give me the old days when i could do anything on a car. Now i need a qualification just to wire a simple light lol.

·
Registered
479 Posts
well you could just wire it to the usb/ or12v 'cigarette lighter' circuit, which is only powered when the car is awake, and stops ~ 10 mins after turning off. no-one will see it on with the door closed, and will be off most of the time the car is stationary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts