Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time on the forum so excuse my rambling. Bought my 2013 B-Max Titanium 1.6 auto 20 months ago as it is ideal for a family member with mobility problems. Already had 2 replacement clutch packs under warranty but that's another story.

I have 2 very annoying rattles I want to fix. The first is the drivers side rear door that has overnight started rattling terribly. at the front top of the door is what I can only describe as a spike or tapered pin facing forward, at the back of this there is a hexagon nut with a rubber grommet that has split in two and presumably is causing the rattle. I took the car into the supplying dealership who told me they wanted £109 to diagnose the fault and stated it would probably need a new hinge. I'm sure a replacement grommet would do the trick, can anyone tell me where I can buy such a thing so I can at least try the simple and presumably economic repair.

The second rattle is the drivers door handle containing the electric window switches, it is loose and I want to know how to dismantle it to tighten up what I assume are loose screws under one or more covers. I don't want to break said covers by trying to get them off in the wrong manner.

Advice appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for that, I'll try it 'gingerly' I always have a fear of snapping the plastic clips off if I prise it in the wrong place. I will try it and advise the outcome, thank you again for pointing me in the right direction, 1 down 1 to go.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drivers door rattle now solved thanks to advice given. Now I've had chance to look in more detail at the rear sliding door problem, the pin I referred to and the rubber grommet - it appears that is not a rubber grommet or washer at all but a hexagon nut that had the rubber material bonded to it. This has separated from the nut and made it look like it was a grommet/washer. I swapped it with the same undamaged nut from the passenger side and the rattle stopped. Presumably I just need to get a new nut from my local Ford parts department, any advice about adjustment of the thing will be appreciated as there is a lock nut behind it to presumably set the correct position. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. I have got the same problem with the driver side front door. I cannot work out how to tighten it up, but the problem is at the back end of the door handle. I have temperately cured it by putting a piece of tissue paper in the gap !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. have just fixed the same rattly door problem with mine !!
If you carefully pull off the shiny curved cover just under the switch unit, (it has press studs), you will find two hex head screws holding the next section in place.
With mine, one of these was loose, and a quick tighten fixed the rattle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very true, and thanks again for yesterday's advice. It's amazing how the car feels so much smoother having no annoying rattles! by definition It can't be smoother, only quieter.

Although I have been able to fix temporarily the other issue I raised over the rear door rattling, I swapped over the rubber covered hexagon nut from the nearside to the offside (the damaged nut I superglued the rubber back on) I visited my local Ford dealer (Evans Halshaw) to buy a new nut and look at their micro-fiche drawing (they couldn't find the product when I phoned them) I was informed that the nut cannot be supplied on it's own but only as part of a new RH door roller at a cost of £38.03 plus fitting. I told them that was somewhat expensive for a rubber coated nut but was advised I could leave the roller part in the box and simply unscrew and replace the nut! I find it very difficult to see the logic of paying £38 for a small nut, this part by it's use must be a consumable item, every time the door is closed the pin to which the nut is fitted goes into a locating hole and the rubberised covering ensures a good fit. Salvage yards here I come!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
which rail is this nut fitted to? top, middle or bottom?, and which end, front or back?
edit
and is it fitted to the body or the door?
a picture may help

Edited by: Gremlin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for response, it is the top rail, there is a horizontal spike facing the front of the car, part way along a threaded portion with the nut I refer to screwed on it, behind this nut a a locknut presumably for locking it in position once horizontal adjustment is right. The nut is the round object with the splines on it. It's like a wheel and tyre with the wheel being the nut and the outside rubber bit the tyre, that's the best I can explain it. This is the picture, hope I've done it correctly!<attachment></attachment>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Gremlin,

You asked and I forgot to answer, the whole roller hinge thing is on the inside of the door. Attached the picture now, don't think it worked on my previous post. Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
yep they seem to be supplied as an assembly, probably the same for many sliding doors too.£40 is about right for the full part

<table ="table table-bordered table-condensed small-font" style="-sizing: border-; border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; width: 747.5px; max-width: 100%; margin-bottom: 5px; border: 1px solid rgb221, 221, 221; font-size: 14px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"><t style="-sizing: border-;"><tr -part="part_25000A" ="pnc_ one_part_pointed" style="-sizing: border-; border: 3px solid rgb66, 139, 202; : rgb109, 173, 203; cursor: pointer;"><td ="allcenter" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; text-align: center; vertical-align: top; line-height: 1.42857; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;"><25000A</td><td ="allcenter" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; text-align: center; vertical-align: top; line-height: 1.42857; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;">1767095</td><td ="allcenter" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; text-align: center; vertical-align: top; line-height: 1.42857; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;">Roller Assy</td><td ="allcenter" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; text-align: center; vertical-align: top; line-height: 1.42857; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;">1.00</td><td style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; line-height: 1.42857; vertical-align: top; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;"><strong style="-sizing: border-;">RH[/b]<ul style="-sizing: border-; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px;"><li style="-sizing: border-;">from 08.08.2012, B-MAX 2012-[/list]</td><td ="allcenter" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; text-align: center; vertical-align: top; line-height: 1.42857; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221; white-space: nowrap;">
</td></tr><tr -part="part_25000A" ="pnc_ one_part_pointed" style="-sizing: border-; border: 3px solid rgb66, 139, 202; : rgb109, 173, 203; cursor: pointer;"><td ="allcenter" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; text-align: center; vertical-align: top; line-height: 1.42857; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;"><25000A</td><td ="allcenter" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; text-align: center; vertical-align: top; line-height: 1.42857; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;">1767096</td><td ="allcenter" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; text-align: center; vertical-align: top; line-height: 1.42857; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;">Roller Assy</td><td ="allcenter" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; text-align: center; vertical-align: top; line-height: 1.42857; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;">1.00</td><td style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; line-height: 1.42857; vertical-align: top; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb221, 221, 221;"><strong style="-sizing: border-;">LH[/b]<ul style="-sizing: border-; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px;"><li style="-sizing: border-;">from 08.08.2012, B-MAX 2012-[/list]</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Gremlin,

Thank you for finally resolving this matter for me, looks like it's £40 or nothing. I hope my fettled part continues to stay together or I might end up have to buy the whole roller hinge eventually but I'm not happy about it, ho hum......you never know I may be able to sell the rest of it on eBay. One odd thing, Ford gave me the part number as 1858458 RH Roller against the 1767095 you gave me?? Thanks again for trying to help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue same place

Hi. have just fixed the same rattly door problem with mine !!
If you carefully pull off the shiny curved cover just under the switch unit, (it has press studs), you will find two hex head screws holding the next section in place.
With mine, one of these was loose, and a quick tighten fixed the rattle.
Did the same with mine. 2 screws behind that glossy finishing strip, both loose. Tightened them both and rattle gone!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had same problem..I cured this by using the rounded base from a to car valve..I pushed it on to the pin curved side facing front...this stopped the rattle..so far seven months no problem...

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first is the drivers side rear door that has overnight started rattling terribly. at the front top of the door is what I can only describe as a spike or tapered pin facing forward, at the back of this there is a hexagon nut with a rubber grommet that has split in two and presumably is causing the rattle.
I was informed that the nut cannot be supplied on it's own but only as part of a new RH door roller at a cost of £38.03 plus fitting. I told them that was somewhat expensive for a rubber coated nut but was advised I could leave the roller part in the box and simply unscrew and replace the nut! I find it very difficult to see the logic of paying £38 for a small nut, this part by it's use must be a consumable item, every time the door is closed the pin to which the nut is fitted goes into a locating hole and the rubberised covering ensures a good fit. Salvage yards here I come!!
Thanks for the confirmation i wanted, as i assumed this perished rubber thingy was the problem.
Local dealer indeed told me as well that the rubber thingy couldn't be bought separately.

That's a wear part, you should need to buy the whole thing.
Maybe Ford reckons the rollers would be worn too, but c'mon!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts