Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am hoping someone can help with my noise problem on a 2012 1.0Ltr Ford B-Max Titanium, with 28000 miles on the clock.
When turning right I get a clunking noise from the front left (Passenger) side, this generally happens at low speed and when the road I am turning into is either slightly bumpy or drops away a little.
I have jacked up the front of the car and had a visual and push/pull inspection, of links, gaiters, arms, bushes and suspension. The only things that moved at all were the anti-roll bar links, and that was just that they both twisted a slight amount, and both looked perfectly okay. I should also say that the tyres are not showing any signs of uneven wear.
My question is should the anti-roll bar links be able to twist (not move backwards and forwards) a slight amount.

Regards,

Easydozit

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You could ask one of the garages who do a free safety check to have a look at it for you - you are under no obligation to have any work needed done by them. I've found Halfords pretty good in this respect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could ask one of the garages who do a free safety check to have a look at it for you - you are under no obligation to have any work needed done by them. I've found Halfords pretty good in this respect.
Thanks for the reply cianpars,

I forgot to mention that I had already taken it to my local garage and although they said they had heard the noise they could not find anything wrong.

Regards.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The one time i had the clunking noise from the front end it was down to the drive shaft universal joint being worn out.
Not on the B-max but another front wheel drive car, the joint actually fell onto the floor in bits when it was taken apart.
I replaced both sides and the noise went.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one time i had the clunking noise from the front end it was down to the drive shaft universal joint being worn out.
Not on the B-max but another front wheel drive car, the joint actually fell onto the floor in bits when it was taken apart.
I replaced both sides and the noise went.
Hi Wiggy,

Thanks for the reply.
Excuse my ignorance but I thought drive shaft universal joints were only used on rear wheel and 4 wheel drive vehicles.
I have checked the CV joints (amongst other things) and they seem to be okay, though I suppose with this type of fault replacing suspect items is the only way to be sure.
Also my B-Max has only done 28000 miles.

Regards,
Easydozit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Eazy
A CV joint is similar to a UJ, but you are right in your assumption about each joint.
Years ago we called the CV joint a UJ regardless and the spares guys knew what we wanted.
They have been known to fail at low mileages especially if the grease in the joint has escaped through a split in the rubber boot.

·
Registered
453 Posts
a clunking noise has been reported many times, as the car manoeuvres slowly over complex slopes.
usually it is reported as coming from the back of the car as the body twists on its mounting bushes, but realistically is not much of an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts