Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up to now I haven't needed to do this but I was under the impression that they folded flat, not like the Fusion where there was always a 'step' I imagine it is operator error
have looked in the manual but all it says is the seat cushion lowers with the seat back. But mine certainly doesn't go flat the cushion oly lowers a tiny bit. Would welcome any help - its probably me!?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I don't think it can be operator error because you can only move them down, no other choice. What happens is automatic and you cannot change where they end up.

I often have to fold at least one seat down to house our folding bikes. I think, when it says 'fold flat' it means there is not a high step at any point. if you fold down the front seat and also the rear seat you will find than you could push in a large long package without the need to lift it over a step once it is resting on the rear of the boot.

When I fold the seats I do see the sitting part of the seat slide backwards a little to allow the shape of the seat back to better fit the shape of the sitting part making the result flatter then if the seat did not move. Overall, the seats fold to give an upward sloping 'flat' area.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bilbopup,
I have to agree with Makem, the rear seats do have a 'gentle' slope when in the down position. The position is much better than the Fusion, as like you, I found the step was awkward at times to lift items over to get them to sit flat. At least with the B-Max, its a lot easier, especially with the rear door configuration

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I most definitely have a big 'step' between the boot proper and the seats folded down. So somehow it isn't working properly, I could not slide anything along from the boot to the front passenger seat(folded) of course.Will try and take a pic tomorrow and see what you think. Thanks for your replies

Just found this on Youtube - mine is not like this
not flat at all.. .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUmq7BwPCwE
Edited by: Bilbopup

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
When you say, "big 'step' between the boot proper and the seats folded down", do you mean that you have removed the lid of the 'hidden' compartment in the boot?

The lid of that hidden area is part of the area we talk about when we say there isn't any high step. Of course, if you remove that, then there will be a step. The whole reason for having that lid is to give you a continuous area back to front.

I and I think most will leave that cover/lid in place during normal circumstances and place boot contents on top of it. I have once removed it to gain extra height but then where do you put the lid if you don't leave it behind?

I know these are LH drive vehicles but the show what I mean.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi BilbopupHas someone stolen the wooden (felt covered) false floor from your car, If this is removed you will certainly have quite a step up to the back of the folded rear seats!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great minds are certainly better than this numpty!!
I told you it was operator error!! I have had the boot floor thingy out for so long I had forgotten about it and in the midle of the night woke up with the 'eureka' moment realising how stupid I had been. Not sure I should even be a B-Max owner
hope you will still allow me to be a member
thanks for all your input folks. Will try hard to be less of an idiot!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't know if this helps, but I keep the removable solid floor (with the handling cut-out) laid down on top of the soft one. It takes a little bit of fiddling about to get it below its normal supported position; but when there, it gets most of the extra height plus it does not have to be left on my garage floor - never a good thing.

Geriatricus

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Geriatricus said:
Don't know if this helps, but I keep the removable solid floor (with the handling cut-out) laid down on top of the soft one. It takes a little bit of fiddling about to get it below its normal supported position; but when there, it gets most of the extra height plus it does not have to be left on my garage floor - never a good thing.

Geriatricus
Really?

That is worth trying, thanks.

Can't see how it does if sit on the sides so is wider, but, if you say it does, I will certainly fiddle!

·
Registered
230 Posts
makem said:
Really?

That is worth trying, thanks.

Can't see how it does if sit on the sides so is wider, but, if you say it does, I will certainly fiddle!
Makem,

It is no wider in the model I have so there is no side support, it is only longer than the distance between the front and rear supports. so if you place it under the front ledge, there is just enough length to then get it to slide forward and drop under the rear ledge, then slide backwards.

Geriatricus.

P.S. is that Makem as in Black Cats?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geriatricus said:
Makem,

It is no wider in the model I have so there is no side support, it is only longer than the distance between the front and rear supports. so if you place it under the front ledge, there is just enough length to then get it to slide forward and drop under the rear ledge, then slide backwards.

Geriatricus.
Off outside to see if I can do this as have a Studio too. Will let you know. . . .

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My spatial awareness must be absolute rubbish
it fits perfectly, thank you Geriatricus!! Wonderful, as have got fed up leaving it around the house. I have to put the dogbed in the boot vertically when I drop him at the kennels - it wont fit with it in place - this will be a perfect compromise - and I can replace it immediately afterwards without having to pick it up at home again.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Like the lifts in Hitchiker's Guide, 'Glad to be of Service'

Geriatricus

1 - 18 of 18 Posts